PDA

View Full Version : When board pairs on the Flop

08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
You limp in on the utg with AJo. You have 3 callers and the flop comes out A77. How would you play this? I know the limp was dumb but the play is made. How do you proceed? Surely if you bet someone will attempt a steal (probably on the turn) representing trips. Interetsing to hear others preferred method of play.

Karak567
08-31-2005, 10:58 AM
We need blinds, your stack size, stack size of opponents at the table, buy-in, suits on the flop, suits of your hand, any reads.

no one can answer without that

08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
I guess i knew that was coming. Asking this in general but for this hand lets say blinds are 30 and all stacks abt 1K

flytrap
08-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Since you played aj, you hit a pretty good flop for it. I'd bet, and if I get called, I might bet the turn, but I'm not going to get broke on this hand, unless and ace hits and they have quad 7s.

08-31-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You limp in on the utg with AJo. You have 3 callers and the flop comes out A77. How would you play this? I know the limp was dumb but the play is made. How do you proceed? Surely if you bet someone will attempt a steal (probably on the turn) representing trips. Interetsing to hear others preferred method of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume there'll definitely be a steal attempt. Calling with intention to steal on the turn is a pretty fancy play, and I don't think you should expect it from your opponents very often.

citanul
08-31-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume there'll definitely be a steal attempt. Calling with intention to steal on the turn is a pretty fancy play, and I don't think you should expect it from your opponents very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your opponents posess the godlike ability to know exactly what cards you are holding and and play in the way that maximally intimidates you.

duh.

citanul

citanul
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asking this in general but

[/ QUOTE ]

For this board to be of much use to you at all you should begin to realize that there are very few questions that can be answered in the general form without pages and pages of text. Also, you should begin to realize the level to which someone who might otherwise be helpful to you would look at a question like his and instantly in their head have it translated to "Hi, I was wondering if you could quickly and concisely tell me how to play SNGs perfectly. If it goes over 500 words, consider me out."

citanul

08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your opponents posess the godlike ability to know exactly what cards you are holding and and play in the way that maximally intimidates you.

duh.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I always forget about the BYOPTGATKWCYAHAPITWTMIY argument.

citanul
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

duh.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I always forget about the BYOPTGATKWCYAHAPITWTMIY argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

you left the D off the end. the "duh" is actually the most important part of reaching the true zenlike state necessary to understand and accept the rest of the BYOPTGATKWCYAHAPITWTMIYd argument.

citanul

08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Typically I have seen that in a mutiway the first to bet is usually priced out on the turn. The assumption being if someone had trips they would not lead out (which is why I usually lead out if I have the 7). Being UTG I see the position raise in front of me then inevitably a check raise behind me. This is more typical at the early levels but less so as the field thins. Seems to be a common play but maybe I have a selective memory.

microbet
08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
400 posts in a couple of weeks, you're pretty clever, and you know how to spell 'definitely'.

08-31-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
400 posts in a couple of weeks, you're pretty clever, and you know how to spell 'definitely'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I'm still on break from school, and the majority of my friends around here are at their respective schools. I doubt I'll be posting much come next week.

08-31-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Typically I have seen that in a mutiway the first to bet is usually priced out on the turn. The assumption being if someone had trips they would not lead out (which is why I usually lead out if I have the 7). Being UTG I see the position raise in front of me then inevitably a check raise behind me. This is more typical at the early levels but less so as the field thins. Seems to be a common play but maybe I have a selective memory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of what you're seeing isn't bluffing. There seems to be pretty good agreement among the donk community that 1) checking the flop and putting in a small raise or check/raise on the turn is the only respectable way to play trips and 2) nobody ever flops trips.

I'm trying to learn how to capitalize on this. If there are no draws out, I like to play this loose/passively on the flop; no idea if that's right. Typically, someone who bets doesn't have the trips, and they're likely either making a weird bluff, kickered, or kickering you. If someone bets on the flop and he gets more than two callers, realize that there's a shortage of hands that would call that you have beat. If nobody bets, you're in a tough spot on the turn because a lot of players will open the turn with trips, and a lot will bet here with nothing or a turned pair. If there's a draw on the flop, I often surrender here, or make a small bet and fold to action.

No idea if these are reasonable guidelines. Any comments?