PDA

View Full Version : Biggest mistakes that Intermediate players make

Reef
08-31-2005, 02:03 PM
"Intermediate" being about 1-2BB/100 winner in limit or 3-6BB/100 winner in NL.

What are some of the most important errors that keep them from becoming an advanced player?

KidPokerX
08-31-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In order to get a better discussion I suggest clarifying this last statement.

Maybe you mean 1-2BB/100 winner in 3/6 and under (or whatever), but 1-2BB/100 in the 100/200 is by no means an intermediate player.
You get my point. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Reef
08-31-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In order to get a better discussion I suggest clarifying this last statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intermediate:

LIMIT
2-3 BB/100 at .50/1 to 1/2
1-2 BB/100 at 2/4 to 5/10
.5-1.5 BB/100 at 10/20 to 30/60

NL
3-8 BB/100 at NL50-100
2-6 BB/100 at NL200
2-3 BB/100 at NL400-600

08-31-2005, 04:40 PM
The worst mistake players (beg. - intrm.) make is the over-calling.

I have made several "deposits" to donkeys with bad overcalls. It usually happens when you know you have the original bettor/raiser crushed (overpair, small flush, ect.,)... but you fail to notice the caller in between the two of you. What can he possibly have?

This isn't to say you should never call/raise when there is more than one player moving at the pot... but proeceed with caution.

08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are some of the most important errors that keep them from becoming an advanced player?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, a parallel question should also be where are those errors typically made?

From personal experience (considering myself to be a slightly above average amateur player), I think most of those errors are made in early position. It is one facet of my game where I've worked on improving my play and results seem to indicate the same.

So based on that, what kinds of errors are typical?
- Over playing hands that are relatively weak for the position. ATo, AJo, 55, 66, etc. are hands that come to mind.
- Not semi-bluffing enough with hands like big overcards, second pair with big overcards, etc.
- Failing to quickly and cheaply get rid of likely second place hands.

IMHO, I think a lot of mistakes are made in the blinds, and not adjusting playing for varying blinds/antes. For example, three different 10-handed games:
- 10/20 with 2/5 blinds
- 10/20 with 5/10 blinds
- 10/20 with 2/5 blinds and 1 ante

If the player isn't playing the blinds differently in all three circumstances, then the player is likely making a lot of mistakes. Another of the bigger improvements I feel I've made is in blind play, especially in short-handed situations.

Any thoughts on these comments??

ianlippert
08-31-2005, 07:56 PM
I've been noticing a few things lately by the more rational 1/2 players. Although they arent crazy loose like many at this limit, they still have big leaks that mostly have to do with playing big cards that miss the flop. You will get people either calling their overcards without proper odds not to mention not counting the full 6 outs as they may be drawing dead. Also players that play their overcards too aggressivly and waste a lot of chips.

Another big one is calling the turn and river just because they are afraid of being bluffed out. When you get called on flop and check raised on the turn what are the odds you are ahead? Slim to none, but ppl call the turn and the river 'just to make sure'. 2BB is more than the profit you will show for an hour. People really need to stop worrying about getting a pot stolen. To defend against pot stealing you shouldnt be calling down every hand, you should be in there stealing your own pots to make up for what you've lost.