PDA

View Full Version : AK in position...Standard?

BoxTree
08-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Commerce, 200 NL, 3-5 Blinds, 9-handed

Hero has A/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif on the button.

Six limpers, Hero makes it 40 to go. Four see the flop.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Check, check, check. Hero...?

I feel like checking is the right move. I'm likely to get called all the way by a queen and possibly a reasonable pocket pair (anything over a seven). I don't want to overbet the pot as I'm just inviting a flopped set to smack me in the face. And I think any reasonable bet (2/3 to full pot) will get called only if I'm behind. And with three players (all of them loose), I could very well be behind. Truth be told, I think I'd get called all the way by a guy who decided to see the flop OOP with 43s.

Given all this, am I done with this hand? Am I right to let the chips rot in the pot? Or am I still obligated to make a continuation bet? If I get smooth-called, I'm really done with this hand unless I turn an ace or king. And in that case, I'll still tread lightly.

I find more and more often that bluffing at Commerce 200 NL doesn't make a whole lot of sense since there are a lot of players who call with hands WORSE than TPTK. So it seems better to wait until I have a hand rather than try to represent something that exists only in a dream state. Bluffing calling stations=bad.

Edit: 9-handed, not 8. Sorry.

jkkkk
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM
You raised to $40 pf and get 3 callers... wow, crazy. I check-fold, someone could easily be slow playing their monster by checking to the raiser.

yvesaint
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I give up at this point, and take the free card. 4-way pot on a Q-high board, I'm usually giving up on AK. I find in live games people will call you down with any Q, and many will call with a middle pocket pair. Hope to spike a A or K on the turn, and play it cautiously.

TheWorstPlayer
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
How do you get 6 limpers in an 8-handed game? Anyways, I'll assume that you were counting the blinds or something or it was actually 9-handed and everyone limped or whatever. Anyways, if you are in a game that is this ridiculously loose and this ridiculously short stacked, I would just raise enough preflop here that I am pushing (or calling) any flop no matter what. Just take my chances, try to double up quickly, and then tango for real with the other deeper stacks (assuming that there are some). I can't see the +EV in raising only to 40 if you're not going to push the flop. You only have a pot-sized bet left in your stack anyways. I probably would have made it 60 to go and then just got it all in on the flop pretty much no matter what.

BoxTree
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you get 6 limpers in an 8-handed game? Anyways, I'll assume that you were counting the blinds or something or it was actually 9-handed and everyone limped or whatever. Anyways, if you are in a game that is this ridiculously loose and this ridiculously short stacked, I would just raise enough preflop here that I am pushing (or calling) any flop no matter what. Just take my chances, try to double up quickly, and then tango for real with the other deeper stacks (assuming that there are some). I can't see the +EV in raising only to 40 if you're not going to push the flop. You only have a pot-sized bet left in your stack anyways. I probably would have made it 60 to go and then just got it all in on the flop pretty much no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the stacks are deeper? Let's say I and two of the three callers have 400+ and one has <200.

BoxTree
08-31-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You raised to $40 pf and get 3 callers... wow, crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, it's TYPICAL at this game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif