PDA

View Full Version : How to play this SB hand, 2/5 NL Wynn Deep Stacks

Xelent
08-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Hero (~$5000) is SB with 67. Villain (~$2500) is UTG and limps as do two others. Flop comes 256 rainbow. I lead for $20 and get called by just the villain. I had a couple ideas of what he could of had. He was an intelligent thinking player, but sometimes tough to put on a hand. I had only been at table for about 30 minutes.

Turn comes 7 for a board of 2567. I lead for $40 and he raises me to $140. I think for a while and call.

River comes T giving a possible, but unlikely backdoor flush for a final board of 2567T. Hero checks, villain bets $300.

How should I of played this hand differently and should I call the river bet. Could he have been going for a back-raise with AA? Does he have a small set and isn't scared of the strait?

creedofhubris
08-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hero (~$5000) is SB with 67. Villain (~$2500) is UTG and limps as do two others. Flop comes 256 rainbow. I lead for $20 and get called by just the villain. I had a couple ideas of what he could of had. He was an intelligent thinking player, but sometimes tough to put on a hand. I had only been at table for about 30 minutes.

Turn comes 7 for a board of 2567. I lead for $40 and he raises me to $140. I think for a while and call.

River comes T giving a possible, but unlikely backdoor flush for a final board of 2567T. Hero checks, villain bets $300.

How should I of played this hand differently and should I call the river bet. Could he have been going for a back-raise with AA? Does he have a small set and isn't scared of the strait?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it fine.

He's either got an overpair or a set, you'll have to decide which one.

You shouldn't be raising, it's call or fold.

Xelent
08-31-2005, 12:00 AM
Should I have folded on the turn raise? In my first few orbits, I got in a couple of hands with him where I won a large pot, making him fold 2 pair (I had a set, good fold) and I thought there was a chance he was making a move. But he also was showing discipline at the right moments so it was tough. I also still don't know wether or not to call the river and if I should go for a blocking bet.

creedofhubris
08-31-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have folded on the turn raise? In my first few orbits, I got in a couple of hands with him where I won a large pot, making him fold 2 pair (I had a set, good fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on how villain plays.

If he's tight enough to have folded 2 pair earlier, you might be in trouble.

There's no easy answer here.

Jason Strasser
08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
If he cant fool u and raise u with a worse hand on the river to get u to fold, you may want to block it. If he's a tough player I like your line you just gotta go with your gut and fold or call.

-Jason

AZK
08-31-2005, 10:03 AM
You guys like the turn lead? I don't know if I lead the turn here most of the time....bad?

lapoker17
08-31-2005, 10:11 AM
You think he limped UTG w 34?

AZK
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You think he limped UTG w 34?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but he has to either have a hand he will bet with or bluff with, so I wouldn't mind having him bet the turn? Then I can lead river? no? Lead change on every street? Blah?

mgsimpleton
08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
i usually check/call turn, lead river to get most value out of overpairs and be able to fold to a raise and get away not too expensively vs better hands

AZK
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
exactly what I was thinking.

mgsimpleton
08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
good riddance.

AZK
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Xelent
08-31-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i usually check/call turn, lead river to get most value out of overpairs and be able to fold to a raise and get away not too expensively vs better hands

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but the problem is, this guy wasn't value betting. He was throwing out big bets.

08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I do not like the turn play.
I like an overbet (2x pot) or check-raise to see where I am. If either results in a flat call, reckon you're ahead and fire on the river (is there any worse situation you could be in here than having to check the river and be left to guess?), where you probably will just get called.
If you get raised or reraised on the turn, then you do not figure to be ahead and you can get away from the hand.