PDA

View Full Version : 30-60 hand, 58o, misplayed?

Acesover8s
04-16-2003, 01:22 AM
Been at table for 1 orbit, 30-60 is about twice my choke limit. At the time of this hand I thouht I was playing correctly, but thinking about it later I think I misplayed the flop and the turn. Any thoughts?

MP limps, LP limps. SB folds, I check in the BB with 58o. Flop comes 589 rainbow. I check. MP bets. LP folds. I raise. MP 3-bets. I call.

Turn is an offsuit 6. I bet, he folds.

Thoughts?

Ulysses
04-16-2003, 01:50 AM
I'd bet the flop and go from there.

If I didn't and checkraised like you did, and got 3-bet, I'd 4-bet it.

If I didn't do that and just called the 3-bet, I'd go for a checkraise on the turn.

elysium
04-16-2003, 01:53 AM
hi aces
going for the check-raise on the turn probably isn't a great idea because of the well coordinated board. the only other issue is the flop, and it was played very well by you, some more aggressive players may have capped here, but i like the way you played the whole hand.

andyfox
04-16-2003, 02:08 AM
The 3-bet might be looking for two free cards with just high cards, and just check the turn behind. For this reason, I like betting out on the turn.

Ulysses
04-16-2003, 02:16 AM
The 3-bet might be looking for two free cards with just high cards, and just check the turn behind.

Good point. That's why in a case like this, rather than worry about that on the turn, I prefer the first option I suggested of just 4-betting the flop and continuing on the turn.

PokerPrince
04-16-2003, 04:00 AM
With just the two opponents I'de forget the fancy stuff and just bet out on the flop and 3-bet if raised.

PokerPrince

Acesover8s
04-16-2003, 04:25 AM
Wow, I appreciate all the great advice. Nobody really touched on the area in that I thought I misplayed the hand. So here's what I was thinking:

On the flop I chickened out and should've gone 3-bets. I did suffer from FPS in that I didn't lead out. I knew it would get autobet by someone and then I could get the raise in, but obviously if I'm trying to get more money in, why did I not 3-bet?

But my real concern was my turn bet. After I thought about the hand I thought about what hands he could call me with, raise me with, and fold with. It seems to me that a lot of hands I have beat he is going to call me with. And if I check, he would bet. If he raises me here, I am most likely in serious trouble.

It seemed to me in afterthought the best play would be to check and call the rest of the way, allowing him to bet with the worst hand when he's got it, and I lose the least amount if I'm behind. Is my reasoning faulty?

Thanks,

astroglide
04-16-2003, 11:20 AM
i would have check-called for that very reason. getting raised on the turn there sucks.

Lee Jones
04-16-2003, 12:49 PM
1. Nacogdoches Gumbo. It's a cosmic thing how it shows up everywhere /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. Our opponent didn't raise preflop. So we kinda don't think he has AK sorts of hands.

3. My guess woulda been JT (open end straight draw and two over cards). Clearly, I woulda been way wrong.

4. Given all that, I think I would have played it just as our hero did (stop and go). This is, after all, limit poker, and we can decide how much money we want to spend on a showdown. You can't really give this hand up, but there are many hands that beat it, and JTs with one of his suit is only 2:1 behind us. So, in deference to the possibility that he's got 98, we'll call the three-bet. In deference to the possibility that he has JT, we'll bet the turn. A nice middle ground for a middling hand.

Regards, Lee

Ulysses
04-16-2003, 02:42 PM
1. Nacogdoches Gumbo. It's a cosmic thing how it shows up everywhere

Sunday night, a guy 3-bets 85o pre-flop to isolate a guy who has been annoying him. Flop is 467. Lots of action when the first guy hits his Ace on the turn to make a set. Gumbo is good. He then proceeds to play 85 every time he gets it. In 3 hours, he shows down 85 for the winner in multi-way pots 4 times. Cosmic indeed. Of course, every time the board is something like 467 or 885 he calls out that he has 85 again, yet nobody ever believes him....

2. Our opponent didn't raise preflop. So we kinda don't think he has AK sorts of hands.
Our opponent limped after only one limper. I guess it's possible he could have 67, but I don't think so. Sure, 98 is possible, but it's still a hand many won't play there and our hero already has one 8 and there are so many other possible hands that would 3-bet a checkraise on this board just to "see where they were at."

4. Given all that, I think I would have played it just as our hero did (stop and go).
So what do you do when you get raised on the turn now? I think betting and 3-betting the flop is best. If you're 4-bet, check-call time. Otherwise, bet again on the turn. Since he went the checkraise route on the flop, I'd 4-bet to let my opponent know I'm serious and then bet the turn. Another raise? Now I have something real to think about.

Of course, I'm overaggressive.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

tewall
04-16-2003, 03:09 PM
What do you care if high cards get a free card? Why would you want to try to prevent that?

tewall
04-16-2003, 03:17 PM
When he took the lead from you on the flop, I would think the same way. He's likely to bet into you if you check into him since you didn't 4 bet the flop. A free card here's not a big concern. The problem with the bet is it gets people out of the pot that you'd rather stay in and gives those who have you beat a chance to make more money.

mikelow
04-16-2003, 03:19 PM
I don't know what the misplay here is. So be happy that you won.