PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

2Fast2Furious
08-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm new to Party Poker and played a bunch of $5 single-table tournies last night and didn't finish in money in any. I'm not a good player by any means, but have read a bunch of books (SuperSyster (well, some of it), Hellmuth's book and HOH) and feel I at least know the basic strategy and how and what I should be playing. The table was incredibly loose with eveyone playing anything from 4-2o to Q-3 on a regular basis and I didn't fare too well.

Am wondering is it a bit easier to play (and learn) at a little higher dollar level where there aren't quite so many maniacs or is it just a case of having to grind it out over multiple tourneys to eventually finish in the money? Thx.

citanul
08-30-2005, 02:20 PM
you learn different things when you learn to beat the different limits.

there are important lessons about how to play sngs that you can learn at the lowest stakes games. this isn't to say you can't learn those same lessons at higher stakes games, nor that there aren't more lessons that can't be learned at the lowest stakes games, just taht there's plenty of stuff to learn from very low stakes games. paramount to the things you can learn from such games are both a) why someone shows up about once every 2 days and asks the question you did and b) why everyone smiles to themselves a little bit when they see that person do it.

learning to beat very loose, very bad players is a huge concern in all forms of poker. in sngs, you will learn some key things like how to get paid off, what chances to take when, on the macro scale, etc, from playing the lowest stakes games.

sometimes they'll donkey all over you for a few games in a row, and they'll go "HEE HAW" the whole time. but usually not.

citanul

fivecube
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I thought the same thing until I read the FAQs strategy section. Read it, follow it, and you will be fine.

ZeroPointMachine
08-30-2005, 02:29 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1918735&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Read Aleo's guide.
Stick with the 5's until you start winning a few. Then move to the 10's to avoid the higher rake.

Read the forum. Post hands. Make Money. Move up a level. Rinse and Repeat.

citanul
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the same thing until I read the FAQs strategy section. Read it, follow it, and you will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

the FAQ has a strategy section?

citanul

2Fast2Furious
08-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. Great advice.

Have to say it was just plain weird going into my "shell" and playing very tight and then getting bad beats when you have hands like A-Q suited, raise 5x BB in late position and get like 5 callers and lose to 2 pair 8s and 3s!!! Stuff like this happened several times.

Also, felt like my ability to bluff on even a limited basis even after establishing a tight image was like ZERO. Guys would call me down with almost anything.

fivecube
08-30-2005, 03:33 PM
my bad... favorite threads read the favorite threads strategy

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=191 8735&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

citanul
08-30-2005, 03:36 PM
below the posting composition box there are a bunch of tools. amongst those tools is one for making URLs that don't look shitey.

citanul

ps: i know what thread you were talking about, i was just being silly.