PDA

View Full Version : Correct amount of betting?

08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Should I have raised the river, or slow down and just call.

Villian is unknown but the last two hands he has folded to my turn bets (I had good hands), so he might think I have been bluffing at him.

I feel this is one of those tricky situations where one can lose value bets.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero ...

thejameser
08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
it is also a tricky situation where one can lose extra bets as well. very opponent-dependent line.

08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah when he caps the turn I am very worried. A reasonable opponent is likely not capping the turn with a hand you beat. I c/c the river.

chief444
08-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I'd probably bet/call the river. But since you checked and he bet, I'd just call.

callmedonnie
08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
That cap is annoying and I agree w/ c/c.

08-30-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is also a tricky situation where one can lose extra bets as well. very opponent-dependent line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my question is whether I will lose more by betting or by not betting. Or does it matter?

08-30-2005, 12:27 PM
I think it is dependent on read of the opponent. If he is an idiot he is more likely to have a worse two pair. If he is not an idiot he is more likely to have you beat.

bozlax
08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those situations where one can lose bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/grin.gif

For some reason I've got an image of an ace and a nine of spades doing the jitterbug in my head...I don't know why that would be.

I check-call, here, only calling for sanity's sake.

krimson
08-30-2005, 12:53 PM
I would c/c, I don't think he is going to cap the turn without thinking he has the best hand, so I almost 100% expect him to bet the river when checked to. Therefore, b/c is just losing us an extra bet when behind and not gaining any value when ahead.

I don't think you can profitably raise this any further.

chief444
08-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Why do you think the opponent capping the turn with something like K5 or K2 makes him an idiot?

08-30-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the opponent capping the turn with something like K5 or K2 makes him an idiot?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thought process behind the question

08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Capping with K2 or K5 probably does not necessarily qualify someone as an idiot. Against a lot of opponents I probably cap those hands to make sure I get an extra bet in without fear of a reraise. However, someone who overvalues their hands, idiot might be to strong of a word, is much more likely to be raising here with hands worse than yours including k5, k2, ak, and 92. I don't think a reasonable opponent is raising a river lead with a worse hand. Personally I wouldn't. Absent reads I think I'm c/c the river, against an opponent that seems to overvalue their hands I likely lead the river, but I think it's pretty close either way.