PDA

View Full Version : Different Dog Question

David Sklansky
08-31-2005, 06:53 AM
To cure a rash on your friend's finger that otherwise will itch moderately and hurt slightly for three days (no other downsides), you must get a dog out of the pound and perform a procedure on it where it is kept conscious and put through terrible pain. What now?

PLOlover
08-31-2005, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To cure a rash on your friend's finger that otherwise will itch moderately and hurt slightly for three days (no other downsides), you must get a dog out of the pound and perform a procedure on it where it is kept conscious and put through terrible pain. What now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this like a treasure hunt or something? I have no idea what you are talking about.

I would put this in the same category as Africans who believe they can cure their AIDS by having sex with an infant.

I guess if you believe it you might do it if you're scum.

craig r
08-31-2005, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The friends pain seems much less than torturing a dog. So, I say, let the friend itch.

craig

mackthefork
08-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Let him itch. Too easy.

Mack

xniNja
08-31-2005, 07:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let him itch. Too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's not even a conflicting alternative... come on, no one will weigh a human's itching finger over a dog's life.

You have to talk about something they care about, like "Your crazy friend suddenly decides he's going to become an atheist... you could show him the light by taking a dog from the pound ..."

MelchyBeau
08-31-2005, 01:33 PM
What if you hate dogs?

What if the dog has rabies and would probably infect other dogs thus causing a pandemic of rabies?

What if the dog was hitler reincarnate?

What if the dog rivered you several times in the course of a high stakes NL poker game?

What if the dog was responsible for killing the person who would cure cancer?

What if the person was a neurosurgeon and couldn't preform surgury to save several peoples lives due to the itch?

your questions are absurd, just like these

Melch

spaminator101
08-31-2005, 05:52 PM
that would be so extremely cruel
i know i couldn't do it

Jman28
08-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Are you asking what we would do, or asking again for a philosophy or religion that can answer this question?

If you're asking for the latter, you really should've specified that unless you wanted a lot of useless responses.

housenuts
08-31-2005, 06:45 PM
it's an itch? wtf

this is your most ridiculous question yet. who cares about an itchy finger.

are you trying to get at what level of pain would be appropriate to do in the dog instead?

David Sklansky
08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
I said slight pain as well. So I will change it to moderate pain. But I'm already surprised that no one is saying that a dog with no owner is so much less important than humans that his pain is relatively irrelevant. If his whole life is worth less than twenty four extra hours for a dying man, why doesn't this translate into pain as well?

fluff
08-31-2005, 07:24 PM
As we see dogs as "man's best friend" in our culture, and that most people hate to see pain and suffering in animals, I think minor discomfort for a friend is the lesser evil here. If the animal in question was say...a rat, maybe that will shift.

Or if the friend is hot and has large boobs, and there is a significant possibilty of a hummer in the near future.

craig r
08-31-2005, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said slight pain as well. So I will change it to moderate pain. But I'm already surprised that no one is saying that a dog with no owner is so much less important than humans that his pain is relatively irrelevant. If his whole life is worth less than twenty four extra hours for a dying man, why doesn't this translate into pain as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does the example have to be "somebody else"? Why can't it be yourself instead. If you were in moderate pain? I think the answers would still be the same.

craig

SomethingClever
08-31-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't matter if the dog has an owner or not. This isn't close.

FWIW, I might cut off a friend's (or my own) finger to save my dog's life.

Have you ever had a dog, David?

stillbr
08-31-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm trying to figure out what your getting at & the answer is simple. When the pain I have from seeing my freind suffer outweighs my own personal suffering I recieve from harming a dog then it becomes correct to harm the dog.

Piers
08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
I would let my feeling of the moment decide, however I would be amazed if I fixed my friends finger.

I cannot believe my friends itch would compare with the discomfort I would feel from torturing the dog.

stillbr
08-31-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cannot believe my friends itch would compare with the discomfort I would feel from torturing the dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

08-31-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

[/ QUOTE ]

What if someone else would do what was necassary to the dog and you had to pay this person $5 to relieve the itching?

David Sklansky
08-31-2005, 08:24 PM
"FWIW, I might cut off a friend's (or my own) finger to save my dog's life.

Have you ever had a dog, David?"

What makes you think you know how I would answer these questions?

SomethingClever
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"FWIW, I might cut off a friend's (or my own) finger to save my dog's life.

Have you ever had a dog, David?"

What makes you think you know how I would answer these questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, guess I jumped to a conclusion.

/puts away jump to conclusions mat.

08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
Getting past the initial reaction that you have way too much time on your hands, I'm going to go with my lazy side, and say that's way too much trouble to stop the itch. BTW, what's the guy been doing to get this itch.lol. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Shooby

PokerNeophyte
09-01-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If his whole life is worth less than twenty four extra hours for a dying man, why doesn't this translate into pain as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

One might reasonably think that we should generally reduce dog pain or not cause dog pain (because, e.g., one thinks pain is bad), but not thereby be committed to thinking that dog life is particularly valuable. The idea that a being's pain is bad does not need to entail a tremendous amount of value in that being's continued existence. Certainly, the relationship between the disvalue one places on a being's pain and the value that one places on that being's continued existence can differ substantially from being to being. So, one might think dog pain (especially extreme dog pain) to be nearly as bad as (or even worse than) doggy death, while thinking that human pain (even terrible human pain) is not quite as bad as human death. One might have many reasons for thinking that there is a difference in the relative values of pain and death for different beings. FOR EXAMPLE, in this case, one might think that human self-consciousness makes continued human life valuable in a way that doggy life is not.

David Sklansky
09-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Correct Answer. Forces me to ask a new question above.

RJT
09-01-2005, 02:41 AM
If I kill the dang dog, will you stop the torture of these questions? LOL

EliteNinja
09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Just get Gold Bond.
Jeez.

scalf
09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif david:

i just wish ya had said hamster instaed of dog.

i was horrified; went immediately and gave my pooch a treat

yuop; i did

gl

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif