PDA

View Full Version : Ipod minis delicate?

RacersEdge
08-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I just dropped my mini. Soon after, it stopped working. Should I be surpised? Is a protective case worth it?

DemonDeac
08-30-2005, 03:56 PM
ive dropped mine twice and it still works

u might wanna try resetting it. its in the manual in how to do it

RacersEdge
08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
I just took it to the Apple store - they couldn't revive it and gave me a new one since I just bought it 2 weeks ago. It could have been a weird sequence - I dropped it and I think it was still responding, but then put it into my ipod stereo, and it froze. I think I am going to get a case though.

stabn
08-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I drop mine about once a day and it works fine.

unlucky513
08-30-2005, 07:25 PM
my buddy is on his 5th ipod in less than a year... i guess he just takes them back to the store and they keep giving him new ones. one time he spilled syrup on his wheel and took it back and they gave him a new one...

of course he didn't tell them about the syrup.

08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, haven't dropped it yet. I baby the damn thing, actually. I have heard that they are susceptible to shock, and that the ipod shuffle is the only one that isn't susceptible to shock because it uses a different method of storage. -I don't know the technical jargon for any of this, sorry. But short answer, yes, they are delicate. Everyone I know who has one has a protective cover for it.

Drew16
08-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Ive dropped mine on the treadmill a few times and had it shoot out in the floor and it didnt even stop playing the song.

TheBlueMonster
08-31-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I be surpised? Is a protective case worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]
No and yes. Trust me, I've broken 2 ipods /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PoBoy321
08-31-2005, 12:51 AM
I had a real 9-5 job over the summer where I had to wear a suit, but I always had my ipod with me whenever I took the bus to or from work. One day, I had my ipod in my jacket, put my jacket on a little fast and WHOOSH, it went flying across the room and hit a wall. It's a little banged a bruised but still works fine. Try resetting it by pressing the main button and play/pause at the same time for like 10 seconds.

Voltron87
08-31-2005, 01:00 AM
i bought a mini about last december. after about 3 months it crapped out and the battery was shot. i can tell its defective, i was just lazy and it had enough charge fo rme ot use. if i should up at the ipod store and complain, what are my chances of a replacement? ive got way more music than i used to and was planning on buying a regular 60 gig one soon anyway, but if i can get a replacement theres no reason not to.

GuyOnTilt
08-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Why do you think a protective case would've helped you?

GoT

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, haven't dropped it yet. I baby the damn thing, actually. I have heard that they are susceptible to shock, and that the ipod shuffle is the only one that isn't susceptible to shock because it uses a different method of storage. -I don't know the technical jargon for any of this, sorry. But short answer, yes, they are delicate. Everyone I know who has one has a protective cover for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the shuffle uses flash ram, unlike all other iPods which use a disk drive. The shuffle is shock and skip free because it has no mechanical moving parts that can be jarred or damaged by shock. I've had a 20GB iPod and currently own a mini and a shuffle. I always get a protective case, but only use it on the shuffle if I'm biking or hiking at a time when it might rain.

The shuffle protective case was a disappointment. It's the one with the orange seal around the outside. None of my headphones fit with it directly. The male connector has to be long enough to go through the case and into the shuffle itself. To remedy this apple provided a separate little extender chord that goes into the jack and you plug the headphones into it. It's a pain IMHO.

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think a protective case would've helped you?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

The rubber seal on the inside of most cases does protect the player from some of the shock. They also have a membrain covering the buttons while still allowing you to use them. This protects the button mechanism from being chipped or jammed if it takes a direct hit.

RacersEdge
08-31-2005, 10:55 AM
You have a 1 year warranty right?

Voltron87
08-31-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have a 1 year warranty right?

[/ QUOTE ]

if that comes standard, yes, but if i have a piece of paper saying so it is long gone. basically i just have to ipod and no way to prove how old it is or that i have the warranty.

RacersEdge
08-31-2005, 11:20 AM
The Apple store can look up your serial number and see when you bought it.

Voltron87
08-31-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Apple store can look up your serial number and see when you bought it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats what i was hoping. cool.