PDA

View Full Version : 14 Loosing sessions... WTF

08-30-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not playing my A++ game... but I'm definately not a donkey. The last "streak" where I was running good I was positive $17,000... now I'm Negative $9,000.00 over the last 14 sessions of 4 or more hours.

I feel like I'm getting outdrawn on and/or loosing every coin flip in the book.

No horendous bad beats... but 30% outs should only come so often for my opponets...

Any suggestions? So far I've tried taking a week off, re-reading a Sklansky book or two, and staying away from online poker and concnetrating on my life game (I feel I have better reads here).

DRKEVDC
08-30-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Biatch sorry to be the grammar police but it is losing not loosing.

08-30-2005, 06:01 PM
No biggie... any real advice?

08-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Edit: live for life

UATrewqaz
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
What limits are you playing man? Are you serious about 17K and 9K up and down swings?

Those would drive me crazy....

You should have seen me last night, beet red in the face, literally shaking in rage as I lost a $20 pot (.5/1) with AA when my opponent spiked his 2nd pair on the river (QTo, way to hang in there with that pair of tens ass hat)

This is one reason I feel I'm doomed to play micro limits forever.

08-30-2005, 06:40 PM
I play the $300 - $500 max buy-in around LA... Great game usually 5 & 5 blinds.

I'm willing to go two buy-ins deep at any one session. This means one week of running bad cost about $4,000.00

08-30-2005, 06:41 PM
It's not so much the monetary value... I would be just like you if I was still playing 1 / 2 and went on a $500 losing streak.

It's the variance and fustration that is getting to me.

bobbyi
08-30-2005, 08:08 PM
My advice is to start playing your A++ game.

Eder
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
try use the "delete cookies" option in windows explorer...might help

DRKEVDC
08-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Why don't you post some typical hands so we can give you some advice.

KidPokerX
08-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Hey, copy over some hands you played this last week.

AliasMrJones
08-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I like tacos.

08-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Typical hand where I don't know if I'm running bad or playing bad.

Me- Tight aggressive on the button.

The "Pro" - excellent player that I'm familiar with... pretty straight up doesn't make many overcall or pre-flop mistakes.

Me A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Three limpers in $500 max N.L. game 5 & 5 blinds... I make it $60 to go ($25 in the pot)

Board 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Check to me... I bet $100

Small blind min-raises $200 (I know for a fact this does not represent a 10... I've played with him to often).

I re-raise to $400 ... he smooth calls... now I'm worried about pocket 66's only. More realistic I think he has JJ or QQ.

Turn 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

he checks... I move all in for my last $250... he calls with Pocket 8's for a turned boat.

I don't fill up... he wins.

Ironically... I was so positive on my read that he also had a big pair... if a Q, K, J comes on the turn or river and he moves all in... I probably fold

KidPokerX
08-31-2005, 02:08 PM
One question.
Why didn't you push him on the flop if you felt he had an overpair? I'm sure he would call with his 8's.
Seems like you gave him a free card to milk him with ... in that case you should not be upset that he hit one of his two outs.
Tough luck, keep your chin up.

Reef
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No biggie... any real advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

follow your /images/graemlins/heart.gif

subzero
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Drop down a limit and beat up on some fish to get your confidence back. Buy a dictionary with your winnings.

bernie
08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Over how much time are you up 17k and/or losing 9k? What time frame are we looking at?

You're still up 8k.

b

08-31-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drop down a limit and beat up on some fish to get your confidence back. Buy a dictionary with your winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a horrible speller... what can I say... I've never not had access to spell-check before.

The $9,000 swing came over the course of two months... Playing a minimum of four-four hour sessions a week.

08-31-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I'm getting outdrawn on and/or losing every coin flip in the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

[ QUOTE ]
No horendous bad beats... but 30% outs should only come so often for my opponets...

[/ QUOTE ]

~30% of the time. That's not never. And you don't count the times they fold after missing.

AliasMrJones
08-31-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Typical hand where I don't know if I'm running bad or playing bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on whether you don't know if you're playing bad or running bad when you have AA vs. 88 (4.5-1 favorite) and your opponent catches a 2 outer on the turn, and your other post about bet size, I think the answer is you just suck at poker.

Xtian11
08-31-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The $9,000 swing came over the course of two months... Playing a minimum of four-four hour sessions a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think it's you going bad more than it is you making mistakes/playing bad, the "short run" of luck (good or bad) can unfortunately last a loooong time.

DavidC
09-06-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What limits are you playing man? Are you serious about 17K and 9K up and down swings?

Those would drive me crazy....

You should have seen me last night, beet red in the face, literally shaking in rage as I lost a $20 pot (.5/1) with AA when my opponent spiked his 2nd pair on the river (QTo, way to hang in there with that pair of tens ass hat)

This is one reason I feel I'm doomed to play micro limits forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get pretty upset when I lose a big pot, but generally teh only way to build a massive pot is if two guys have monsters and a bunch of donks with shitty hands call along for two cold multiple times (in LHE). You own a lot of those bets, but you're not going to win every time, so you shouldn't get too upset over it.

The Final Solution to the problem of short-term variance is to keep playing more hands, and more after that, as long as you're playing +EV poker for the table conditions.

Congrats to the OP for getting to those stakes in NLHE: I've taken a few shots at NLHE but most of them end in bust. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Dave.

DavidC
09-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Wow, it's time for amateur advice for NLHE.

I'm curious: does everyone raise to $60 pf? Do you always raise to 60 pf?

See... When you call the $5 pf, the pot is $30, so if you want to raise the pot, you make it $35 to go, and there'll be $60 in the pot, right?

If you're always raising the size ofe the pot, then no one knows if you have aces. Depending on stack sizes, if you tell someone with your raise size what your hand is, they can call you with A LOT of hands.

So, if this is your standard raise, then I'm cool with it, but if not, then I'm not cool with it. (Boy, did that sound dumb.)

Although for image purposes I recommend raising to either $30 or $40 to go, just to make it easier for players to think about the number, doesn't make you look like a rocket scientist, easier to keep track of pot size, etc. etc.

In this hand, you didn't tell us how many players called the preflop raise. You didn't tell us the pot size on the flop either, so we can't guess at it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif