PDA

View Full Version : is a weak-tight personality good for No Limit?

KaneKungFu123
08-30-2005, 03:59 PM
people talk about how the best players are fearless and not scared, etc.

but ive never seen a LAG player that didnt tilt, and tilt badly at times. SR is your star and he obviously monkey tilts on occasion. ive played against players who i've considered to have great ability, but their tilt might make them a losing player.

there are plenty good weak-tight players that play scared (or extra cautious) that never tilt. they have the advantage: peace of mind. they dont have to struggle with discipline or tilt nearly as much as your fearless LAG.

id estimate that if i played my A game(stopped tilting), my winrate could be 50% higher.

mostly, i question if i couldnt make more $$$ 12 tabling playing very tight then i could trying to 'play poker'. whenever i try to 'play poker' it seems like im the one doing all the work, trying to balance everything while weak-tightie sits back waiting in between the LAGS to hit his hand when one of them pushes to hard.

yvesaint
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, all this comes to is that controlling tilt = more $$$. If you can control your emotions AND 'play poker', you'd make a lot more than 12-tabling weak-tight nut-peddling. Tilting is universal - if you're playing weak-tight instead of LAG, you're still suspectible to tilting - such as when your top set on the turn gets rivered by a flush draw or something. I don't think a weak-tight players have a different personality - I've seen many weak-tighties blow up after waiting for that big hand and getting stacked by a 2-outer. And I've seen many LAGs that rebuy and play exactly the same after a big beat, and use their image after that beat to win back twice what they lost.

In other words, I don't think being 'weak-tight' means you're less susceptible to tilt.

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 04:12 PM
I've definitely noticed that the more I open up and play very aggressive in shorter games, the greater my tendency to go on tilt. I never tilt real bad though, probably because I'm a nit at heart.

lapoker17
08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Totally table dependent on the weak tight stuff. I play semi weak tight sometimes if table conditions warrant.

The tilt/no tilt stuff seems a different topic altogether. I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.

KaneKungFu123
08-30-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can control your emotions AND 'play poker', you'd make a lot more than 12-tabling weak-tight nut-peddling.

[/ QUOTE ]

ive been counting on this since i began playing, but at the end of 40K hands, tilt always sticks its ugly head out.

trying to play 40hr/wk for a living, not titling is imposible IMO. half the time i dont even feel like playing poker. i just want the $.

if you are playing aggressive poker, there are just too many situations/places to [censored] up. a fast example is playing 4-handed, the percentage of time you fire second barrels.

im not suggesting being a total nut-peddler. im just talking about playing a safer/tighter game. i could name party 10/20 players if i wanted whose game i think fits in here.

im like 23/12 now. im talking about bringing it down to 18/7, playing 8.

KaneKungFu123
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've definitely noticed that the more I open up and play very aggressive in shorter games, the greater my tendency to go on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly what im talking about.

flawless_victory
08-30-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tilt/no tilt stuff seems a different topic altogether. I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.

[/ QUOTE ]i know plenty of rocks that can tilt bad, but i know some that almost never tilt. i dont know anyone who plays kinda LAG and doesnt tilt, including myself...
playing really fast can be very emotionally exhausting. when you are playing your Agame and thinking about 1000 things every hand its tough to stay focused when a series of bad things happen to you...

i like this post. a few months ago, when i was playing NL online almost everyday (as SH as possible), i thought alot about this... i actually tried to play some sessions with an extremely tight style... lasted like three hands every time ,lol.

Rocaix
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
Playing LAG is a very mentally exhausting style, especially if your multi-tabling for 30-40hrs a week. The more LAG you play the more tough decisions you face, more tough decisions = making more mistakes no matter how good you are. The variance can be extremely mentally draining and stressful, especially if you do not have a extremely large bankroll or some twisted disregard for the money. Which is why I try to not play much more than ~20hrs a week, so as to limit burnout and to always try to play my A game.

08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know LAGs who don't tilt and rocks who do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point is that as a LAG you 1) make a lot more plays that can put you on tilt (every once in a while, you're going to reraise a CO raiser who has AA) 2) can more easily easily screw up when on tilt because your plays are based on some subjective things that you can lie about ("He's just trying to make a move here."). Weak/tight players play a much more structured game, and are therefore less likely to regret their plays AND have a much easier time suppressing tilt by reverting to their structure.

KaneKungFu123
08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing LAG is a very mentally exhausting style, especially if your multi-tabling for 30-40hrs a week. The more LAG you play the more tough decisions you face, more tough decisions = making more mistakes no matter how good you are. The variance can be extremely mentally draining and stressful, especially if you do not have a extremely large bankroll or some twisted disregard for the money. Which is why I try to not play much more than ~20hrs a week, so as to limit burnout and to always try to play my A game.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post.

this is especially true sh'ed.

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 04:46 PM
but, I think tilt hurts you less the shorter you are playing. 3 handed, playing like a tilting maniac is often correct. the same style gets you killed 10 handed.

iceman5
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Some of you may know that I play what I call TAG, but what most of you would call a rock. Im at about 16/4.5 with a 4.0 aggression factor.

I find myself in alot less marginal situations in big pots than most of you guys probably do because I normally have a better starting hand. This may or may not be more profitable, but it definatley gives me less variance which I like.

I will admit though that I still tilt now and then. I was thinking about this driving to work today. I had my best month ever this month, but still, just off the top of my head I can think of about $4K that I lost in what I would call tilt losses.

At least 4-5 times I had a tough hand where I got raised and was thinking "damn it, I cant be beat again here" And as I was sliding the little slider thing all the way to the right, I knew it was a mistake but did it anyway.

I can only imagine how often I would do that if I played more LAG style and was in these marginal spots more often.

My goal for next month is to fold even more than normal.

Rotating Rabbit
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I think my winrate would be as much as 100% higher if I didnt have tilt issues, by far my biggest leak.

Kane why dont you try alternating 18/7 and 23/12 each for a week each at a time. I think that maybe if you just suddenly switch to 18/7 likely your winrate will go up but this could be that you're still feeding off the fact that players in your game are used to your 12% pfr, and that if you stick with the 7% the winrate will gradually drop then level out.

Other possibilities, why not 8-table and on the 4 tables on the LHS you play 23/12 and the RHS you play 18/7. That way you'll probably play the lag tables a lot better, and there's a good chance villians multitabling with you will fail to calibrate your pfr range correctly - lots of their stats will be screwed up, your pfr should average at 9.5%, which is never going to be right.

MTBlue
08-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I've tried weak-tight and tried lag and at the end of the day even with plays that look like serious tilt lag is much more profitable. Weak-tight is awesome if you want to make a little cash and not experience much variance but if the players adjust correctly you are not going make any money without the second nuts or higher and those type of hands don't happen very often. I don't know how many times that "I've been on tilt" and been able to stack someone off when I have second or third pair. People adjust very poorly to lag players. Usually I will hit runs of cards where I stack off 2-5 buy-ins but at the end of the day my BB/100 has doubled. I'll take that variance any day for twice the win rate. Oh and another thing its a hell of lot more fun.

fimbulwinter
08-30-2005, 05:45 PM
nits are greatly restricted in their game selection. lags are somewhat restricted intheir game selection. the very best games profit wise (HU 3 and 4 handed) must be played lag.

good playes with both modes get to play in the best games always, and therefore are best.

fim

Rococo
08-30-2005, 05:47 PM
If you find the holy grail here Kane, please let me know because I have the same problem. I play a lot of SH 5-10 and 10-20 and I play very LAG. My only observation is the following. I think that there is a close relationship for a lot of people between tilt and ego. This results in at least two problems. First, if you are 3-handed and you have dropped two buy-ins to inferior players, the temptation to try and "run the game over" can be overwhelming if you don't keep your ego in check.

Second, if you can't admit that other players are as good or better than you, you sometimes will find yourself in SH games without any weak players. In order to play SH effective, you have to be aggressive. Period. In a three or four handed game, if everyone is playing with optimal aggression, the opportunity for variance (and occasional big losses and tilt) is extremely high. Tilting against weak players is one thing. Tilting against strong players is something else entirely. I watched a regular high stakes player lose 8 buy-ins in an hour in a 25-50 game because he went on monkey tilt against players that really knew how to take advantage (i.e. players that weren't afraid to gamble).

I think that the answer in both cases is that you have to be willing to get up from the table the moment you start to lose control and you have to stay out of games that don't have at least one soft spot. SH no limit isn't a gunfight. You don't have to take on all comers.

CanKid
08-30-2005, 05:56 PM
I find when I try to change my style to weaker/tighter game, I just end up playing my normal aggressive lag game after a awhile, unless you're just referring to preflop only.

1800GAMBLER
08-30-2005, 06:35 PM
There is beauty in playing at the speed of a hurricane while being as calm as a breeze.

I think that is the final balance. People say there is no emotion in poker but people either start off aggressive or passive because of their personalities nature and never usually change it, fully, sure they get more aggressive or they bluff less but they never fully change. Yet there is obviously one style that is more profitable than another for a certain game. In the 15/30 and 30/60 limit i was def. more passive than the circle jerk midhigh crowd but at $2k nl i am def looser and more aggro than the multitablig reg crowd.

Voltron87
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
i find i play my best when i move up or take a shot at a level, because im cautious. that sense of caution which weakt tight people is always good, as long as it doesnt override everything else.

when i take shots in bigger games i play great, the amount of money is greater so im more cautious but i can still play good poker because after all i am there to make a score and by now i have learnt to gamble. when i 4 table my usual midlimit online game that caution is not in the back of my mindand i can get myself destacked with greater ease. kane i know what you mean but i suck at articulating things online.

i dont play particularly laggy, but when i try to i wonder how people can do it for a long time and for a large # of hands. especially online multitabling. its a ton of stress, and that might lead to more tilt for lag players.

phrosty
08-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Funny, it seems you guys are under the impression that there are only two ways to play:weak-tight or loose aggressive. Isn't the answer to this post the one I recieved so many times on my early posts-"It Depends"?
I am trying to learn to play more loose aggressive but I think the table, your opponents, flop texture, etc, etc etc. determine what style will be most profitable. I'm a long way from this ability, but ideally I'd like to play all styles along the spectrum from tight to loose and passive to aggressive equally well, mixing them up and applying them to the situation at hand

creedofhubris
08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

whenever i try to 'play poker' it seems like im the one doing all the work, trying to balance everything while weak-tightie sits back waiting in between the LAGS to hit his hand when one of them pushes to hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

LAGs obviously make more on the high end, but there's little risk to a nitty style of play. Variance reduction.

The not going on tilt is a bonus: since your hands tend to be stronger when the money goes in, you don't get sucked out on as much (lot easier to catch up to a LAG's bottom 2 than to catch up to a nit's set/straight), and since you don't make big bluffs, people don't call you down thin and beat you. Not as many beats = not as much tilt.

BobboFitos
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you find the holy grail here Kane, please let me know because I have the same problem. I play a lot of SH 5-10 and 10-20 and I play very LAG. My only observation is the following. I think that there is a close relationship for a lot of people between tilt and ego. This results in at least two problems. First, if you are 3-handed and you have dropped two buy-ins to inferior players, the temptation to try and "run the game over" can be overwhelming if you don't keep your ego in check.

Second, if you can't admit that other players are as good or better than you, you sometimes will find yourself in SH games without any weak players. In order to play SH effective, you have to be aggressive. Period. In a three or four handed game, if everyone is playing with optimal aggression, the opportunity for variance (and occasional big losses and tilt) is extremely high. Tilting against weak players is one thing. Tilting against strong players is something else entirely. I watched a regular high stakes player lose 8 buy-ins in an hour in a 25-50 game because he went on monkey tilt against players that really knew how to take advantage (i.e. players that weren't afraid to gamble).

I think that the answer in both cases is that you have to be willing to get up from the table the moment you start to lose control and you have to stay out of games that don't have at least one soft spot. SH no limit isn't a gunfight. You don't have to take on all comers.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is an excellent post rococo

Jason Strasser
08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Kane,

I play my A game much more frequently when I play short sessions. I tend to try to play 2-3 hours max these days when I'm really gearing up in the 10-20. It has also helped my mental health. I also dont really keep track if I'm up or down during a session--or try at least. When I get stacked I just reload and plow on.

The thing that is also important is that for SR, his tilting is part of an overall image which makes him very successful. I've seen others like Buddy go on monkeytilt, and although its obviously short term EV you will often see stuff and wonder 'so is xxx on tilt now?' and I feel like the best take advantage of this. SR's tilt may not cost him as much as you think.

-Jason

kagame
08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
isnt TAG a cheap deodorant body spray?

sillyarms
08-31-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im like 23/12 now. im talking about bringing it down to 18/7

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not try 18/12?

hit_the_set
08-31-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny, it seems you guys are under the impression that there are only two ways to play:weak-tight or loose aggressive. Isn't the answer to this post the one I recieved so many times on my early posts-"It Depends"?
I am trying to learn to play more loose aggressive but I think the table, your opponents, flop texture, etc, etc etc. determine what style will be most profitable. I'm a long way from this ability, but ideally I'd like to play all styles along the spectrum from tight to loose and passive to aggressive equally well, mixing them up and applying them to the situation at hand

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you manage to read the players on the table when you are multitabling?. I mean its tough to have in-game reads on players when you are playing more than 2 tables. You make one bad call and that can tilt you on your other tables also. I never try to play more than 2 tables. Its a strategy thats worked for me and leads to less tilty play.

I tilt when I play more than 3 tables. If you restrict yourselves to two tables, you can still keep your LAG style and not tilt.

KaneKungFu123
08-31-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think my winrate would be as much as 100% higher if I didnt have tilt issues, by far my biggest leak.

Kane why dont you try alternating 18/7 and 23/12 each for a week each at a time. I think that maybe if you just suddenly switch to 18/7 likely your winrate will go up but this could be that you're still feeding off the fact that players in your game are used to your 12% pfr, and that if you stick with the 7% the winrate will gradually drop then level out.

Other possibilities, why not 8-table and on the 4 tables on the LHS you play 23/12 and the RHS you play 18/7. That way you'll probably play the lag tables a lot better, and there's a good chance villians multitabling with you will fail to calibrate your pfr range correctly - lots of their stats will be screwed up, your pfr should average at 9.5%, which is never going to be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great post, so is roccos and a few others.

Lucky
08-31-2005, 02:42 AM
As for the super high NL, that's where the nits absolutely get blown out. It 4 handed, and the spirits and Iveys just roll over the table, gambling like crazy with the rich fishy types and just flat muscling the nits. I think when it gets below 5 handed, the lags really take over.

punter11235
08-31-2005, 06:35 AM
I am usually quite laggy. Today I played my first very tight session with a lot of folding to raises etc (18.5/9/3.5) and it was my biggest session ever. I didnt tilt one single hand and I harvested from my tilting opponents.
Fooled by randomness or not, now I believe that weak tight is right...

MTBlue
08-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Punter if your playing against the same opponents as you did the day before then they will still be playing against the old punter. It's a constant move in between the two styles that is profitable. Three weeks from now you will be claiming lag is right b/c you played lag for you first session in forever and cleaned up.

barongreenback
08-31-2005, 07:37 AM
On this forum terms like weak-tight, rock, lag etc. are all used emotively and this must hinder a rational analysis of playing styles.

I sure that understanding the effects of different styles on yourself and others is a key question determining long term success which the majority of posters (inc. myself) have not experienced. I'm not using 'long term' in its usual 50k hands/100k hands/whatever defeats variance, sense. In the true long term, small changes in win rate may not be the main factor. Consider the potential damage of overconfidence and boredom caused by winning consistently for 5 or 10 years.

I imagine that many loooonng term winners have seen players 'better' than themselves come and go.

James

2ndGoat
08-31-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
especially if your multi-tabling for 30-40hrs a week

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no freaking clue how any of you do this at no limit tables. I can manage at limit, but the burnout/tilt from multi-tabling no limit was a big reason why I focused completely on limit (and of course the fact that it used to be hard to find a NL game with bigger than 1/2 blinds online, and before that, finding any NL game at all). Now I wish I had kept up with the no limit side of things but I must admit I'm puzzled in games where I say "bet" and they ask "how much?"

2nd

Noo Yawk
08-31-2005, 09:02 AM
"people talk about how the best players are fearless and not scared, etc."

The best players/leaders/people are level headed, especially when things aren't going as planned.

"but ive never seen a LAG player that didnt tilt, and tilt badly at times."

Most LAG's that tilt do so because they put themselves in situations they didn't think through properly. There are plenty of tough situations in poker that came up naturally. Why the hell some people force the issue, I'll never understand.

"there are plenty good weak-tight players that play scared (or extra cautious) that never tilt."

They also never move too far forward. Nothing wrong with that, if it's your goal.

"id estimate that if i played my A game(stopped tilting), my winrate could be 50% higher."

Based on your posts, If you learned to let trouble come to you, as it naturally will, and stayed calm enough to make rational decisions, I'd say your're win rate could be more than 50% higher.

rwanger
08-31-2005, 09:13 AM
No one seems to have mentioned this yet, and maybe it's obvious...but can you really play effective LAG at so many tables? It seems to me that it would be easy to play tight at many tables simultaneously beause you don't need a read on your opponents. When you're LAGGing it up, you need to be paying attention to how people are playing, and how they view you.

Although I suppose if you could play optimal LAG at 3 tables, and optimal tight at 6 tables...the tight would make more money, right?

bkholdem
08-31-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of you may know that I play what I call TAG, but what most of you would call a rock. Im at about 16/4.5 with a 4.0 aggression factor.

I find myself in alot less marginal situations in big pots than most of you guys probably do because I normally have a better starting hand. This may or may not be more profitable, but it definatley gives me less variance which I like.

I will admit though that I still tilt now and then. I was thinking about this driving to work today. I had my best month ever this month, but still, just off the top of my head I can think of about $4K that I lost in what I would call tilt losses.

At least 4-5 times I had a tough hand where I got raised and was thinking "damn it, I cant be beat again here" And as I was sliding the little slider thing all the way to the right, I knew it was a mistake but did it anyway.

I can only imagine how often I would do that if I played more LAG style and was in these marginal spots more often.

My goal for next month is to fold even more than normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise an interesting point. I play tighter than you (13/3.8 with a 3.1 agression) and I suspect the tighter you play the tougher it is to take when you find yourself in a series of "damn it, I can't be beat AGAIN" situations. There is a balance with increasing tables though.

bkholdem
08-31-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No one seems to have mentioned this yet, and maybe it's obvious...but can you really play effective LAG at so many tables? It seems to me that it would be easy to play tight at many tables simultaneously beause you don't need a read on your opponents. When you're LAGGing it up, you need to be paying attention to how people are playing, and how they view you.

Although I suppose if you could play optimal LAG at 3 tables, and optimal tight at 6 tables...the tight would make more money, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine that one can play a lot more than 6 tables weak-tight, rockish. I just started playing 5 (up from 4) on a laptop with significant overlap (seeing only the bottom 2 inches of the 3rd table, 2 inches of 1/2 of the bottom of the 4th, and 1/2 inch of the side of the fifth) . Playing 8 on 2 screens with no overlap must be easier than that, with 12 on 3 screens, no overlap, not too far behind.

IHateCats
08-31-2005, 12:24 PM
Firstly, you're letting ego get in the way of analyzing your opponents, most of the regular good tight players at the 10/20 Party games (which from what I can tell is your regular game) aren’t weak/tight, their post flop aggression #'s are actually pretty high so tight/aggressive is more accurate and you'll play better against them if think about them that way. Failing to admit your opponent is skilled but plays a different style than you do is foolish. Admit that your TAG opponents have their own strengths and know what they are and where those stengths have the most value (ie 10 handed tables). Being fearless is one thing, foolishly ignoring your opponents style & likley holdings at a 10 handed table is another altogether. As for tilting, it’s a huge weakness whether it’s you or even Spirit Rock, a lot of Spirit Rock’s supposed tilting seems to simply be him using his enormous bankroll against an under bankrolled opponent to break him via variance HU, if you are tilting in 3-5 handed games, I'm sure it's killing your winrate.

TAG’s are very effective at taking money off of the weaker players and their style allows them to play a large # of tables. NL is just as much about not making big mistakes as it is about making plays and it's a lot easier to avoid making big mistakes with the tight/aggressive style even 4-8 tabling than it is playing LAG. I’ve an enormous # of hands in PT and frankly the 4 of the top 5 players who’ve taken the most out of the Party full ring games since they’ve opened up 5/10 NL and 10/20 NL are all TAG’s who combine a decent to good winrate with playing a ton of hands. It works and those players aren’t there for your respect, they are there for the $ and some of them are very good at getting it. Could you make more emulating their strategy? Possibly but one thing that characterizes successful TAG players is they rarely tilt and have solid control, you may not be able to do this, many LAG's can't. You’re probably better off focusing on your strengths, I have absolutely no doubts that you are a fearsome short handed player when you play your A game and that can be a huge $ maker if you do it well and fix your leaks.

Do you really focus on game selection or do you let your ego tell you that you can run over every game? As far as I can tell game selection and changing gears are the most underrated skills in this forum but both can make a huge difference in winrate. The regular TAGs on Party 10/20 are not going to be run over by a known LAG, they are simply too experienced and trying to run over a game with 2-3 tough TAG’s at a 10 handed table is a truly bad strategy, especially if they have position on you or you aren’t all deep stacked with several times the buyin. Do you leave a short handed game that’s turned into a full ring game that has several known good players and no easily identifiable fish? Do you not sit down in a seat because after looking at the players ahead and behind your position, you decide it’s a crappy seat even though it might be a good table? You’re likely better off playing the 9 handed sites if LAG is your only gear and you don’t focus on 6 max or short handed 10/20 party games and have the discipline to keep looking for better games when they fill up.

Lucky
08-31-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, you're letting ego get in the way of analyzing your opponents, most of the regular good tight players at the 10/20 Party games (which from what I can tell is your regular game) aren’t weak/tight, their post flop aggression #'s are actually pretty high so tight/aggressive is more accurate and you'll play better against them if think about them that way. Failing to admit your opponent is skilled but plays a different style than you do is foolish. Admit that your TAG opponents have their own strengths and know what they are and where those stengths have the most value (ie 10 handed tables). Being fearless is one thing, foolishly ignoring your opponents style & likley holdings at a 10 handed table is another altogether. As for tilting, it’s a huge weakness whether it’s you or even Spirit Rock, a lot of Spirit Rock’s supposed tilting seems to simply be him using his enormous bankroll against an under bankrolled opponent to break him via variance HU, if you are tilting in 3-5 handed games, I'm sure it's killing your winrate.

TAG’s are very effective at taking money off of the weaker players and their style allows them to play a large # of tables. NL is just as much about not making big mistakes as it is about making plays and it's a lot easier to avoid making big mistakes with the tight/aggressive style even 4-8 tabling than it is playing LAG. I’ve an enormous # of hands in PT and frankly the 4 of the top 5 players who’ve taken the most out of the Party full ring games since they’ve opened up 5/10 NL and 10/20 NL are all TAG’s who combine a decent to good winrate with playing a ton of hands. It works and those players aren’t there for your respect, they are there for the $ and some of them are very good at getting it. Could you make more emulating their strategy? Possibly but one thing that characterizes successful TAG players is they rarely tilt and have solid control, you may not be able to do this, many LAG's can't. You’re probably better off focusing on your strengths, I have absolutely no doubts that you are a fearsome short handed player when you play your A game and that can be a huge $ maker if you do it well and fix your leaks.

Do you really focus on game selection or do you let your ego tell you that you can run over every game? As far as I can tell game selection and changing gears are the most underrated skills in this forum but both can make a huge difference in winrate. The regular TAGs on Party 10/20 are not going to be run over by a known LAG, they are simply too experienced and trying to run over a game with 2-3 tough TAG’s at a 10 handed table is a truly bad strategy, especially if they have position on you or you aren’t all deep stacked with several times the buyin. Do you leave a short handed game that’s turned into a full ring game that has several known good players and no easily identifiable fish? Do you not sit down in a seat because after looking at the players ahead and behind your position, you decide it’s a crappy seat even though it might be a good table? You’re likely better off playing the 9 handed sites if LAG is your only gear and you don’t focus on 6 max or short handed 10/20 party games and have the discipline to keep looking for better games when they fill up.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres your answer

KaneKungFu123
09-01-2005, 03:05 AM
good post.

i really should have specified though that i was talking, for the most part, about playing sh'ed. 90% of my tilt comes from getting outdrawn sh'ed.

turnipmonster
09-01-2005, 10:43 AM
interesting, I'm the opposite. most of the times I tilt it's from having to make a lot of tough folds and/or losing a bunch of medium pots in a row. I then get paranoid, think everyone is constantly bluffing me and resteal and otherwise overadjust.

Your Mom
09-01-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
interesting, I'm the opposite. most of the times I tilt it's from having to make a lot of tough folds and/or losing a bunch of medium pots in a row. I then get paranoid, think everyone is constantly bluffing me and resteal and otherwise overadjust.

[/ QUOTE ]

me 2, same thing in limit.

IHateCats
09-05-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm the same actually as turnip on this, it's making 4-5 tough but seemingly correct laydown's of good but not great hands are what is most likely to make me give the gf's cat a good kicking and tilt a bit, not being outdrawn. Being outdrawn raises my blood pressure and probably life expectancy but doesn't affect my play very much.