PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Ho-tep

bholdr
08-30-2005, 10:48 PM
sry if this has ben done.

I just bought Bubba Ho-Tep, and i thought it was FANTASTIC. Basicly, it's Elvis in a retirment home (weather or not he actually IS the King is never really revealed), and a guy that thinks he's JFK, Vs the mummy. yes, the mummy. an egyptian soul-stealing mummy in cowboy boots has been sucking the souls out of the retirees through their assholes and JFK and Elvis team up to fight it. wow.

i highly reccomend it. it's got a kind of meloncholy, nostalgic feel to it. the humor is dry and character based. it's got almost the same 'flavor' (for lack of a better word) as the big lewbowski, imo.

anyone else seen it? thoughts?

nothumb
08-30-2005, 10:55 PM
You neglected to mention that Bruce Campbell plays Elvis and Ossie Davis plays JFK.

Bruce Army of Fcuking Darkness Campbell.

This was a good, very campy movie. The Big Lebowski mold fits very loosely, just insofar as it has kind of absurd characters and dialogue, but it's a much less of a 'broad' movie than TBL in my opinion.

I liked it, it was silly.

NT

DarkForceRising
08-30-2005, 11:30 PM
My favourite line- so simple yet I can't forget it (think Elvis talking)- "Who is this Bubba Ho-Tep?".

bholdr
08-30-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favourite line- so simple yet I can't forget it (think Elvis talking)- "Who is this Bubba Ho-Tep?".

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. that was good. my fav: JFK: "I'm thinking with sand, here!" (he thinks his brain is in the white house and his head has been filled with a bag of sand)

Moneyline
08-31-2005, 12:01 AM
And it was directed by the guy who made the Phantasm movies... IMO, it's a very clever flick that had its funny moments and one awesome explosion, but did seem to drag in spots. Overall I think it's worth seeing.

imported_The Vibesman
08-31-2005, 12:59 AM
Thought it was fantastic. Hilarious. The opening scene kills.

I love how they make out like Ossie Davis really was JFK. Like his room looks completely different than everyone elses, tasteful, clean, mahogany, woodwork everywhere; presidential.

GrandmaStabone
08-31-2005, 01:31 AM
I love it when he gets the call from Elvis on the Red Phone....

diebitter
08-31-2005, 01:50 AM
Great film, I wouldn't call it campy.

Strangely enough, in that weird horror/Elvis/JFK setup, there's about the most serious examination of aging and masculinity you'll find in any movie. And it's still fun!

There's talk about a prequel 'Bubba Nosferatu', where Elvis from his 'comeback', karate-kicking days takes on vampires. Kewl!

Shajen
08-31-2005, 07:29 AM
I liked it.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/469418/2/Two_Thumbs_Up.jpg

2planka
08-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Ho-Tep is a fun flick. I've plugged it before and I'll do so again here: read Campbell's memoir "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor." It's amusing and give insight into the Campbell/Raimi ethos.

imported_The Vibesman
08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's talk about a prequel 'Bubba Nosferatu', where Elvis from his 'comeback', karate-kicking days takes on vampires. Kewl!

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to happen.

KingCon
08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Even Better--Watch Bubba Ho Tep with the Commentary on, Bruce Cambell, does commentary in character as ELVIS through out the whole movie.

Blarg
08-31-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does sound like it could be a lot of fun!