PDA

View Full Version : What will N.O. be like 6 months ?

08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
I think a lot of the shops around there will cease to exist and I doubt many new shops will be investing in New Orleans. That place will become a ghetto. New Orleans will lose a lot of money because they relied on tourism which will no longer exist like it used to.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That place will become a ghetto.

[/ QUOTE ] There were several places in NO that were incredibly ghetto before Katrina. Look for most of the people who lived there to not return.

swede123
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
It may take a bit longer than six months, but I think it will bounce back OK. I mean, the thing New Orleans has always had wasn't great scenery or climate or anything, it was the ambiance and feel of the city. In a few years this will be restored and I think it will do just fine.

Swede

BusterStacks
08-31-2005, 05:51 PM
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/trio/ub/UB2003/students/quan/images/old-west.jpg

08-31-2005, 05:53 PM
I don't see it bouncing back. I'm wondering where America is getting the money for all this. Where are they going to find 30 billion ? Will we be paying 50 % taxes in the next 10 years ? If so, they will come down hard on online poker for money.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That place will resume being a ghetto.

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel bad saying bad things about NO right now, but...

MyTurn2Raise
08-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I feel even worse saying that it might get better as many from the ghetto there might not come back and rebuild, while those who prospered there are more likely to come back.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I only hope that those in charge of rebuilding consider how damaging having those levies are to the Mississippi delta and how they are affecting flood plans, and wetlands down there. Part of the problem they have down there is that there is no other place for the water to go other than that lake. The wetlands down there have been disappearing rapidly, and those wetlands acted like a sponge /images/graemlins/blush.gif for all that excess water.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while those who prospered there are more likely to come back.

[/ QUOTE ] so what, 20% of the city is coming back or so?

jokerthief
08-31-2005, 06:04 PM
If they don't have the levies, can they even have a city there?

MyTurn2Raise
08-31-2005, 06:05 PM
no levees...no city

08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
surrender the city to the sea. The sea just took back what was rightfully theirs from the beginning. We were just borrowing the land for a while.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they don't have the levies, can they even have a city there?

[/ QUOTE ]Its a tough balancing act. I know that there have been a lot of studies and work done to try and solve the problem. I think that when the city was smaller, it wasn't so much a problem, but as it grew, and with the near annual flooding, the levies were built. I have no clue when this happened. The citizens got use to having them there though, and it took a long time for the effects of the levies on the delta to materialize. Experts had been warning though about stuff like this for a while. There was even a recent(perhaps 6-8 months ago) article in National Geographic about this very thing. I personally don't think this problem can be solved by simply building bigger levies. This is a tough call, but really, that city should not be there.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
surrender the city to the sea. The sea just took back what was rightfully theirs from the beginning. We were just borrowing the land for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]your hyperbole is incredibly stupid.

istewart
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
When the levee breaks...

http://www.richard-seaman.com/USA/Cities/Chicago/Landmarks/ChicagoAtNight.jpg

Pocket Trips
08-31-2005, 06:21 PM
Sea World?

08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was it stupid ? Maybe your stupid.

tbach24
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Just out of curiousity (I know the circumstances are different), how long did it take to rebuild Dresden, Atlanta and Hiroshima? I know that a lot of old stuff can't be rebuilt, but how long until they became cities again? Also, how bad was London after the blitz?

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That comeback was so bad its good.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]My advice, read some geography/geology books.

TheMainEvent
08-31-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel even worse saying that it might get better as many from the ghetto there might not come back and rebuild, while those who prospered there are more likely to come back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think poor people are more likely to move out of a city than wealthier people? All evidence is to the contrary.

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-31-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think poor people are more likely to move out of a city than wealthier people? All evidence is to the contrary.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm not taking either side of this, but the poor people are being bussed out right now. It's not whether they leave so much as whether they (can) come back or not.

mmbt0ne
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Rebuild? What do you mean? I thought you said this was all just a bunch of hype.

jstnrgrs
08-31-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiousity (I know the circumstances are different), how long did it take to rebuild Dresden, Atlanta and Hiroshima? I know that a lot of old stuff can't be rebuilt, but how long until they became cities again? Also, how bad was London after the blitz?

[/ QUOTE ]

There was still land at those cities. The area where New Orleans used to be is now part of the ocean.

Biloxi will rebuild even though it was the hardest hit. New Orleans, however, is done.

BonJoviJones
08-31-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see it bouncing back. I'm wondering where America is getting the money for all this. Where are they going to find 30 billion ? Will we be paying 50 % taxes in the next 10 years ? If so, they will come down hard on online poker for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 billion dollars over 10 years = $10 bucks a person/year

Do you only make $20 a year?

pokerjo22
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If so, they will come down hard on online poker for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even for OOT this is a pretty convoluted argument. Plus its poker content. Bad form all round.

kipin
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If so, they will come down hard on online poker for money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even for OOT this is a pretty convoluted argument. Plus its poker content. Bad form all round.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to your corner.

britspin
08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When the levee breaks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Over/Under on how long before New Orleans classic rock feels able to play that song?

Damn, I feel heartless for even thinking that. had an incredible time in the french Quarter when I was there. I got invited to a place called Club Slut by a gay waiter. didn't go. I hope they rebuild it, new orleans that is, not just Club Slut.

M2d
08-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Sie's back!!

M2d
08-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Horrible, but...
http://pierre.aubry.free.fr/affiches/grandes/waterworld.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 07:13 PM
yes, that movie was horrible.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, that movie was horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't believe that little girl couldn't swim, SHE LIVES IN FREAKIN WATER WORLD.

BAH why did this get brought up again! Sponger's getting upset!

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
she was born on land though, right?

siccjay
08-31-2005, 07:18 PM
What are they gonna do? Pump all the water out? I don't think it's going anywhere otherwise.

Aukai
08-31-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are they gonna do? Pump all the water out? I don't think it's going anywhere otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And I'll be right back there when they do.

siccjay
08-31-2005, 07:21 PM
Awesome. I was thinking of moving into the Barringer meteor crater.

NobodysFreak
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
I got back from visiting my father last friday. I feel fortunate that I got to see the city and take a lot of photos before all of this happened. I also got to see what 1800 bucks gets me at Barely Legal, but that's a story for a different day. What happened there is terrible and I hope that NO will be able to recover. I know the outlook is grim at this time, but there are huge industries in the area (namely DOW and several oil companies) and I don't think they're gonna abandon ship just yet. I'm still hanging onto the hope that NO will be alive in kicking in no time.

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Although there are many people in NO that didn't have the means to have insurance, the bulk of the $30 billion estimate will be carried by insurance companies. Indirectly it will affect all of us in many ways and some insurance companies will go under on this loss. This happens with many natural and man made disasters.

My wife is in insurance. The way she put it is that the final carriers (Many carriers re-insure with bigger carriers and they are sometimes called final carriers) isolate flood, Hurricane, and business lost revenue insurance from their normal homeowners, auto, and life. But the insurance industry is certainly going to be shaken over all by this disaster.

The Federal government is already spending a ton of money as well. Naval ships, Army engineers, and other kinds of relief. But the bulk of the re-building cost shouldered by our government will be in low interest, federally guaranteed loans through Fema. At least that is my understanding.

JTrout
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still hanging onto the hope that NO will be alive in kicking in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be assured that New Orleans will be back- alive and kicking.
But it will take significant time.

billyjex
08-31-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And I'll be right back there when they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

* WARNING: NITS WILL BE OFFENDED *

That's fine, just next time, don't use my tax dollars to rebuild your city.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
* WARNING: EVERYONE WITH A BRAIN WILL BE OFFENDED *

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Cancer Merchant
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're flushing 5 billion per month down Iraq. 30 billion to rebuild a part of the US is chump change.

Of course, our debt is out of control, but as long as we print money and China doesn't forclose, it's not a problem.

garyjacosta
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WARNING: NITS WILL BE OFFENDED

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem..... Just make sure you don't use any of the food/clothes/steel/paper/oil/gas that comes through my port.

Oh, and if I catch you sippin a hurricane.....

Your Mom
08-31-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem..... Just make sure you don't use any of the food/clothes/steel/paper/oil/gas that comes through my port.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comeback doesn't work at all.

garyjacosta
09-01-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does.
The arguement was that tax dollars shouldn't be used to finance the rebuilding of a city that is in a dangerous area.

But everyone wants the goods that are brought in through a port city. You need workers to live near the port. Thus, there is a trade-off between the risk of catastrophe and the benefit of commerce.

09-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Let it sink in to the gulf, and turn Baton Rouge into the major port of the lower Mississippi.

MyTurn2Raise
09-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Baton rouge is over 300 miles up river...it snakes alot

newfant
09-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I think they should let NO go. Personally, I believe huge hurricanes like this are going to become more common with the warming of the earth. If they rebuild it, it will likely get struck by another big hurricane in a few years.

I had assumed that global warming would take our coasts inch-by-inch, but that doesn't appear to be what is going to happen. Instead, we are going to see super-massive hurricanes that just obliterate coastal areas and move our coasts back a few miles or more in large sections with each super-hurricane.

MyTurn2Raise
09-01-2005, 02:19 AM
Let's get rid of Miami then too...and Tampa...and Houston

New York will probably get hit by a tsunami someday (there is credible evidence for this)

LA, Bay Area...quakes

everyone should move to chicago...and look out for those tornadoes

MyTurn2Raise
09-01-2005, 02:19 AM
sarcasm above

CardSharpCook
09-01-2005, 02:28 AM
1. Pump the water out.
2. Massive clean up.
3. Reestablish basic service - electricity, sewage, etc
4. Establish food delivery sytems for rebuild workers - (possibly hire former citizens to help in rebuilding effort)
5. Re-open port with temporary housing for workers.
6. Start the rebuilding process.
7. Foundation services up and running -(groceries, gas)
8. Walmart/target type stores reopen.
9. Small businesses reopen (remember, people need to refurnish houses - small business can open somewhat quickly)
10. Office building reinhabited.
11. Restaurants up and running
12. Tourism industry starts to run.

I think there will be an incredible rebuilding effort. That city will be rebuilt in unimaginable time. The Port workers and rebuilders will start the repopulation of the city. Pop will slowly come back. I think there is something to be said for "cleaning out the city". I certainly hope that the crime problem is actually helped by this disaster. Also, what about the WestBank? From my limited knowledge, I think the westbank is OK - is this correct? If so, that's housing for 150,000 that can be reinhabited as soon as highways are rebuilt and basic services provided.

My thoughts and prayers are with that wonderful city which was once my home.

Clarkmeister
09-01-2005, 02:44 AM
I think there's a good case to be made that some of the highest risk sections of N.O. should not be rebuilt. It's not like it's an all or nothing proposition.

newfant
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is something to be said for "cleaning out the city". I certainly hope that the crime problem is actually helped by this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard they released 5000 criminals today from the jails into NO. Combine that with the maurading gangs with AK-47s and you've got quite a "clean" city.

tonypaladino
09-01-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think there is something to be said for "cleaning out the city". I certainly hope that the crime problem is actually helped by this disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard they released 5000 criminals today from the jails into NO. Combine that with the maurading gangs with AK-47s and you've got quite a "clean" city.

[/ QUOTE ]

The prisoners were bussed to other prisons

newfant
09-01-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think there's a good case to be made that some of the highest risk sections of N.O. should not be rebuilt. It's not like it's an all or nothing proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Rebuild the streets and buildings where boobies regularly get flashed for sure.

09-01-2005, 03:42 AM
After NO is rebuilt is only a matter of time before this happens again it is below sea level and surrounded by water

09-01-2005, 04:08 AM
I guarantee you that in about 2 weeks no one will even want to hear the words New Orleans because I'm already pissed off about this whole situation and I think others will be too. Help me !!! I built a house that is 30 ft below sea level right next to the ocean and now I need financial aid.

MrTrik
09-01-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The prisoners were bussed to other prisons

[/ QUOTE ]

Not completely true. Some prisoners were taken to a highway ramp of some sort and guards with guns are providing security and containment.

KaneKungFu123
09-01-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

30 billion dollars over 10 years = $10 bucks a person/year

Do you only make $20 a year?

[/ QUOTE ]

if 30 mil is needed, the gov will take 40 mil, and pocket the 10 mil.

NutzyClutz
09-01-2005, 09:37 AM
For areas that are 95% devestated, everything should be bullddozed, and owners given money, and relocation assistance. Throughout country, there could be new developments built for those who wish to move.

Then for the demolished areas, a urban plan could be done.

Your Mom
09-01-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it does.
The arguement was that tax dollars shouldn't be used to finance the rebuilding of a city that is in a dangerous area.

But everyone wants the goods that are brought in through a port city. You need workers to live near the port. Thus, there is a trade-off between the risk of catastrophe and the benefit of commerce.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you buy those goods that come throught the port, you have paid for that happening. When you get my money to rebuild your city, you haven't paid for it.