PDA

View Full Version : TPGK - Flush Draw -How's My Line?

4_2_it
08-30-2005, 10:29 PM
I have trouble getting maximum value out of a hand like this.

No real reads yet as I only have one table rotation. No one is playing like a total maniac.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($33.40)
MP ($32.70)
CO ($113.40)
Button ($171.85)
Hero ($99)
BB ($84.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2, UTG calls $2, MP folds, CO calls $2.

Flop: ($13) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls $5, UTG folds, CO folds.

I bet a little less half the pot...Too much??

Turn: ($23) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero...I think I way ahead and want to extract as much as possible.....What should I do? (Going to bed - Will post results in the morning)

yvesaint
08-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Too much? Too little - bet at least 3/4 pot, if not pot. You should be doing the same with your continuation bets.

4_2_it
08-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Even with the small stacks, I was hoping to keep them in and pot commit them on the turn. FPS?

xorbie
08-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Raise more PF (I'd make it $5) or just limp. Bet more on the flop. Why let 89 or TJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif draw relatively dead for cheap? In my experience, only the biggest fish will continue to draw on the turn, so try to get them to put some money in on the flop. Not to mention that nobody is folding QJ on this flop for $10.

yvesaint
08-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Raise more pre-flop.

Are your continuation bets usually this small? People suspect something if you raise pre-flop then bet small on the flop. What if the flop came with 2 diamonds instead of 2 spades, would you still bet less than 1/2 pot?

It's just usually a good rule of thumb to generally have your c-bets be the same in proportion to the pot size as with flops you hit.

4_2_it
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more pre-flop.

Are your continuation bets usually this small? People suspect something if you raise pre-flop then bet small on the flop. What if the flop came with 2 diamonds instead of 2 spades, would you still bet less than 1/2 pot?

It's just usually a good rule of thumb to generally have your c-bets be the same in proportion to the pot size as with flops you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have something here. Usually my continuation bets are between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. This was definitely on the low side.

Should I continue the big push on the turn (assuming I made the big continuation bet)?

4_2_it
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more PF (I'd make it $5) or just limp. Bet more on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the rationale to limp, but raise more OOP? Do I really want to get this hand heads-up OOP?

I hear you and Yves loud and clear on the weak continuation bets.

xorbie
08-30-2005, 11:04 PM
No, you don't want to raise. I'm saying if I *did* raise this, I would raise to $5 at least.

stu-unger
08-30-2005, 11:34 PM
limp pre-flop, bet 2/3+ pot on flop, bet 1/2+ pot on turn, make a decision ont the river and either VB or block.

4_2_it
08-31-2005, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. So I should limp pre-flop since I am OOP (calling a 3 or4x BB raise). Bet at least 1/2 pot on the flop, 2/3 pot on the turn and either value bet or block the river.

For those of you who are results oriented /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hero bets $10 on the turn, UTG calls $10

River J /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero bets $25
UTG calls $25

Hero shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif King High Flush

UTG shows 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Three of a kind 7's

djoyce003
08-31-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even with the small stacks, I was hoping to keep them in and pot commit them on the turn. FPS?

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly are you going to pot commit a guy with $84 by betting $5? If this is possible i must be playing incorrectly.

yvesaint
08-31-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How exactly are you going to pot commit a guy with $84 by betting $5? If this is possible i must be playing incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - you want to put more money in on the flop so you can get even MORE in on later streets.

4_2_it
08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Okay, I believe my thick head has finally processed this info. Don't be afraid to make pot sized with the best hand and draw.

Question, should I have played this similar to a flopped set? I have decent set-mining skills so maybe I need to adopt that mindset in these type of drawing to monster situations....Thoughts??

Again, thanks for the help....