PDA

View Full Version : Gutei's Finger.

JoshuaD
08-31-2005, 04:56 AM
Whenever anyone asked him about Zen, the great master Gutei would quietly raise one finger into the air. A boy in the village began to imitate this behavior. Whenever he heard people talking about Gutei's teachings, he would interrupt the discussion and raise his finger. Gutei heard about the boy's mischief. When he saw him in the street, he seized him and cut off his finger. The boy cried and began to run off, but Gutei called out to him. When the boy turned to look, Gutei raised his finger into the air. At that moment the boy became enlightened.

housenuts
08-31-2005, 06:42 AM
enlightened that he had no finger?

PairTheBoard
08-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Lucky for the boy that Gutei's signature move wasn't exposing his nuts.

PairTheBoard

PLOlover
08-31-2005, 07:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When the boy turned to look, Gutei raised his finger into the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grammar and common usage have always been at odds here. Did Gutei raise the severed finger or his own?

Either way I don't get it.

Good Idea
08-31-2005, 09:07 AM
The boy was enlightened because in that moment (Gutei raising his finger) the boy saw that it's not about fingers. Whether or not they are attached makes no difference as we proceed down the path towards enlightenment.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The boy was enlightened because in that moment (Gutei raising his finger) the boy saw that it's not about fingers. Whether or not they are attached makes no difference as we proceed down the path towards enlightenment.

[/ QUOTE ]

How, where, and why is this implied or inferred?

John Cole
08-31-2005, 10:01 AM
It's an interpretation. Keep in mind these Zen koans work like parables, and although open to differing interpretations, the reader--or hearer--will probably adhere to some sort of interpretive framework to understand the meaning. In other words, it's not a stop sign.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 10:29 AM
Is it a personal interpretation, or is there a generally accepted interpretation by people who follow Zen principles?

I would personally (based more on the parable itself, rather than knowledge of Zen) infer the boy's enlightenment came as a realization that ones own experience is necessary in achieving enlightenment, not necessarily the standard spiritual/mental vs. physical path.

(When people asked Gutei about Zen, he raised his finger rather than explain - as it could not be explained, but the boy whose finger was taken experienced it for himself)

I'll add that I've studied Buddhism, but never fully grasped the crux of Zen. I'm interested what, if anything, lead to that interpretation.

Good Idea
08-31-2005, 01:53 PM
I just took a stab at it. I like your answer better

PLOlover
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How, where, and why is this implied or inferred?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was more of a FightClub-esque "You are not your body!"