PDA

View Full Version : Poker and your health

CourtesyFlush
08-30-2005, 06:14 PM
To those who play full time or close to full time, do you find yourself under a lot of stress to perform well? Do you find that you have more stress since you have started playing poker full time, compared to when you had other jobs? If so, has anyone noticed higher blood pressure or other health related issues since going pro?

CF

nmt09
08-30-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm not a pro but I am stuck to my computer all day and that alone could cause health problems. My eyes are getting worse and I get back pains from sitting for long periods of time.

sammysusar
08-30-2005, 07:04 PM
essentially if you just beleive poker to be a series of decisions and you dont worru about short term results it should not be very stressful. plus it beats havimg a job. only basic problem is too much time alone behind a computer. but if you can find some other interesting stuff to do outside of poker should not be streesful.

Boris
08-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Almost everyone who plays any significant amount of poker will battle a weight problem at some time. That is probably the biggest threat to your health.

Felix_Nietsche
08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
I find I play better poker when I make time to exercise.

jquattro
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Make time for exercise and entertaining yourself.
Whether your a pro and play 8 hours a day or a semi pro playing a few hours a day, make time to get in even the simplest exercise. I go to my university and play ping pong or squash for a few hours.
On weekends go out and talk to people, get drunk, see a movie, play mini golf...just get out.

You get to live the great life of a poker player, and stay healthy and sociable.

JonPKibble
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Almost everyone who plays any significant amount of poker will battle a weight problem at some time. That is probably the biggest threat to your health.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about white collar desk jobs? Is this really much different?

Easy solution- have a daily exercise routine.

boedeker
09-02-2005, 10:04 PM
after losing 12k in 5 days i woke up in the middle of the night, and had a panic attack. a week later i had a panic attack in the middle of a movie in a theater (probably the scariest experience of my life, called an ambulance et al.)

i took a break for almost a month and now work out daily and am very careful about what and when i play and how it is affecting me mentally, even if i dont think it is on the surface.

if anyone else is having problems feel free to message me and i will help you as best i can.

housenuts
09-03-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to my university and play ping pong or squash for a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

what an excruciating workout!

ping pong is fun though

09-03-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I go to my university and play ping pong or squash for a few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

what an excruciating workout!

ping pong is fun though

[/ QUOTE ]

Squash (I actually play Racquetball) can be quite a workout if you have a capable opponent and play several matches.

ghcnoob
09-03-2005, 02:59 AM
Ping Pong is intense and is a good workout if you are an excellent player.

cianosheehan
09-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I dont get out during the day as much as I'd like to tbh, but other things rather than playing poker are keeping me in front of the computer. Although I do cycle a good bit, and go out a couple of nights a week with friends etc. My stress levels definately used to be a lot worse in the past. I think I have learned to calm down a bit...probably down to experience and taking a conservative approach to my BR and my LBR (Life Bankroll /images/graemlins/grin.gif ) Short term I could get in a right pisser, but things brush off quite quickly now. I remember when I could let a bad night scare me from the tables for 2 weeks or something. That attitude just wont do anymore and I think I have learnt how to coax myself back into a positive attitude.

In saying all this I do think it is a very stressful "job". And when there are stresses in other areas of your life, it does not sit well at all with your game.

Knowing your limits I suppose is the key - knowing when to stop yourself from having a bad reaction...being aware of how you are reacting and why.

roxtar
09-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Play more = smoke more.....
Don't know about anyone else but if I spend 8 hours in front of a computer I'll look down at an overflowing ashtray and 3 empty Marlboro boxes on my desk. That's why non smoking B&M cardrooms are the way to go for me.

Alex/Mugaaz
09-08-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't care what otheer people say, I find poker causes me stress. Working out is a benefit anyway, and it sure as hell helps relieve stress, and it gets you laid, what's not to like?