PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I just got spyware in a totally weird way

DavidC
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Looking for NES ROMs, went to a site. Yes, I know that WAREZ sites have spyware.

However, I didn't install anything intentionally... I just clicked on a regular link on an HTML page, and it popped up a new window and installed 180 search on my computer!

Anyways, considering that I haven't had a virus / spyware on my computer ever except for stuff transferred to me by friends and stuff bundled with peer-to-peer software, I figured I'd let you guys know that this indeed can happen.

I'm kinda embarassed after making fun of my sister for having her computer loaded with spyware.

I guess it's off to the computer tech forum. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

--Dave.

-Skeme-
08-30-2005, 10:53 PM
http://www.spywareinfo.com

Leo99
08-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Hijack This.

LethalRose
08-31-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude get adaware. Dont give some geeky kid money for popping a cd in your computer and clicking a few buttons.

DavidC
08-31-2005, 04:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude get adaware. Dont give some geeky kid money for popping a cd in your computer and clicking a few buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I'd update you guys.. the "point and click" method of clearing away this crap, both with Hijack This and with Adaware, has not worked.

This particular spyware it appears is pretty tough to remove, but possible... I'll keep at it and hopefully get it done before tomorrow, when I really do need my computer in top form. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

08-31-2005, 05:41 AM
Turn off scripts, active x, java, and you will never get any spy/adware from webpages.

Oh, and that's not at all a weird way to get that stuff... happens all the time.

Freakin
08-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Microsoft Antispyware. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Freakin

durron597
08-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Don't run HijackThis unless you are in safe mode.

If you are not in safe mode a high % of spyware will reinstall itself.

LetYouDown
08-31-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree more. Probably the most useful piece of software they've ever come out with. AdAware used to be my favorite for Spyware, but Microsoft's beta product is significantly better than any other product I've used.

Freakin
08-31-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't agree more. Probably the most useful piece of software they've ever come out with. AdAware used to be my favorite for Spyware, but Microsoft's beta product is significantly better than any other product I've used.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cause they didn't come out with it, they bought it and repackaged it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, whatever works

I'm just pissed that they started requiring valid XP keys.

Freakin

DonBaker
08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
why dont you use firefox?
im using it for the last 6 month.. and i have 0 spyware on my pc.

IndieMatty
08-31-2005, 12:03 PM
All those sites that have lyrics posted on them are filled with spyware as well. [censored] bastards.

Blarg
08-31-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why dont you use firefox?
im using it for the last 6 month.. and i have 0 spyware on my pc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Firefox and have gotten tons of spyware. It's not spyware proof. I've gotten it even though I use Ad Aware and Spyware Search & Destroy and Norton AV. There's always something new coming out that isn't in the definitions file the programs keep.

I use Microsoft Anti-Spyware too. Sooner or later, we all get hit, but there's no point not being extra careful.

As to turning off java, etc., some things won't work if you do. Like some Poker sites.