PDA

View Full Version : So anyone ever take a quarter off from college?

Jorge10
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
I am having a hard time getting the classes I want because its the fall quarter and my school sucks when it comes to registration. Anyway I was thinking of taking it easy this quarter and only get 1 or 2 classes since I am a math major and I just need about 12 math classes to finish. I was also thinking of taking a quarter off or something, many things on my mind. Just wondering anyone ever take a quarter off? I heard its really hard to comeback so I probably wont do it and instead will just take 2 math classes or something just to keep moving forward, but im still curious. So anyone ever take a quarter off? Was it hard to comeback? Just wondering...

onegymrat
08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi Jorge,

I did take one quarter off during my extended senior year at UCLA. The reason, however, was different than yours. I was during so poorly in two of three classes that it was better to just bail until the fall. I told my parents that I was stressed out and needed some time off, which was not entirely false. It had nothing to do with poker, for what it's worth.

So basically, I had a five-month hiatus. Going back to finish was not a problem at all, for it was much more of a given. I knew what the big picture was and that not finishing was unacceptable in my mind. I seriously don't think you would not come back after a break. You've come all this way, why would you think you would stop short of a diploma? If you have a legitimate reason why you need to take one quarter off, then do it and enjoy the rest. Only ONE quarter, though, okay?

ceskylev
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
If you like school and want to finish, I don't think it will be difficult to take a quarter off and go back.

I think that the people who find it difficuly are the ones who don't really want to be there in the first place, have no real investment (personal or career-wise) in their course of study, and who can't think of a good reason why they should stay in school.

If you enjoy your studies and/or a degree is a necessary step to a career that you're excited about, I think you'll do just fine.

Good luck.

tdarko
08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
i have taken 3 years off and have now gone back, i was kind of forced to stop b/c of better things in my life but still there is nothing wrong with taking some time off.

FWIW it sucks when you go back too. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

AZnuts
08-31-2005, 07:08 PM
It's very hard to say without knowing your specific personality, but consider this . . . no one's going to just give you a quarter off from a real job for the rest of your life, so you may not want to get used to the idea.

Then again, if you're otherwise very disciplined you may fair ok - just be brutally honest with yourself when you decide.

From friends I've seen in the past - finish what you're in the middle of right now, or you may find some reason not to.

Jorge10
08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
The reason im thinking about it is because I needed a math class pretty badly and I could get it, but only with a very difficult professor so I dont know, and its an upper division math class so I might fail and if I pass I might not learn much, I am going to try to add the class with a good professor, but if I dont get it, im kind of screwed. Also im told its a very important class so its making it difficult. I would probably not take this quarter off though, itd probably take some other math classes, im going to be taking it kind of easy from now on because the councelor told me 3 math classes at once in one quarter isnt a good idea. All I need is math classes to finish I did all my GE stuff already, so I am going to be taking 2 classes from now on every quarter till I finish, which is in about 2 years at this rate. Also another question, anyone here ever take 3 math classes in 1 quarter? My councelor told me it wasnt a good idea, just wondering how hard it is, thanks.

AZnuts
08-31-2005, 08:10 PM
In my experience, counselors are only good for exactly average students. If you're better than average, you can make a better decision than a councelor.

When I was a freshman (engineering degree), a counselor advised me to NOT skip a freshman calculus class even though I placed out of it on an entrance exam. What a waste of my time that class was. I guess the university made more money off of me taking an extra class that I didn't need.

I was much more focused when I had a full schedule of classes. I think I may have slacked off if I had a lighter schedule.

Again, it's very hard to say without knowing you. I think you may know what the right answer is for you, but are looking for someone else to tell you. Go with your own feeling; if it's wrong you won't be angry at someone else.

mike4bmp
09-01-2005, 05:09 AM
man I took a quarter off and it ended up becoming a year and then when I returned I changed my major...but I'm somewhat of an indecisive person.
Other people have told me that they took breaks only find it difficult to go back...esp if you start working.

stankybank
09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
here's the thing. most people I know who took a quarter off, ended up taking MORE than a quarter off. If you're disciplined enough to stick to a plan and say it's only going to be a quarter, then do it. However, if you think you might end up taking more time off then realize that you might do so and plan accordingly. I don't think taking even a year off is so bad if you find that it might help you in the future or work harder at school to get better grades.

anyhow, gl.

vexvelour
09-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Many can say with ease that taking time off of school is simple. This is not the case. In theory, yes, you take time off, and you go back. But as we all know, $hit happens whenever it feels like happening. Be aware of this.

I took some time off to gather my thoughts and figure out what I was looking for in school. I still haven't found it, but I've gone back since. Just be aware that sometimes "1 semester" turns into 2 years off of school. It's all about self-discipline.

captZEEbo1
09-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Here's my story on the situation. Poker has REALLY gotten in the way of school this past year (I still passed most of my classes but I really didn't like it). So THIS year, I'm switching to just PART-time. I will be playing full-time poker, but am only taking one class. This way I'll always be working towards my degree, and if I ever decide to go back full-time to quickly finish off my degree, it won't be THAT hard to do. Part time school seems like more of a hobby since you don't even have to think about it more than like 2 days a week; you will end up doing better in that one class than you would have if you go full-time, because it can seem fun and you won't have any other classes to worry about.

Jorge10
09-02-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So THIS year, I'm switching to just PART-time. I will be playing full-time poker, but am only taking one class.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it, ill do 2 classes.

vexvelour
09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but am only taking one class. This way I'll always be working towards my degree,

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it too.