PDA

View Full Version : staring hands ranking

08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
some were some place i"ve heard of the top 20 starting hands. i presume that aa being number 1, then kk #2,
qq #3
ak or jj #4
anys ways what is thought of as the top 20 or 25 starting hands
or is say after qq or(what ever) different people think different about what hand rankigs are? and i suppose the winning % of the starting hand has a place? were is this info at on the web
thank you

08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
One way to look at this question is to look at the pot equity preflop of the various hands heads-up, here (http://gocee.com/poker/he_ev_hand.html).

John

spaminator101
08-31-2005, 06:49 PM
if you go on win rate the first ten would be

AA KK QQ JJ 10-10 99 88 77 66 and then i would think 55 but it could be AK or J10

08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
ok looked up the chart on web. do i understand this right, 66 win 55% ak win 44%, so does that mean that 66 will win 9% more often than ak? i play once aweek around 30 to 40 average, and people here love Ax Kx Qx, and just thinking how much A K Q J or 10 comes out on thr flop, well is those figures just in a mathematical sense and not what happens in the real world? to tell the truth i got the top 20 hand phrase from a dvd by phil h???????, yes i paid for it. but i have out grown it (pretty fast too) now.

Luzion
09-01-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
some were some place i"ve heard of the top 20 starting hands. i presume that aa being number 1, then kk #2,
qq #3
ak or jj #4
anys ways what is thought of as the top 20 or 25 starting hands
or is say after qq or(what ever) different people think different about what hand rankigs are? and i suppose the winning % of the starting hand has a place? were is this info at on the web
thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find this info in a bunch of books, including books that 2+2 publishes. Also the rankings depend on what games you are playing. NL, limit full, or shorthanded limit? Are you asking what hands are good in a loose game, or tight game? Are you asking what hands have the highest equity in a large field, or in a small field?

etc etc

09-01-2005, 02:28 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but if you look at something like twodimes.net, the 55-45 breakdown is when 66 goes heads-up against AK. In that case, the pocket pair is a slight favorite over the overcards, although this is the classic "coin flip" situation that you may have heard about. However, in a multihand pot, 66 has much less equity (ie it is much less likely to win a showdown at the river).

John