PDA

View Full Version : Is gas really all that different?

Duffman
08-31-2005, 03:52 PM
So how big is the difference between regular unleaded and premium gas?

What is the benefit of premium gas? Does your car last longer? Or peform better with premium?

Is it worth the extra 30c a gallon?

Uglyowl
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Most cars it doesn't make a bit of difference, read the car manual. Mine does fine on 87.

Most people waste their money on premium when it is not needed and does nothing

HopeydaFish
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I remember reading somewhere that the short answer to your question is "No".

swede123
some answers here (http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline3.htm)

Basically, if your car requires a certain octane it's probably wise to use that higher grade, but if it doesn't have any requirements there won't be any benefits to using it over the regular unleaded.

Swede

peachy
yes depending on your car it matters alot so ive been told cause im sure im gonna get jumped all over but u should use what ur car needs

IE if u need premium use it

like mine says use 91 minimal...so im stuck using 93

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
I've explained it all before here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2252279&Fo rum=All_Forums&Words=octane&Searchpage=0&Limit=25& Main=2251674&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=10072& daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&older type=&bodyprev=#Post2252279).

mmbt0ne
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
yes depending on your car it matters alot so ive been told cause im sure im gonna get jumped all over but u should use what ur car needs

IE if u need premium use it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. My car performs better with premium, just like it says in the manual, but it can run on any grade. I usually use midgrade, but I'm not against using regular when prices get up like this. Hell, if this engine can run a Jetta on regular gas, it can run an A4 just as well.

However, as a little aside, gas between companies tends not to differ as much as they'd like you to believe. In fact, one of my history teachers told us that gas companies often fill their tankers (the ones that drive) from another company's supply if they don't have any gas ready at the fueling station. Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc. do not make your car run any better.

Shillx
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Yes there is a difference. Higher octane burns faster which helps prevent detonations. It is needed as you increase the compression of the engine. For example, all engines that use superchargers need 91 octane. If you ever notice that your engine pings when going up a hill, you should look into getting a higher octane gas. The life of your engine could potentially go up and that might or might not offset the higher fuel cost.

It is a total waste of $$$ if you don't need it though. It doesn't increase the preformance of your car in any way (i.e. give you more horsepower).

Brad

GuyOnTilt
08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've explained it all before here (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=exchange&amp;Number=2252279&amp;Fo rum=All_Forums&amp;Words=octane&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp; Main=2251674&amp;Search=true&amp;where=bodysub&amp;Name=10072&amp; daterange=1&amp;newerval=1&amp;newertype=y&amp;olderval=&amp;older type=&amp;bodyprev=#Post2252279).

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. Jake only had 9 posts once?!

GoT

spamuell
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
That's so weird, scroll down to the bottom of that page you linked Patrick (excellent info btw) and look at gvibes' post count.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, right after he made post #8

swede123
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's so weird, scroll down to the bottom of that page you linked Patrick (excellent info btw) and look at gvibes' post count.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cue the X-Files music....

Swede

CORed
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
The more expensive grades of gasoline have a higher octane rating, which means that the gasoline has more resistance to detonation and preignition (knocking). Knocking is hard on the engine. If your car knocks on regular, you should use a higher grade. If not, there is no benefit from using the more expensive gasoline.

steelcmg
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man some of u guys have to much free time at work how do u post 6K posts in 4 months.

Ringo_Mojo
08-31-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, as a little aside, gas between companies tends not to differ as much as they'd like you to believe. In fact, one of my history teachers told us that gas companies often fill their tankers (the ones that drive) from another company's supply if they don't have any gas ready at the fueling station. Chevron, Exxon, Shell, etc. do not make your car run any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its a bit more severe then that. Gasoline is pumped to regions via massive pipe networks across the country. All the companies not only use the same pipes, but interchange the actual gas. If Exxon pumps 1000 gallons into the system in one place, and Shell pumps 1000 Gallons into the system in another place, they can both take out 1000 gallons anywhere in the system. The ONLY difference between two companies gasoline is what additives they put in it before its trucked to the individual stations.

So the best advice i can give is, use the cheapest gas you can find in the lowest octane rating reccomended in your cars manual.

08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
nh

spamuell
08-31-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely right after he made post #8 he had eight posts?

jakethebake
08-31-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely right after he made post #8 he had eight posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was posting pretty fast.