PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up Tourney

Jonny5
08-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Playing in my first Live Heads up Tourney. 16 person bracket tourney. Most of the people there don't have the much experience with poker at all. What are some thoughts on a strategy going into this?

Starting Chips: 2000 (non-cumulative)
Blind Levels every 15 minutes: 25-50, 50-100, 100-200, 200-400, 400-800

MarkD
08-30-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are some thoughts on a strategy going into this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop good.

Jonny5
08-30-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop good.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response will be based on what What level of thinking you are using.

1st level (purely humour ie: Get good hands and you'll win

Response
"Thanks, I'll try that"

2nd level thinking,
"Based on the quick blind structure, you will have to play some more hands early, see lots of flops and try to get money in quick...ie Flop Good.

Response
"Should I create a tight image in the first level and then start stealing in the 2nd?" Or just see a lot of flops and hope to hit something big against someone who doesn't realize they are beat."

Poldi
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Your question is way too general.

Jonny5
08-30-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your question is way too general.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason it is general is to not limit the responses to a particular area. If you have ANY advice into heads up play, especially live, especially against bad players, and especially with a quickly escalating blind structure, please pass it on.

MarkD
08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Flop good.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response will be based on what What level of thinking you are using.

1st level (purely humour ie: Get good hands and you'll win

Response
"Thanks, I'll try that"

2nd level thinking,
"Based on the quick blind structure, you will have to play some more hands early, see lots of flops and try to get money in quick...ie Flop Good.

Response
"Should I create a tight image in the first level and then start stealing in the 2nd?" Or just see a lot of flops and hope to hit something big against someone who doesn't realize they are beat."

[/ QUOTE ]

My response was meant in both ways so take it however you like.

This is what I would do though since I'm going to assume that it's me playing and that I am much better than the guys you are playing against. I have no idea if you are good or if you suck though. (BTW, this thread would be better in the STT forum I think).

Anyways, in the first round I would be seeing a lot of cheap flops and hoping to get my opponent to make mistakes post-flop. If I have a big hand though I'm going to play fast pre-flop cause these guys suck and I'll get all of his money.

My overall strategy would be to see lots of flops int eh first round and win all of his chips there so if I flop good I would play it strongly because these guys will want to call you and you should take advantage of that.

Jonny5
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks Mark.. that is the way I was leaning. From the one other time I played with these guys in a 2 table tournament, they were pretty weak. I would consider myself to be one of the 2 best players. I'm okay at headsup, but I prefer to play small pots and outplay them , rather than get it over quick...and risk losing. However with the quick blinds, I was asking for opinions.

deception5
08-30-2005, 04:08 PM
http://www.neverwinpoker.com/phpnuke/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=786