PDA

View Full Version : too funky with A9s?

tiltaholic
08-31-2005, 02:46 PM
hi-

so i'm testing the waters a little at 5/10 sometimes. did i just get too fancy for my own good here or is this play remotely justifiable?

hero has been playing a little weak & scared. i've been getting great cards preflop (25/15) but have been folding a lot to big street aggression after betting many flops (missing flops, being a pansy, etc) and also showing down 2nd best hands. so i'm stuck a lot of dollars for me.

villian is slightly loose and passive preflop (something like 25/5) and aggressive postflop on the big streets.

5/10 full 9 handed.
Hero has A /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB.
Villian open limps in MP1, folded to hero who raises. He calls.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif.

Hero bets, villain calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero thinks and checks (?), villian bets. Hero calls.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks intending to check raise?

kenberman
08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I think you're wearing fancy pants.

c/r the turn, and lead out the river.

or lead out the turn and hope to get raies by this aggresive player.

hicherbie
08-31-2005, 02:59 PM
bet...all...streets.
pray he has a 9 or a A or a K.

hobbsmann
08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
c/r the turn or just continue to bet either way I think it's close. Weak-tighties really like to check rivers behind and getting this river checked through really sucks.

sy_or_bust
08-31-2005, 03:04 PM
You will often induce a bluff by simply betting the turn.

droolie
08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't really like your line because I think you leave too many bets on the table. Your line will earn you 3BB's at best because the river C/R will rarely be reraised by a hand you beat and it will often induce a fold from a weak holding.

I really dislike like trying the river C/R because if he bluffed the turn he won't bluff the river often enough. If his bets aren't a bluff and he really has an A or K he might have raised your turn bet allowing you to get 3 or more BB's from him.

I bet the turn and hope he has an A (or better yet the case 9) or takes a shot with a bluff and raises you. He'll semi-bluff with a flush draw or even bluff with nothing quite often here. That way you can reraise (what I would do against an unknown) or check raise the river and possibly make many BB's if he has a strong 2nd best hand. Players tend to go a little overboard when they are HU with a good hand like top pair.

I know you were trying to prevent him from folding and making nothing and he will fold quite often to a turn bet if he was peeling and when that happens you probably lose on average 1.5BB's from your tricky line but I think the times when he raises or calls you down will make up for that. Trying to get tricky to get blood from a stone often gets you nothing anyways.

bryan4967
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
hero checks, villian bets, hero calls, and then Teddy KGB turns over the bullets.

MyTurn2Raise
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
fancy play syndrome...fancy play syndrome....fancy play syndrome

Do you think your opponent is going to put you on a 9 when you raise from the bb? You have someone in line to pay off; keep betting.

BBD
08-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Raise on 4th street. Bet out on the river. Very strong holdings, as your only behind KK, so get extra big bets in when you can. I like your PF raise w/ A9s and only one limper to you. nh.

tiltaholic
08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
ok. butchered that one.
thanks all.

TripleH68
08-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Too funky yes.

If villain has a hand you will get paid off.
If he does not have a hand I would rather bet the turn and hope for a bluff raise.

I appreciate the honesty in your post about playing scared or at least being self-conscious while playing higher than usual.
I have the same feelings online. Not quite as bad playing live.

W. Deranged
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You will often induce a bluff by simply betting the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many small stake players love to raise turns in heads-up pots on bluffs.

Bet flop. Bet-three-bet turn. Bet river.

soweak.
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
without reading any replies I like your preflop and flop lines. On the turn you are missing a bet when you dont checkraise him. You've set him up to bluff at this board, or to make a good second best hand. It is clear here that if he has a hand like AQ or AJ he is expecting a split at worst. Unless he has nothing he is more than likely gonna pay you off.

Check-Call on the turn is too fancy. Slowplaying is when you let your opponent make a good second best hand or let him bluff at a board where your strength is hidden. Check/Raise the turn, lead river.