PDA

View Full Version : car question?

steelcmg
08-31-2005, 07:15 AM
Im no car expert but my car has been leaking white smoke out of the exaust which is coolant. So i put in some bars leaks stuff into the radiatior to see if that would help. It made a big difference but it still does it when i get over 70mph and hit the gas to pass someone. They other thing its doing is burning oil.

My question is when i shut my car off today when i got to work the engine kept knocking and seemeed to be still running. Im not sure if this is a sign that shes going to kick it sooner then i thought or what. I know my pops told me that ill be lucky to get thru the winter with it since its burning oil like it is and the other stupid crap thats wrong but should i start looking sooner then expected?

Magic8Ball
08-31-2005, 08:13 AM
Yes.

skipperbob
08-31-2005, 08:18 AM
Changing the sparkplugs might be an easy quick-fix

imported_The Vibesman
08-31-2005, 08:20 AM
Sounds like a head gasket. Be on the lookout for new wheels.

Corey
08-31-2005, 08:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bars leaks stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad Idea. This stuff is absolutely terrible for a radiator. It will work in the short term, but long term you just f-ed your radiator.

[ QUOTE ]
My question is when i shut my car off today when i got to work the engine kept knocking and seemeed to be still running. Im not sure if this is a sign that shes going to kick it sooner then i thought or what. I know my pops told me that ill be lucky to get thru the winter with it since its burning oil like it is and the other stupid crap thats wrong but should i start looking sooner then expected?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without major work, I don't think your car will make it much longer. IT sounds like a head gasket problem that has been manifesting it with the smoke.

steelcmg
08-31-2005, 08:28 AM
I yea im like 80% sure its the head and i was only looking for a short term fix for the radiator so i figured the bars leaks would do the job. I mean what could it hurt.

jakethebake
08-31-2005, 08:29 AM
skipperbob, your avatar is creeping me out.

ChipWrecked
08-31-2005, 08:35 AM
Head gasket's blown, doh. Major repair.

The other thing is called 'dieseling' or 'afterrunning' and can often be stopped by using a higher octane gas.

steelcmg
08-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Yea i had my car stolen and i guess the fucker ran the hell out of it but ever since i got it back its been nothing but trouble im ready to let someone rear end me so i can get something out of the POS.

dynamite
08-31-2005, 07:09 PM
It might not only be a head gasket, but a cracked head, which is much worse. Sometimes with small cracks it will smoke white on startup, but when warmed up, the smoke will go away, due to the aluminum head expanding.