PDA

View Full Version : an old fashioned semi bluff. sort of.

mike l.
08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
live 20-40 i have JTo in the bb. utg+1 who is quite random openraises, button who is fishy aggressive cold calls, i call. my image is trash because ive been losing every single hand, but ive been showing down big pairs and not much else. ive not been caught bluffing.

the flop is 8h7c3d. checked around. button says something genuine to the dealer like, "i need cards a little bit higher than that man!"

the turn is a 5d. i check, utg+1 shrugs and bets, button calls, i checkraise. utg+1 folds, and button calls.

river is a 7. i bet.

akishore
08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
i like muchos, but i might bet the turn (though a checkraise does look damn good).

aseem

mike l.
08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
"i might bet the turn"

for one thing that leaves bets on the table because utg+1 is too likely to bet A high there after everyone whiffs the flop and i check again. another thing is if i bet it makes it too easy for utg+1 to just call down with A high.

JAA
08-31-2005, 05:56 PM
This one of the fairly rare situations where crazing a bettor and a caller on the turn is especially appetizing. The preflop raiser has literally announced that he has overcards, and with his SB (shrug bet) on the turn you can almost hear him say "well I guess my AK is good if noone is betting, I gotta bet."

Now, the aggressive button knows just as well as you do that the pf raiser probably has overcards, and he just calls. This screams some kind of draw, i.e. diamonds or a bare 6 of some sort. This is a great time to raise, probably get heads up with the button, and when he blanks out you scoop the pot.

I'm typically wary of crazing a bettor and a caller on a semi-bluff, but this is a great great spot for it, IMO.

Hope you won - Jags

esspo
08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"i might bet the turn"

for one thing that leaves bets on the table because utg+1 is too likely to bet A high there after everyone whiffs the flop and i check again. another thing is if i bet it makes it too easy for utg+1 to just call down with A high.

[/ QUOTE ]

And checkraising after the button calls makes the move appear that much stronger. It would take an expert read from UTG+1 to figure out what's happening.

lil feller
08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Looks great. Let me guess how it ends...

Button pauses, looks at his cards, looks at you. Does it all again and then says...

"he's running bad...I call"

KJ takes the money...

nice hand

lf

DpR
08-31-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
live 20-40 i have JTo in the bb. utg+1 who is quite random openraises, button who is fishy aggressive cold calls, i call. my image is trash because ive been losing every single hand, but ive been showing down big pairs and not much else. ive not been caught bluffing.

the flop is 8h7c3d. checked around. button says something genuine to the dealer like, "i need cards a little bit higher than that man!"

the turn is a 5d. i check, utg+1 shrugs and bets, button calls, i checkraise. utg+1 folds, and button calls.

river is a 7. i bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this one a lot. While, given the descriptions, the play may stand up on its own, the fact that you have 10 cards to improve make it really good (added to the fact that you can scoop w/o improving).

In many of your other posts you make moves like this with totally dry hands, which I frequently do not like. I think there are plenty of semi bluffing opportunities out there to limit the use of them to times when we have compounding probabilities to win the hand. Nice old fashioned SB.

surfdoc
09-01-2005, 12:21 AM
This hand was very fun to watch from a physical tells standpoint. The button was very clearly a non actor and would never have checked through any piece of this flop or any pair. The early player was straightforward and really did make it painfully obvious that he whiffed. I was sitting in the middle after having folded preflop and nearly spit up my drink at this turn ckeckraise by mike. It was very obvious to me that all 3 of them had air and I wanted to 3 bet without even having cards. It was the perfect time to make this play though because these guys were tards.

Clarkmeister
09-01-2005, 12:39 AM
A near-expert play. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

surfdoc
09-01-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A near-expert play. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NH.

SA125
09-01-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A near-expert play

[/ QUOTE ]

A good long lol for a decent sized needle.

mike l.
09-01-2005, 01:39 AM
your timing is as good as gabe's on that one. well done.

andyfox
09-01-2005, 02:10 AM
And I'm thinking of giving no-limit advice.

theBruiser500
09-14-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"i might bet the turn"

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe it's easier for UTG+1 to calldown the way you played it. the way you played it he's getting 10:1 on the river. if you just bet out the pot is much smaller so he'll have to pretty sure of himself to call down with ace high.

09-14-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

river is a 7. i bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mike, I like the reasons you made your turn play, although I see nothing wrong with just betting the turn also, but the question I have is why didnt you bet the flop. In a 3 handed raised pot, when I know I have a calling hand like the one you have, I will usually make a play for the pot by betting into the raiser right away. By playing the flop this way you can sometimes take down the pot on the turn even if you dont improve. What is your opinion of betting this flop into the raiser? Why did you decide to check. I am interested in hearing others opinions also. In this situation I would bet this flop.

mike l.
09-14-2005, 02:37 PM
i was looking to checkraise the flop.

09-14-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was looking to checkraise the flop. [/quote.

I dont like that play in this spot. I would like the checkraise on the flop if the Pfr was on your right, so your checkraise could eliminate the other player. But since the preflop raiser is on your left you will be checkraising this flop with 2 people already committed and this will just make the pot bigger and induce them to take their weak draws to the river. This is exactly what you dont want since youre goal is to attempt to win this pot as soon as possible. This statement is obviously based on my assumptions of the opponents you are up against. If you are against people who really fear your checkraise in that spot than your plan would be correct since this flop checkraise for value would induce them to fold their live draws on the turn out of fear of your holding. In this situation where a checkraise will not eliminate anyone I prefer to bet into the raiser when i have no reads otherwise, but I can see when there are times that a checkraise for value will increase your pobability of winning this pot more than betting out. In my experience though, it seems to me that a checkraise for value often makes opponents want to see that river card even more since the pot is now bigger.