PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't connect to poker sites

08-30-2005, 08:03 PM
My internet connection is very strong but whenver I try to connect to poker software, it says it can't connect. I have Windows XP. Suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

08-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Maybe your XP firewall is blocking it. Do a Start->Run and in the Run box type firewall.cpl. If you have SP2 this will popup the XP Firewall configuration, if its turned on then you can try and turn it off to see if that helps. If it is on you might check to see if 'Allow Exceptions' is turned on.

08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. I tried this and just got a message that said "windows can not find firewall.cpl" Any other ideas? I am pretty clueless when it comes to computers /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

08-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Seem's strange, you cannot connect to any poker sites? Only other thing I could think of is if you are using a proxy server. You can surf the web and download files but you cannot connect to poker sites?

ChipWrecked
08-31-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm not at home now so not on XP, but if you go to My Network Places, go to the Properties of your connection and click the 'advanced' tab, this will take you to the firewall settings (if I remember correctly). You might have to click the link there to get the listing of ports currently open.

I would guess the firewall has closed the ports you need. During the install of the poker client XP should have prompted you to allow this traffic through. Maybe try a reinstall?

08-31-2005, 10:24 AM
If firewall.cpl doesnt exist he does not have SP2.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not at home now so not on XP, but if you go to My Network Places, go to the Properties of your connection and click the 'advanced' tab, this will take you to the firewall settings (if I remember correctly). You might have to click the link there to get the listing of ports currently open.

I would guess the firewall has closed the ports you need. During the install of the poker client XP should have prompted you to allow this traffic through. Maybe try a reinstall?

[/ QUOTE ]

09-02-2005, 07:57 PM
I have the same problem today. I played for quite a while last night without any problem, but when I tried to connect to any poker sites this morning, my cable just wouldn't respond. I can also browse the web but just cannot connect to any poker sites. This is getting frustrating. Can anyone help me out please??
btw my computer runs window 2000 pro, I tried the advices above and it doesn't work.
Edit: Is it possible that my router blocked the connection? I am using linksys router and my other computer also cannot connect to any poker site.

PLOlover
09-02-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am using linksys router and my other computer also cannot connect to any poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, I also have linksys router and I couldn't connect to some websites until I enabled the vpn passthroughs, like IPSEC. It also doubled my maximum download speeds.

09-03-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am using linksys router and my other computer also cannot connect to any poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, I also have linksys router and I couldn't connect to some websites until I enabled the vpn passthroughs, like IPSEC. It also doubled my maximum download speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you enable those passthroughs?

09-03-2005, 11:07 PM
go to
http://192.168.1.1
user name blank and password admin
and change the setting under that page

09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
go to
http://192.168.1.1
user name blank and password admin
and change the setting under that page

[/ QUOTE ]
is this a website or sumtin u can find on the link system?

09-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Are you on a college network? If not who provides your connection? If it's a college network, then it's firewalled. Some sites, like vcpoker and pokerroom should work.

G.

09-06-2005, 03:36 PM
yea i am connected to the schools network but it will work once inn a while like late at nights and over the weekends when a lot of people leave to go home. but like n e time during the game i am pretty much out of luck. i either cant connect to the site at all, cant login, or cant connect to the tables. it is diff everytime i try it. could it be sumtin to do with a lot of people using the server or sumtin, if it is can i do n e thing about it or am i out of luck????