PDA

View Full Version : Making the transition to 7Stud from Limit HE - Good books

DawnToDusk
08-31-2005, 12:58 AM
Hey. I am a limit hold'em player looking to get into some stud play. I am looking into some books and right now have a "basic winning strategy" book infront of me called Winning 7-Card Stud by Ashley Adams. Anyone hear of it and think its good?

What other books could you recommend? Something basic so I could get the feel for the game and get introduced to some of the intricacies of the game.

Mr. Peanut
08-31-2005, 01:19 AM
While I haven't read the Ashley Adams book, this forum doesn't seem to think very highly of it. Personally I would recommend the Chip Reese section in SuperSystem I as a good place to start, and then 7CSFAP. The SSI section is really good stuff, and while short, doesn't contain any "bad" advice (quite the contrary actually), which might not be able to be said for the Ashley Adams book.

peritonlogon
08-31-2005, 01:26 AM
that's the consensus, and 1 in 10 seem to like othmer's book

DawnToDusk
08-31-2005, 01:30 AM
Ya. I saw the 7CSFAP book and really wanted to buy it. I can't disagree with any 2+2 books as being top knotch. I just didn't want to buy it (as I didn't know if I would be overwhelmed by the "advanced" stuff) as I had no idea of what would be a good book.

I will look at the SSI stuff and then look into 7CSFAP.

grb137
08-31-2005, 07:25 AM
I've never understood why Adams' book doesn't get the respect it deserves - maybe because it came on the scene later. Anyway, I think it is a fine beginner book. It very clearly lays basic strategy, emphasizes the importance and discipline and hand selection, and is generally an interesting read. I thought it was a fantastic foundation for all my subsequent reading, namely 7CSFAP.

It was my first stud book, and I think I turned out ok. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

grb137
08-31-2005, 07:27 AM
and I agree with your decision to hold off on 7CSFAP. Get some time and experience with stud before picking it up, so you can better appreciate the subtleties that it teaches.

BeerMoney
08-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Did you read the FAQ's?

lane mcbride
08-31-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with adams book as long as you keep in mind that it is only a beginner's guide. that some of the advice is incorrect, and you may eventually have to modify some aspects of your game. I think it is a nice tool to familiarize yourself with stud before approaching a more serious work such as sklansky's book.

jon_1van
08-31-2005, 01:41 PM
remember that hands like KQJ aren't very good in general.

grb137
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
remember that hands like KQJ aren't very good in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Being completely live helps...have a 2 suited helps...being the highest upcard helps...having control of your table helps...etc etc.

"in general" statements are good for rolled hands, aces, and maybe Ks. Most everything else is extremely relative/multifactorial.

JMHO.

jon_1van
08-31-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"in general" statements are good for rolled hands, aces, and maybe Ks. Most everything else is extremely relative/multifactorial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I just mentioned them because I think alot of old LHE players overvalue "high bags"

grb137
08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Very true. I just mentioned them because I think alot of old LHE players overvalue "high bags"

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah hah - my HE ignorance rears its ugly head in the stud forum /images/graemlins/grin.gif

perfecto
08-31-2005, 04:15 PM
If you're just starting with stud, then start with Roy West. Sklansky & Malmuth's would get you to the next level. Other helpful tomes from Caro and Karpinsky.

Roland
08-31-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Karpinsky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Andy B
08-31-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Karpinsky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Beats me. How seriously are you going to take a guy who uses words like "tomes"?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andy B
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
If you have studied poker at all, there is no reason to bother with Adams, West, Adam West, Kammen, Ken Warren, whatever. Just get 7CS4AP.

I've read about half of the Adams book, and I'm not impressed.

Andy B
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I'll take KQJ every hand.