PDA

View Full Version : Session Management (Semi-tilt)

phildirt
08-31-2005, 08:34 AM
This is been my problem lately, Multitableing I'll be up in 1 or 2 tables small (in these tables I think I'm playing well and have an advantage) and down big in in 1 or 2 (I don't think I'm playing badly). So I drop the loosing tables figuring I either playing badly, my opponents are playing better, or the game doesn't suit my style of play. While looking for another tables I start to loose in the tables I was up in. So in a short time I go from I'm not playing that bad and down a little to I'm know playing Like crap and down big for the session. I have played enough to know my game If I'm playing well over the long term my bankroll goes up slow and steady playing badly is a much sharper fall.

I looking for ways to improve this aspect of my game. I a new to the game and I am still learning. Short of playing good poker all the time (I'm working on that). What can I do to recognize when I not playing well. I don't think it's classic tilt.

Thanks in advance.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 09:09 AM
I think it's a good idea to leave tables you are down in, and continue playing tables you are up in, and practice this myself. You could be playing the same on all tables, but your opponents would be different, and your table image would also be different. Once you are winning, though, doesn't excuse bad play or tilting.

You need to learn to focus on playing your best game all the time, maximizing profitable situations, and not worrying about small losses as long as you are playing corrrect and (hopefully) winning overall.

Edit: It should be fairly obvious, once experienced, when you aren't playing your best game. The problem most players have is they simply can't quit playing even once they've realized this, and choose instead to succumb to denial.

Mr. Curious
08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I drop the loosing tables figuring I either playing badly, my opponents are playing better, or the game doesn't suit my style of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you are trying to do too much at once. Taking a guess or "Figuring" why you are not doing well at those tables does you no good. You need to "know" why you are not doing well. Only then can you make the best decision about how to handle it.

Cut down on the number of tables that you play until you are fully aware of how you are playing at each table. Once you can handle one table, add a second. Once you can handle two tables, add a third. Etc.

Dan Mezick
08-31-2005, 08:52 PM
Play one table and play it well. If you have skills you can play a single table higher than you are playing now. The players there will reward your skills if you have them.

As an experiment, do one thing and do it well. You may find your earn actually gets quite a bit better.

You may like to experiment writing down every time you spend chips. For example keep track of # of SB-BB and whenever you VP$IP.

Later even if you are down slightly at session end you can see you played well, for example raising with a middle pair in the right spot but releasing after the flop instead of going too far with it. Etc.

See also:

The Tailor Made Game (http://www.pokerfyi.com/articles/4/16.aspx)