PDA

View Full Version : Help JBB Food Shop

BottlesOf
08-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Hi. This thread is inspired by TSC's cheap food that pwns thread, which I plan on pouring over in detail. If you find there is too much overlap here, I apologize, and I'll just focus on that thread.

So I've moved into a new apt. and have no food in there whatsoever. I want to go food shopping soon and want some recommendations on things to buy--things that can be used to make dinners for myself. I live in an area with great access to food markets so, in addition to standard supermarket stuff, I can get health food stuff and specialty items as well as fresh stuff.

I'm obviously going to buy soda, cereal, eggs, mac and cheese and stuff. But if anyone has reccomendations for items that are good to have around that can be used to make quick meals, I'd love to hear. One important issue is that the kitchen is small so things that are elaborate and tought to make won't fly. I have no access to a grill, although I may buy a small indoor one if nec.

(The more I think about it, the more I think I just need to print out the Tsc thread...but oh well, toss me something if you've got it)

tbach24
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
I like to keep stuff like fruit, yogurt and frozen yogurt around just in case I need something sweet. Also don't forget condiments. Those are essential. And get stuff like peanut butter and jelly, tuna, etc. for sandwiches.

Edit- campbell's soup is cool

Edit2- popcorn is cool...i snack a lot

RunDownHouse
08-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Tortillas and refried beans. Pretty much no matter what kind of meat you've got around, you can slap it in a tortilla with the beans and some rice and you've got a cheap, quick, decent meal. The beans are canned and so are space efficient and won't go bad, and the tortillas take up much less room than the bread equivalents, whether you decide to keep them in the fridge or on the counter.

BottlesOf
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm reading the TSC thread and people are too cavalier with their cooking directions. There's a lot of "toss in the oven" or "browned meat."

What temperature, how long, what kind of container...I can't cook but a few things people!?!?!??!

If anyone wants to clarify a recipe, that'd be swell.

BottlesOf
08-31-2005, 05:39 PM
TSC's recipe seemed to involve a lot of water, is this how it's done?

swede123
08-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Get yourself a recipe book. There are ones out there specifically directed at people like yourself (and me) that purposefully contain few ingredients, simple directions, and short cooking times. Look for "The Five Ingredient Recipe Book" for example. We have it and it makes it easy to try new things w/o too much work involved.

Swede

chesspain
08-31-2005, 05:41 PM
One would think that someone smart enough to make lots of money from reading books like TOP, HEFAP, and SSHE would be able to learn how to shop and prepare meals from buying and reading a few basic cookbooks. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BottlesOf
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Yes I have a few, and can actually make a few quite good meals. However, these meals are not cheap, easy in a small kitchen, or designed for one person.

Point taken though /images/graemlins/smile.gif

RunDownHouse
08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TSC's recipe seemed to involve a lot of water, is this how it's done?

[/ QUOTE ]
EDIT: I'm bad at reading titles

A general rule for rice is to get 2 parts water for every 1 part rice. Get the water boiling with some salt in it, put the rice in, and cover it up. Come back 15 minutes later to check on it. The rice needs to absord all the water,so you don't want to open the lid too often, letting steam get out.

If you're going to eat rice all the time - since its versatile, cheap, and somewhat filling - you could just buy a rice cooker.

swede123
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Check this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0696215470/qid=1125524739/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-4039746-0275335?v=glance&s=books&n=507846) book out, it's pretty cool

Swede

WDC
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Flash fRozen chicken breasts are a must. Through them in the oven (about 350) or right onto a skillet. Use for snadwhiches or as I just suggested in TSC's thread BBq chicken Pizza on Boboli crust.

colgin
08-31-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no access to a grill, although I may buy a small indoor one if nec.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy a good non-stick (Calphalon, et al.) grill pan for your stove top (about $30 - 40). Not a true substitute for outdoor grilling of course, but these things are great way to grill quickly veggie burgers, vegi-kebobs or (for the majority of people /images/graemlins/frown.gif) burgers, fish, chicken breast, etc.

BottlesOf
08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Awesome thx, I will order it when i get home.

hobbsmann
08-31-2005, 05:52 PM
frozen turkey burgers are so key.