PDA

View Full Version : Good first reads for PLO?

DawnToDusk
08-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Hey. I want to play some PLO, but don't know much about the game besides the basic rules. What books so do you suggest for someone that has lots of hold'em experience? I would like to play PLO just as much as I play hold'em and would take it very seriously.

Thanks for your help in advanced.

DawnToDusk
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
My Dad has Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker by Stewart Reuben & Bob Ciaffone? Pass on it?

DawnToDusk
08-31-2005, 08:04 PM
It seems like some peeps are saying that there really aren't that great of books for omaha. Kind of a trial and error process after getting a run down of the game in SS2 and PL & NL Poker by Ciaffone, etc. Is this what I should do? Just get a good feel and then play a lot and talk with you guys?

nicky g
09-01-2005, 07:24 AM
That's a good book although not a very good introduction to Omaha. Bob Ciaffone's Omaha is a good introduction although I've heard it's out of print. There's a good short intro to the game in Stewart Reuben's How Good is Your Poker. But yes there is a shortage of material on the game and this forum is one of the best available resources.

Spellmen
09-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I would pick up Omaha Hold'em poker by Ciaffone as well. It is the best book out there on PLO for a beginner. It is out of print, but I know you can still get it online. I am sure someone else will chime in where, but I think it is called the Gambler's bookstore or something. I got my copy frmo Cardplayer a few months ago, so you can also try there

Lafortezza
09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd recommend Reuben's "How good is your PL Omaha?"
It's actually not that good for beginners as he plays a fairly loose game (imo) and for different stakes to online, but the discussions of how and why he played a hand a certain way is pretty good.