PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 books

08-31-2005, 09:18 AM
The title says it all. What top 3 books would you, the poker enthusiast, suggest to me, the beginner.

My conditions are this. I have been playing poker online for the past few months, mostly play money at Ultimate Bet and Poker Stars. I faired rather well at both places, earning decent bankrolls (play money) at both places. Recently, I decided to deposit $25 at UB and try my hand at the micro games. After a few nights at the .05/.1 tables NL I found myself down to my last $5. With damaged pride I moved down to the penny tables. After doing some research here and other places online I've tuned my game and now almost have my deposit back. I would like to move up again once I build my bankroll a bit more but this time I want to come prepared.

As for the past poker books I've read... well, there isn't any on my list yet. So far I've purely been going on my limited experience and what I've picked up through friends, and findings on the net.

If you could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

benfranklin
08-31-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If you could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would point you in the direction of this forum. Start going back through previous threads. There are extensive discussions and book reviews.

No one knows what your needs are but you. No one can answer the question of what best fits your game and your experience level. Read the forum and decide what sounds best for you.

Allinlife
08-31-2005, 02:26 PM
The theory of poker, Inside the poker mind and PL/NL book by Bob Ciaffone/Stew Rueben

08-31-2005, 02:56 PM
i assume that you have been playing NL Hold'em so the book that i would suggest would be the following. Start with play poker like the pros or super system. These books will teach you some of the basics you need. After that go get a copy of Sklansky's hold'em poker for advance players and the theory of poker. These two books are a little bit more advance so you might what some experience first before getting these two books

Macedon
08-31-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The theory of poker, Inside the poker mind and PL/NL book by Bob Ciaffone/Stew Rueben

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, not Inside the Poker Mind.
That book is not a top three book by ANY stretch.

Put Harrington on Hold Em' with those other two.
That's the books he should buy.

gildwulf
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
My suggestion would be to play 5+.5 SNGs or .5/1 limit poker if you have a super limited bankroll (and read the 2+2 forums). My book choices for those are:

General Poker Theory:

Theory of Poker is all you need

Limit:
Holdem Poker for Advanced Players-Sklansky
Weighing the Odds- King Yao
Ed Miller's Book

Tourney:
Tournament Poker for Advanced Players-Sklanksy
Harrington on Hold'em (HOH) 1- Dan Harrington
HOH2

Depalma
08-31-2005, 07:27 PM
For the micro NL games, I would recommend:

1. The Theory of Poker by Sklansky

2. Pot Limit and No Limit Poker by Reuben and Ciaffone.

By the time you have read, studied, and put into practice those two books and are ready for #3, the NL book by Sklansky and Miller may be out and, judging by their past efforts, will likely be a must have book. If it is not out by that time, then get Harrington on Holdem I. While it is geared more to tournaments, you will still find some excellent information that you will be able to apply to your game.

09-03-2005, 01:45 PM
just ordered:
Theory of Poker, Harrington on Hold'em Vol1, and Pot Limit and No Limit Poker on amazon. I can't wait to read them.

Thank you all for your advice.

Smokey98
09-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Some of these suggestions are just flat out crazy. Yes, TOP is one of the best poker books written, it's not for beginners. It sounds like this guy is just starting out so why are you suggesting TOP first. I personally would suggest that you read SSHE first. This book will give you enough information about how low-limit players play. It will at least put you at a break even playing status. After you read that and play a lot of poker, reread SSHE. You can then read TOP and HPFAP.