PDA

View Full Version : Playing my draw aggressively and getting there.

weevil
08-31-2005, 04:50 AM
Button is 26/16/3 over 50 hands, and seemed like a decent player (until this hand).
UTG is 73/11/1.1 over 30 hands, seems to be weak/tight when he doesn't have anything, and feisty when he does.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (17 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB

PF seems standard, button has a wide raising standard here and it looks like a big pot is building with the two generous donators at the table.

Flop seems standard. Even after the flop cap, I have a good equity edge, and squeezing UTG rocks. Any reason to play this flop more slowly?

UTG wasn't so bad postflop that I couldn't put him on a flush draw or a straight draw, and this card probably helped him. He's fishy enough to call two cold. Button might three bet me too, which I'd probably then just call and lead any non-pair river.

River had me squirming a bit. I doubt UTG would bother to think about chopping this pot with any other ace and losing to the flush, which is to say I think he'll play a straight like this just as likely as a flush. I'm postive I have button beat, so the overlay is good for a 3bet/call. How'd I do?

imported_leader
08-31-2005, 05:00 AM
I'm more inclined to 3-bet this then call PF. The rest seems obvious to me. I don't see how you can not 3-bet the river with the second nut two card flush.

kidcolin
08-31-2005, 05:28 AM
Especially with a 4-straight on the board and someone definitely holding the Ace.

3-betting has its merits, but since there are two limpers, his raise isn't a steal raise and there's some chance your dominated, and you're out of position. You don't really want to knock out the limpers in that situation. I'd probably call.

kidcolin
08-31-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG wasn't so bad postflop that I couldn't put him on a flush draw or a straight draw, and this card probably helped him. He's fishy enough to call two cold. Button might three bet me too, which I'd probably then just call and lead any non-pair river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this plan. Cap the turn if he 3-bets. UTG will probably come along again if he called two on the turn already, and you have to charge the button if he's drawing to a full-house or has the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

imported_leader
08-31-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't really want to knock out the limpers in that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most limpers aren't going anywhere from my experience. I mean UTG open limped which is a signal for being a fish. If UTG calls, CO isn't folding much.

stigmata
08-31-2005, 05:39 AM
I prefer just calling preflop in this spot.

I would donkbet the turn, thus trapping UTG and hopefully getting your ass raised by the button. Then you get to 3-bet too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

imported_leader
08-31-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious. What else would you call here?

weevil
08-31-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would donkbet the turn, thus trapping UTG and hopefully getting your ass raised by the button. Then you get to 3-bet too /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this, but if button was paying attention, he's calling with more hands than he's raising. If he raises we will probably get 9 bets in on the turn, but only 3 if he calls. I think the CR is the best play though.

stigmata
08-31-2005, 05:49 AM
I can see a good argument for raising for value with bad players in the pot.

Just that your OOP against a TAG non-steal raise. Your going to have showdown the best hand to win it. I find it easier to play postflop (protect hand, get away from hand) if I just call.

stigmata
08-31-2005, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought about this

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair 'nuff

imported_leader
08-31-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Just that your OOP against a TAG non-steal raise. Your going to have showdown the best hand to win it. I find it easier to play postflop (protect hand, get away from hand) if I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just curious what else you're calling since I'm calling nothing except 22-77 here and I think it's a leek in my game.

oreogod
08-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Wow, the button bet the turn...I dont know what he could put you on besides what u had, maybe a set...yet he bet.

I think this turn is a pretty easy bet, UTG will call two as u say, so he will call one, button is an idiot and if he raises u 3-bet and go from there.

This turn is going to get checked more often than u think.

kidcolin
08-31-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just curious what else you're calling since I'm calling nothing except 22-77 here and I think it's a leek in my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is optimal, but against this type of player, I'll call with KQs most of the time, and with AJs and ATs. KJs sometimes against a weaker, looser player (though this may be a leak).

As for pairs, I'll also add 88 and 99 to the call list in spots like this. You likely have the best hand, but protecting it will be a bitch in a 4 handed 3-bet pot, and your edge isn't huge. You can just call in these spots and your relative position will allow for a check-raise on safe flops. If there's only 1 limper, I'll usually 3-bet though.