PDA

View Full Version : SSHE is right - you do remember the dramatic losses

08-30-2005, 02:32 PM
This just happened to me - I don't have the hand history, but basically, I had JJ - raised preflop then called a 3 bet. Flop is KQ4r - one bet to me in last position so I call. Turn is a K - bet and raised to me so I fold - correctly assuming that one or both had trips (both) - meaning that my only out is a J. River is a J.

Now, I had a very successful session - about 1 hour and up about 10BB - yet this is the only hand that sticks in my memory. I feel that I played it more or less correctly, folding when I had a 23-1 chance to win.

So I am not upset about my play or anything like that. And yet, this is the hand I remember.

dark_horse
08-30-2005, 03:05 PM
you played it correctly. that's all that matters. get over it and move on.

DCWGaming
08-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I never remember my big losses... everything just blurs together.

But i also dont play many tournaments or outside of my bankroll.

If I cashed 10k into the high NL UB tables and lost it to a 2 outer, I'd sure as hell remember that. But as long as i'm just playing 5/10 there really isnt any single bad beat that could be significant enough to stay in my memory. Sure i could lose to a 1 outer (which i did recently) and keep that in the back of my mind for a couple weeks, but it slowly fades...

So basically...dont play with money you care too much about and you wont have the problem.

davet
08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Oddly enough, you will only remember the hands that sting the most, and a few that you know you just played brilliantly, and the fewer that you played incorectly, but managed to pull it off anyway. Th lines between the last two can be blurry.

There's a great line in SSHE. "Don't worry about the results, just play good poker, and the money will take care of itself."

08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
I don't play with money I can't afford to lose - I am still a relative newbie though - so its definitely something I have to learn to play through.

What I CAN say is that it did not put me on tilt - that is a huge change - rather than getting angry about the situation, I just got a little smile on my face.

But I still remembered the hand.

Niediam
08-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I disagree. I think the flop play is clearly raise or fold based upon your reads of villian. Calling = meh.

yellowjack
08-30-2005, 10:56 PM
I think you can consciously shift your attention from a big hand to the previous hand (in between hands) and see if you should have done anything differently. This way you remember bits of each hand where you should have played differently, and that one big hand if your brain can fit it.

threeonefour
08-30-2005, 11:06 PM
i fold that flop every time in that spot. there is a three bettor preflop then a bet and a call on the flop... if you are ahead, its probably not by much, and if you are behind you are getting slaughtered

OrianasDaad
08-31-2005, 12:55 AM
Raise/fold that flop to define your hand.

Pay less attention to what you would have had, and spend more time thinking about what your opponents have, how they played what they have, and thinking about what they are thinking.

I don't remember the last time I folded a hand that would have been a winner - because I'm too focused on what other people have.

Tiltblocker is a useful program to help you along in beginning to think less about your stack and more about the process.

xniNja
08-31-2005, 08:05 AM
That's not a dramatic loss. That's a correct play (assuming you had folded on the flop unless you thought they were bluffing), and not much (if at all) different than folding 27 preflop and seeing a flop of 277. Trust me, if you play any reasonable amount of poker you'll forget about it in a week.

punter11235
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I usually forget about bad beats very fast. What I remember from my today session (which was positive but nothing special) is big suckout against good player... I usually remember those, they are so rare for winning players /images/graemlins/wink.gif (I play NL)

Best wishes

BarronVangorToth
09-01-2005, 06:30 PM
One of the guys above is right, after a while, it all can blend together. Online is great because you can go back and look up anything ... for live games, I have to trust my handy Columbo pimp notebook to review my play.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com