PDA

View Full Version : give me a better line

The Goober
08-31-2005, 04:28 AM
button is a thinking player, but he plays too loose preflop and a bit too agressive postflop. He will often lay down a hand when he thinks he's beat, and I've seen him bet and fold to a raise a couple times this session. He's also the type of player that checks behind a lot on the river. I felt pretty confident he would bet if checked to in this hand.

SB and CO are good, tight players. BB is a total unknown, although at first blush he seems on the loose passive side.

I really don't like the way I played this. Check-raising the turn seems like the obvious move, but I felt there was a good chance that button would lay down a lot of hands if I did that, even a fair number of medium diamonds.

PF: I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the hijack (to the right of CO)
everyone folds to me and CO is telegraphing a fold. I raise, only button and BB call.

Flop 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players, 6 SB)
BB checks, I check, button bets, BB calls, I call

Turn 3/images/graemlins/club.gif (2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif) (3 players, 4.5 BB)
BB checks, I check, button bets, BB calls, I call

River 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3/images/graemlins/club.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif) (3 players, 7.5 BB)
BB checks, I bet, button folds, BB calls

thirddan
08-31-2005, 04:33 AM
i like a flop or turn c/r since you have BB trapped for a bet already...

shant
08-31-2005, 04:35 AM
I would've just bet the flop, but as you played it how do you not checkraise the turn after both of them put a bet in?

clownshoes
08-31-2005, 04:35 AM
Well you can start by checking less and betting more.

ErrantNight
08-31-2005, 08:03 AM
bet the flop. bet the turn.

ErrantNight
08-31-2005, 08:04 AM
the flop seems ridiculously likely to get checked through if our hero checks it. likewise the turn. that he got so frickin' lucky and failed to raise is a tragedy... but he should never have given himself the opportunity.

oreogod
08-31-2005, 08:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodles
08-31-2005, 08:12 AM
bet flop ,bet turn ,bet river

your trying to be too fancy shmancy,

mar
08-31-2005, 09:15 AM
I would also bet this flop, almost everybody would take it for an auto bet from you and if lucky you can catch some good action if button holds the Kd or even Qd.

But when you not bets the flop not raising the turn is a big misstake. I think that most players will call that extra bet.

sean c
08-31-2005, 11:18 AM
Goober this type of hand I tend to play very straight foward. I am bet/raising every chance I get either our villains have a hand they are willing to pay to draw at or have a weak made hand and think you are full of sh.... Even if I get raised on the flop by the button I am three betting and leading the turn on the off chance he is looking for a free card if the BB check/raises the flop then I will probably call and raise his turn bet but checking here on any street is really just costing you money IMO. As played not check/raising the turn is a really big mistake.

The Goober
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I know CR the turn is the obvious, and most likely correct play here. My fear was that I would lose the button because its such a strong move. I forgot to mention that I had a pretty tight image at this point (I've played with him a lot before).

Part of the reason that I posted this is its different from how I usually play. I'm generally always in the bet, bet, bet camp but this was a hand I where I thought I should try something different. I felt that this is one of the few flops where a slowplay actually makes sense, because it fit these criteria:
-the pot is pretty small
-there's a good chance everyone will fold if I bet
-there's a good chance that a cheap/free card will make a good second-best hand (a lower flush)
-there's not much chance that a cheap/free card will allow someone to outdraw me

(I should also mention that the last few times I flopped the nut flush after a PF raise, no one called my flop bet - maybe I was on tilt...)

On the flop, I felt pretty confident button would bet - he wasn't the type of player who liked to let it get checked through when it looks like he can steal it (or value bet his mid PP). I also felt pretty confident that he would follow up with a turn bet.

The river is where I felt really lost. I realized too late that he would probably check through, so I had to donk-bet it. I think in this particular case, he would have folded to the turn CR, but that would have made me the same amount of money as I ended up making, plus he might have called and given me an extra bet.

So yeah, CR the turn or just bet, bet, bet. Any opponent who's going to go nuts when he makes his Q-high flush is also going to pay me off trying to get there. I've gone from really not liking to downright hating the way I played this. Thanks again for the input.

Sarge85
08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You raised PF, your expected to bet, and it's unlikely anyone is going to put you on a flush.

Your missed bets here obviously there are people that like their hand. You may have gotten lucky and raised on the flop, and hand all the broadway /images/graemlins/diamond.gifs calling you down - not to mention pairs, and other hands that are for the most part drawing dead.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

ErrantNight
08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
did you even read the replies? CR the turn is not the issue. sometimes it will be correct, sometimes not. but what you should have got from these responses is that to not bet the flop is irresponsible. it sets up a possible turn checkraise, or a flop war, and/or everything.

you must learn to bet this flop... otherwise your tricky big bet street plays will be, um, useless.

KDawgCometh
08-31-2005, 04:35 PM
bet the flop, cause everyone is expecting it. call a raise if it happens. then cr the turn as you wanted to do, I doubt that both players will fold