PDA

View Full Version : Slight Connection problem

Neuge
08-31-2005, 04:04 AM
I have an exceptionally fast cable connection which occasionally goes out and/or my modem needs reset. The problem is, when I power cycle my modem and router my computer claims it's "Searching for Network Address" until I restart, even though I can connect to the internet. The connection wizard floods my connection with incoming and outgoing packets that severly hamper my speeds, occasionally causing lag out of some poker games.

It's only happened recently and I suspect I may have unwittingly deleted a needed registry entry. Not a major concern as it's easily corrected by rebooting, but no one on other forums I frequent has been able to give me a solution. Just seeing if anyone here has an idea.

BBill
08-31-2005, 11:51 AM
What is the DHCP setting for Client Lease Time on your router?
It should be at least a day
also
Do you have a default gateway entered (not obtained automatically) in the advanced TCP/IP settngs on you PC?

if that doesn't resolve it, and you are comfortable configuring you router, do a factory reset on you router and reconfigure with basic requirements.

What kind of router do you have?

Neuge
08-31-2005, 05:04 PM
The client lease time on my router is set at 1 day and I haven't messed with the factory settings on it except for forwarding a couple ports.

I have the default gateway set to obtain automatically on my PC.

It's a Linksys BEFSR41.

BBill
09-01-2005, 02:17 AM
I also have a Linksys BEFSR. I'm nt sure why that would happen. I have my pc setup to obtain the ip address automatically, but I put a static default gateway in the TCP/IP settings (192.168.1.1)
Not sure if I had to or it was just habit.

also with the linksys routers you can usually download an updated firmware for them. Its kind of like updating a ROM bios and it can solve a lot of problems if your current firmware is old.

You can see the date / revision on the "status" page when you web into the router (http://192.168.1.1)
mine is
Firmware Version: 1.45.6, Jun 24 2003
and I have not problems with it.

LethalRose
09-01-2005, 02:19 AM
you a NSA bill?

BBill
09-01-2005, 03:49 AM
not sure, maybe what's an nsa?