PDA

View Full Version : Problems with AK early on- Part 1 and Part 2

inyaface
08-31-2005, 11:20 AM
So my AK in level 1 and 2 is actually a chip loser which seems pretty horrific. How's the line (how bad is the line) on these two hands that I played very differently preflop and what in general do people like to do with AK preflop in levels 1 and 2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1240)
MP1 (t880)
MP2 (t970)
MP3 (t970)
CO (t960)
Hero (t975)
SB (t2005)
BB (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, SB checks.

Flop: (t90) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, SB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t240) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t375</font>, MP3 calls [t730] t150, Hero calls t505.

River: (t1270) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1270

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1115)
Button (t995)
SB (t940)
Hero (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG+2 (t565)
MP1 (t1495)
MP2 (t860)
MP3 (t1030)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t30</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, UTG calls t110, CO calls t95.

Flop: (t382.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t125</font>, CO folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t507.50

DeathbySuckout
08-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Hand 1:

With all of the limpers, I'd probably raise it to t75 or t90 and try to drop some of them. 95%* of the time we're playing AKo as TPTK, and this plays better to less people.
Raise the flop.

Hand 2:

I would call the raise and c-bet the flop, fold to a reraise.

* this number was mathematically pulled out of my ass.

bigt439
08-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Bah. I think you should have played the first one like the second one and vice-versa. In the first one, you should use your position and the fact that there is a bunch of dead money in the pot to bump it to like 115 or something. You might take 'er down or get it head up, which is a pretty good result with AK.

Post flop I think you played it fine since your hand is pretty well disguised, however, I think an argument can be made for just calling down here. He looks like he's going to keep firing, and if he doesn't on the river you can, but a raise seems like it would fold worse hands (obviously not always) and get you stacked off by better hands (of which there are lots for an mp limp - two pair and sets are very plausible). I actually think that's how I'd play it, call the turn, re-evaluate the river (I don't think I'd fold it, but I may raise or bet depending on his action, probably just call again though).

On the second hand I would just call because you're going to be playing the hand out of position and you don't look to have huge FE (for 95 more I think the CO will call alot - and hey we don't really need the money in the pot right now if it will put us in a bad spot when it's not folded). If you just call your hand is nicely disguised against a much thinner field than in hand 1. Since it's a smaller pot this is nice because you generally need a weaker hand to continue on in a pot where fewer people saw the flop all things being equal. That to me makes TPTK a more powerful hand, especiallly when concealed.

Edit: Oh and given your action pf in hand 2 I play the flop the same because I hate being first to act and having to c-bet into 2 people. Even though that flop looks alright to c-bet, it looks even better for almost any pp that you're not folding. No point in calling when it gets back to you.

08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
It would help to know what the buyin is, 100's and 10's are quite different animals.

Either way though, I would ALWAYS raise preflop if noone else has yet raised, ideally you want 1 or zero callers so I pop to about 125 the first hand. Experiment with raise size til you find the level which is most likely to get the optimum 1-0 callers. Of course the more limpers the bigger your raise should be. After the flop it's tough precisely because you have so many opponents so I will wimp out and say it's hard to say what to do and I won't criticize your play. If you had less opponents though you could be more confident about your hand.

The second hand I like your raise amount, you got two callers unfortunately and the flop missed you, check-fold looks fine considering 2 players called your substantial raise, someone probably has something.

AK early levels can be tough, GL.

Hornacek
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Like what others say...

Hand 1) Raise this mofo preflop. Get that dead money and random Ax junk out of there. Then, when you get a flop of A-low-low, you can be a little bit more certain that you're up against a holding like AQ and AJ, and take big pots. With an unraised pot, the possiblity of going broke against 2pr is too high.

2) At such a beginning level, I'd just call. AK is not a great reraising hand in early levels, imo, since people like to (strangely) disguise big pairs with double BB bets.

08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
People actually fold Ax in the tourneys you play? You must not be on PP?

inyaface
09-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the replies...I guess i forgot about position on these two hands. I had AK at two tables at once today and pretty much played the one in position with a raise and took it down with a continuation bet when it was checked to me and on the other just called a small raise OOP and check folded a missed flop. I still hate AK early on and i've got a few....probably more interesting hands to come.
If anyone cares the first hand I lost to A2...that what i get for being a biootch

Apathy
09-01-2005, 02:12 AM
Jeez man,

Hand 1: RAISE PF, please!!

Hand 2: Raise less I like 80 or 85. I would also lead the flop for 1/2 pot or so on that uncordinated board and go from there.

inyaface
09-01-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeez man,

Hand 1: RAISE PF, please!!

Hand 2: Raise less I like 80 or 85. I would also lead the flop for 1/2 pot or so on that uncordinated board and go
from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1: To do this I would have to be good.

Hand 2:To do this I would have to know how to bet without a hand.

Meh live and learn