PDA

View Full Version : AA & KK pre-flop theory

stu-unger
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
i usually am one to always advocate calling a re-raise pre-flop rather than 3-betting with AA & KK. the more i think about this, im not sure this is the optimal way to play them. obviously, calling a rr with KK and not 3 betting doesnt leave us with the question of will my villain only call with aces. it also gives our hand some disguise and keeps dominated hands like TT-QQ/AK-AQ in the hand when they may fold to a 3-bet. i think the problem lies in the fact that many villains will call with hands we have dominated. also in the fact that a lot of the time these rr's come from villains that have position on us, forcing us to play a big pot oop. i do still think that the call is right, but i think as SSNL the 3-bet is better in most situations.

i have added a few situations, that id like to see how u guys would play. if anyone would like to comment on how u play these flops im interested in this too.

stu-unger
08-30-2005, 11:39 PM
oh come on i see atleast 1 post a day with problems stemming from problems with AA & KK pre flop. no one has any opinions on the best way to play them in SSNL?

trumpman84
08-30-2005, 11:52 PM
The only time I 3-bet eitehr of these hands pre-flop is when a third party is coming along for the ride. If it's heads up, I usually just call a re-raise.

I don't like people to know exactly what I have and when you 3-bet pre-flop, it's screaming you have AA or KK.

yvesaint
08-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the problem lies in the fact that many villains will call with hands we have dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

So usually, this means the decision is based on one very important thing in NL: reads.

imported_anacardo
08-30-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only time I 3-bet eitehr of these hands pre-flop is when a third party is coming along for the ride. If it's heads up, I usually just call a re-raise.

I don't like people to know exactly what I have and when you 3-bet pre-flop, it's screaming you have AA or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of position, I generally always like to put in the last raise with AA or KK preflop, excepting KK only if my man is very tight. Heads-up and in position, I like to flat call with AA or KK quite a bit.