PDA

View Full Version : Question For 49ers Fans

IggyWH
08-30-2005, 05:57 PM
I was hoping someone could give me some info on Shawntae Spencer. I know he got some PT last year and started some games, but I never heard anything about him around here. How'd he look last year?

NFL.com has him listed as a starter on the depth chart for this upcoming season. Is this the case? How has he looked this preseason?

ucfryan
08-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Shawntae started most of last season because of Mike Rumphs forearm injury. Rumph was finally moved to FS this offseason, opening the right corner starting job, Spencer won it. Last season he played well for a rookie, and he definately has the athleticism/heart/focus to be successful to be a good corner in this league. I honestly haven't heard that much about him this preseason, I've been really busy with work the past couple of weeks, and most of my focus has been looking at our offensive line to see how it's improving. I know that he still holds the starting job, and has held off Willie Middlebrooks/Derrick Johnson to hang onto the starting job.

PITTM
08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
he's big, he's fast, he spent 3 years defending larry fitzgerald in practice. i went to training camp this year and i liked what i saw. i feel comfortable with our secondary of plummer, spencer, rumph and parrish. in fact, i think the 49ers have one of the most underrated defenses in the league(our linebackers are insane, especially peterson)...offense is another story.

rj

IggyWH
08-31-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he spent 3 years defending larry fitzgerald in practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering I went to high school with Spence and also went to Pitt, I know /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spence was one of the greatest success stories in the 2004 draft. He was the only Pitt senior not invited to the Combine. Then Pitt had its workout day and everyone came to see Fitz and Spence was more than noticed. How many other guys go from not being invited to the Combine to being drafted early 2nd round? I take it there's not many.

ucfryan
08-31-2005, 11:49 PM
I remember a lot of people had him projected to go at the end of the first as the draft approached. There were a ton of people that thought the Eagles were going to take him because they were going to need help after losing Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent.