PDA

View Full Version : Off topic -- donations to those in need in LA, MS, and AL

08-31-2005, 01:39 PM
If you're going to give some money to relief efforts down South, I suggest AmeriCares (www.americares.org). 99% of donated money goes directly to program expenses vs. 91% for the American Red Cross, who spends the other 9% on administration and fundraising. It can't hurt to take a just little out of your winnings (say $25) especially if your company has a gift matching program. The donation is tax-deductible as well.

It's going to be a very long time before these people get back to normal but we can speed that up by sending money to NGO's assisting in the effort.

08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
oops, meant to say "may I suggest"

craig r
08-31-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
oops, meant to say "may I suggest"

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go to the Internet forum there is going to be a tourney at Paradise.

crag

08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Nice. I don't play but I'm glad to hear things like this are happening.

Easy E
08-31-2005, 04:49 PM
who spends the other 9% on administration and fundraising.

I know nothing about that other organization, but to begrudge about 9 cents on the dollar and override the general good that the Red Cross has done and will do seems pound-foolish

08-31-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who spends the other 9% on administration and fundraising.

I know nothing about that other organization, but to begrudge about 9 cents on the dollar and override the general good that the Red Cross has done and will do seems pound-foolish

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all what I was saying, no begruding whatsoever. I mentioned the Red Cross because most people's first instincts are to give to them because of their well-known name, and that is good. Both ARC and AmeriCare are doing tremendous work and both have the capacity to help in large scale relief efforts. My point was AmeriCare takes in even less in administrative and fundraising costs and is a more efficient org. for delivering help to the people down there, but less well-known. I gave to the Red Cross last December for tsunami relief, they do excellent work.

And I figured, well, who else but a group of sports bettors would understand the importance of stretching every penny? /images/graemlins/smile.gif