PDA

View Full Version : Was Count Basie French?

Zeno
04-15-2003, 10:11 PM
I have a great CD called Pure Jazz, full of outstanding jazz tunes and artists. Just finished listening to Count Basie's fabulous tune - April in Paris (which was featured in a famous scene from Blazing Saddles). Do I need to burn my CD?

Also, the French are fanatics about American Jazz. Should we have a culture cutoff and make it illegal for American Jazz artists to play in France? Where is the line in the sand on this one - Anyone know?

-Zeno

HDPM
04-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Well, you notice nobody (except Ashcroft maybe)is seeking to ban certain "French" activities. So that would be going way too far. A Jerry Lewis ban might be OK. Somewhere in between (so to speak) a line could probably be drawn. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

andyfox
04-16-2003, 01:29 AM
You beat me to the Jerry Lewis joke. I understand his last telethon raised $50 million, or $3 million less than if everyone who never wanted to see him again had given a quarter.

Cyrus
04-16-2003, 02:44 AM
All those un-patriotic "writers" and "artists" (hah!!) who left their country'S fine shores to emigrate to cheese-smelling, garlic-eating, sin-infested France and Paris should all be tried and convicted of high treason. All their work has been polluted by the decadent, surrendering, cowardly spirit of France and Paris! All of it.

Your patriotic duty : THROW ALL THE WORKS OF PHONEY, ARTSY-FARTSY AMERICANS-IN-FRANCE "ARTISTES" IN THE BIN, AND REPLACE 'EM WITH WORKS BY TRUE, RED-BLOODED, PATRIOTIC, HOME-STAYIN' AMERICANS !! (Damn right I'm upset!)

I'll start the ball rolling:

<ul type="square">OUT with James Baldwin, IN with Alex Haley
OUT with Henry Miller, IN with Jackie Collins
OUT with Dos Passos, IN with Donald Rumsfeld
...[/list]

M2d
04-16-2003, 01:22 PM
I guess it's my patriotic duty to go up to hot chicks and offer my services in "freedom" kissing and free instructions in the use of "freedom" tickles.

John Cole
04-16-2003, 11:13 PM
OUT with Djuna Barnes; IN with Danielle Steele
OUT with Mina Loy; IN with Jewel
OUT with Ezra Pound; IN with Rod McKuen
OUT with Getrude Stein; well, just out with Gertrude Stein
OUT with Hemingway; IN with Tom Clancy

Zeno
04-17-2003, 01:08 AM
OUT with Jean-Paul Sartre; IN with Yogi Berra
OUT with Jean-Jacques Rousseau; IN with Ben Franklin

Phat Mack
04-17-2003, 03:12 AM
OUT with Art Buchwald, IN with George Will
OUT with Ben Franklin; IN with Rube Goldberg
OUT with Tom Jefferson; IN with Andy Jackson

Zeno
04-17-2003, 10:30 PM
OUT with Andy Jackson; IN with Napoleon Bonaparte

I wanted to complete the circuit - Viva la France!