PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

Zeno
08-31-2005, 01:46 AM
Red Cross (http://www.redcross.org/)

I'm sure there are other worthy organizations that also need money to help out the victims. Perhaps others can post additional links.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 01:50 AM
God, I wish I could donate more than I did. Thanks for the link Zeno.

garyjacosta
08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Do you know if there is any need for volunteer help? I am from the area and all my family is still there. I am serioulsy considering moving back just to pitch in.

sweetjazz
08-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Phone numbers for other charities which will be helping in the recovery effort can be found here (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/30/help.agencies/index.html).

OtisTheMarsupial
08-31-2005, 05:18 PM
United Blood Services - donate blood
http://www.unitedbloodservices.org/

Red Cross - donate money
http://www.redcross.org/

Hurricane Relief Fund for Animals - donate money or adoptive home http://www.bestfriends.org/

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Can we sticky this?

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
BTW there is going to be a $5 and $20 R&A charity tourney on Pstars where they are matching the contributions. So I'll probably donate some money to that knowing it will be doubled cause I can't really afford to send much.

Oh well for poker content....

Just check the zoo.

ZBTHorton
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty
08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we sticky this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stickied threads need to be locked. Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

It's, in part, an advertiser issue (since their ads are at the tops of the page).

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
lock it then, all we need is the adress.

Dynasty
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lock it then, all we need is the adress.

[/ QUOTE ]

People will be posting additional links. Others will have questions.

This is a thread which will be regularly bumped over the next week.

ThaSaltCracka
08-31-2005, 05:49 PM
fair enough.

MyTurn2Raise
08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
bump

Slacker13
08-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Just to let everyone know, Myself, Granny Mae and JasonHoldem have organized a relief tourney. Here are the first of the details, more will be posted later. LINKY (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3277031&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

We get alot more for our money this way.

Sponger15SB
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

People read in threaded mode? I pity them.

peachy
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
donated at some local places here that r sending relief...so im sure if u check around where u r local banks/grocery stores/etc are doing the same!

DemonDeac
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks for the link

just donated what i could

kipin
08-31-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bump

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump after a 10 minute gap in posting seems to be unrequired.

Harv72b
08-31-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pledging here & now to donate 100% of my poker profits from this coming weekend. I think it'd be really cool if others who can afford to do the same.

jstnrgrs
08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pledging here & now to donate 100% of my poker profits from this coming weekend. I think it'd be really cool if others who can afford to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be happy to do the same, but that would probably mean that I would be taking about $150 from the charities, so I think this is not the best way for me to help.

jstnrgrs
08-31-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can we sticky this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stickied threads need to be locked. Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

It's, in part, an advertiser issue (since their ads are at the tops of the page).

[/ QUOTE ]

Durring the Brown Trout FF draft, the thread was stickied to the top of sporting events for about 2 weeks without being locked.

jstnrgrs
08-31-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise, those who read the forum in threaded mode will have the same long thread at the top of the page all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

People read in threaded mode? I pity them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there another way to tell what post is in response to what?

yellowjack
08-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Hey guys I don't want to sound like an ass, but does anyone know of an organization that is matching donations? If not I'll just donate to the Red Cross.

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you know if there is any need for volunteer help? I am from the area and all my family is still there. I am serioulsy considering moving back just to pitch in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you hit the NBC Today show site there is a link to a clearing house for volunteers. They interviewed Jean Chasky today on this. She mentioned that the only volunteer work through those organizations will be 'trained' volunteers. She was making the point that the volunteers they are looking for right now need to be trained in hazardous duty and other things because the work will be dangerous for some time to come.

Good luck though. I'm sure they can use your help however you give it.

BillNye
08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
http://www.officialstats.com/donate/unclesam-donate.png

Mercsgrl
08-31-2005, 10:02 PM
http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=AOL&cmpgn=NEWS&RTP=http://news.channel.aol.com

mmbt0ne
08-31-2005, 11:38 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Hey guys I don't want to sound like an ass, but does anyone know of an organization that is matching donations? If not I'll just donate to the Red Cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paradise Poker. See the Zoo sticky.

Ray Zee
09-01-2005, 02:15 AM
rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries, send it directly to the areas thru their fire departments. this way 100% of what you send gets spent right where you want it for the people that need it.

wacki
09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries,

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??!?! are you serious? That should be a crime.

KaneKungFu123
09-01-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rather thaen send money to a big outfit that its directors get half million dollar salaries, send it directly to the areas thru their fire departments. this way 100% of what you send gets spent right where you want it for the people that need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the director of red cross drives a rolls royce.

Slacker13
09-01-2005, 03:36 AM
I know were not suppose to mention poker here but I figured since this was for a good cause I could slide by this time. Here is a way for everyone to donate and get your money matched at the same time. A few of us started a charity tourney and would greatly appreciate if OOT could spread the word. It is def for a great cause. LINKY (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3286037&amp;page=0&amp;view=e xpanded&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;fpart=)

09-01-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right and that is why I won't donate to the Red Cross. I don't Donate to anything anyway but you guys probably could have figured that out. Why is it surprising that these charitable organizations pocket a % of the money ? They are human. If you saw a pile of money on the side of the road on your way home, what would you do ? You'd keep at least a little bit of it even if you were completely honest.

bones
09-01-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you saw a pile of money on the side of the road on your way home, what would you do ? You'd keep at least a little bit of it even if you were completely honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, are a moran.

JTrout
09-01-2005, 10:45 AM
LOWE's is matching consumer donations (up to $1m).

I believe the funsd are going to Red Cross, not positive.
But this is a chance to have your contribution matched.

Diplomat
09-01-2005, 11:09 AM
I agree %100.

***Warning, controversial political statement to follow***

I stopped donating money to the Red Cross shortly after 9/11. I felt ripped off and cheated, and decided to never donate to them again.

-Diplomat

mackthefork
09-01-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree %100.

***Warning, controversial political statement to follow***

I stopped donating money to the Red Cross shortly after 9/11. I felt ripped off and cheated, and decided to never donate to them again.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I'm confused.

Mack

Glenn
09-01-2005, 11:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with paying directors of major charitable orgainizations for the same reason there is nothing wrong with doctors making 500k. When dealing with a disaster of large proportions, it must be dealt with in a business like manner. Billons of dollars are at stake, and they must be efficiently used and allocated. The people who are qualified to do this don't always work for free, and they shouldn't have to. A director that gets paid 500k might create 3m of increased efficiency. The people managing investment of the endowments are another example. A local fire department may spend virutally nothing on administrative fees, but they are terribly inefficient, especially in a major castastrophe. The idea is to help as many people as possible. While a local fireman may want to help people for more unselfish reasons, a Harvard business graduate will do a better job of it, even if he is doing it just to get paid. The Red Cross's handling of 9/11 was poor as Diplomat pointed out, but they claim to have a 30:1 volunteer to paid employee ratio, and to spend 91% of donations on actual aid. Assuming this is at least close to accurate, it seems quite reasonable to spend ~10% of donated money to have the best and brightest organizing relief efforts. Also, volunteers suffer from a lack of accountability. Since they are recieving nothing for their work, and doing it only out of good will, there are more lax standards for their performance. There are bad charitable organizations as Zee pointed out. Many are city level charities run by corrupt or incompetant people. It is important to be careful in who you donate too. However the idea that it is wrong to donate to an organization with paid (even highly paid) employees is completely wrong. In fact, I would be wary about the efficacy of any large organization using only volunteers.

Slacker13
09-01-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You sir, are a moran.

[/ QUOTE ]
His posts are so stupid it's actually becoming entertaining to read them.

Ray Zee
09-01-2005, 12:07 PM
a case can be made for alot of big org. work. but for natural disasters the local firemen can buy water and food and know where to put it to its best use. someone in new york can only bark orders over his cell phone. but he is the best at raising the most money.
doolars in general may be used well by the red cross. but your particular money is best used by the local honest volunteer people.

Glenn
09-01-2005, 12:30 PM
The majority of the people on the ground for the Red Cross are local, honest volunteers. In this tradgedy in particular, a small local organization is virutally useless unless they work under the umbrella of a larger group who can coordinate all of their efforts. As far as supplies go, the purchasing power of someone like United Way or Red Cross allows them to get better supplies more cheaply. Also, given the security, transportation, and housing situations in New Orleans right now, small groups are virtually impotent. Three local fireman floating up to an angry mob of 5000 people with 100 gallons of water and some canned goods will create more problems than it will solve.

Mercsgrl
09-01-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree....I have donated money but really want to donate the needed supplies. I have so many people willing to donate things that are so desperately needed there but we dont know how to get it to them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Military, etc.

Thanks..

/images/graemlins/heart.gifStef /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Also..We donated to the Salvation Army...I prefer donating to them over the red cross....if anyone is interested check out their website or call 1-800-SALARMY

blatz
09-02-2005, 02:12 AM
There are alot of small churches in a 2-3 hour radius that are taking as many people in as they can, but still only 20-40. As the length of this takes on grueling proportions, they will certainly need help, and the money will go 100% to those that need...as things settle down, I will try to compile a list.

Bulldog
09-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Well said.

OtisTheMarsupial
09-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I have it on good authority that some divisions of the Red Cross are accepting volunteers to go help. You have to be in excellent health ("no asthma, no recent surgeries, no catheters" - yes, that's exactly what the flier I saw said). You have to be willing to go for 3 weeks. You will live in refugee situations, eating "camp food" and sleeping in areas that may not have air conditioning. You may have to confront dead bodies. They will train you and tell you what to do.

One number in Central Coast CA to call is (805) 543-0696 and speak to Kelly. I'm sure there are others, just call your LOCAL Red Cross.

OtisTheMarsupial
09-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes, many Red Cross chapters are lookking for volunteers.
I hear FEMA is also looking for volunteers. I hear FEMA wants a 2 week commitment. Red Cross wants 3 weeks I hear, but a few chapters want less.

James282
09-02-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are alot of small churches in a 2-3 hour radius that are taking as many people in as they can, but still only 20-40. As the length of this takes on grueling proportions, they will certainly need help, and the money will go 100% to those that need...as things settle down, I will try to compile a list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do, I'd be far more interested in donating to something like this.
-James

09-03-2005, 02:45 PM
List of Links (http://tinaraniel.pitas.com)
I'll update that as often as I can.

Slacker13
09-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Here is website that breaks down all the charities.
web page (http://www.charitynavigator.org)
I don't want people not participating in this because they don't agree of the charity we selected. The bottom line here is to get these victims our money, make the best use of the money and most importantly take advantage of the matching offer by Paradise Poker.

I am not against changing the charity we donate to if it means more participation. Maybe we can build a list of quality charities that donate the largest portions to the victims and let the winner decide where the money should go from the list we come up with. I don't care where it goes as long as it gets there and is put to the best use possible.

I will get back to everyone on this.

Slacker13
09-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Man, I just responded to the wrong post. I am severely hungover, only excuse I have. Sry.

PoBoy321
09-04-2005, 06:02 AM
I'm just a poor college student but I donated #25, not much, but I figured it was the least I could do.

Soh
09-04-2005, 08:58 AM
This foundation will match 50% of the first million raised.

You can go to its website...
McCormick Tribune Foundation Hurricane Katrina Relief Campaign (http://www.mccormicktribune.org)

or call...
1-800-508-2848

Soh

Leo99
09-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Donate to Barry Manilow. Your donation is matched by Barry and his foundation so for each $1 you donate, $3 go to charity.

09-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Here's (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&amp;rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&amp;hl=en&amp;q=red+cross+liberty+fund+war &amp;btnG=Google+Search) the reason people are advising against donating to the Red Cross.

Overdrive
09-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Do you know that the director of the Red Cross makes $500,000 dollars a year? On the Don Imus show he said the Red Cross was a bloated organization set up just to pay the directors of the Red Cross big salaries. The Red Cross is a corrupt, money grubbing organization. Please donate to more worthy charities.

mackthefork
09-06-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you know that the director of the Red Cross makes $500,000 dollars a year? On the Don Imus show he said the Red Cross was a bloated organization set up just to pay the directors of the Red Cross big salaries. The Red Cross is a corrupt, money grubbing organization. Please donate to more worthy charities.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is Walmart, people still shop there. The question is are these people the best available to manage the company, if the answer is yes, then people need to stop complaining that they get paid for their work. If the boards of Dow and FTSE companies got paid less then so would the boards of charities, it's called open market value.

Mack

lastchance
09-06-2005, 11:51 AM
The guy who directs the Red Cross would probably make much more in the private market. I think $500,000 is a perfectly fine salary to pay a top management exec, like others have said.

touchfaith
09-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm surprised Big Steve didn't post this last night. He must have overlooked this thread...

From Big Steve's thread last night...
---------------------------------------------------------

Big Steve's Red Cross Needs Your Help

Ok I know we have many different levels of people here on 2+2.

If you can donate $10........DO IT.
If you can donate $10,000....DO IT.

Call 1-800-HELP-NOW to make a donation.

If you want it to go to my Chapter specifically, make sure you tell them your donation is for the Key Chapter of the American Red Cross in Meridian, Mississippi. (You do not have to donate to my chapter as we also receive funding from National.)

If you do donate(or have already) to my chapter or Nationally post here to let me know, my Director wants to thank you all in advance(I told her I was going to ask the poker community online for help).

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Big Steve

Matt Flynn
09-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Consider Catholic Charities USA:

http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/

Or donate directly to a Franciscan charity. All of that money will go to the right places.

IHateKeithSmart
09-06-2005, 11:46 PM
United Animal Nations (http://www.uan.org/) is providing emergency rescue services for the many animals affected by the Katrina disaster. They do great work - please consider donating.

LittleOldLady
09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Consider the Baton Rouge Area Foundation (braf.org). This is a long-established local charity with low overhead. The money it collects will go directly to displaced persons or to the rebuilding of New Orleans.

I myself evacuated to Baton Rouge and arrived in Las Vegas late Tuesday night. Vegas will now be my permanent home. I attempted today to get help from FEMA and the Red Cross--I was #232, and about 3-4 people were being helped an hour. Amiable Red Cross volunteers wandering aimlessly about offering exactly nothing but sympathy. Today was the first day FEMA even showed up. All of the time I spent in Baton Rouge with many other evacuees in a Motel 6, I saw nothing from the Red Cross or FEMA. The local churches did step up to set up foodlines in the parking lots of the various motels. This was a big help to the families who really cannot afford to stay indefinitely in motels.

I wouldn't give a penny to the Red Cross. After 9/11 I donated to Rusty Staub's foundation which gives a subsidy annually to the family of every NY cop and firefighter killed in the line of duty. The foundation has no paid staff, and the only expenses are office supplies. Consider some of the smaller charities operating directly in the affected areas.

Or you could donate to me (just kidding....)

LOL