PDA

View Full Version : Wow. I just had a major freak out.

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Things are tightening up here at work with outside communication. We had to remove all messaging programs by today.

All of a sudden ALL of my outside communication was diabled.

No AIM Express.

No Gmail.

No logging in to 2+2.

Only approved corporate email and IM.

I just got really confused, mad, sad all in a span of 5 minutes. It just allowed me back. I guess they shut down a port for a while.

At one point, I wondered at what point would the absense of outside socializing during work hours make me so miserable that I would quit. I honestly couldn't see myself lasting more then a month.

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Yea. We can use IMs, but only if they install some kind of tracking software on our terminal. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 10:53 AM
I honestly think less work would be done, and you would become the Freecell superstar.

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I honestly think less work would be done, and you would become the Freecell superstar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freecell and solitaire were uninstalled years ago man. I'd probably give the pro-poker playing thing a shot as I tried to find a job I don't need to be distracted with friends and fun convos in order to stomach.

Soul Daddy
08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Our IT department basically shut down internet access during the most recent virus scare. We couldn't even access Google. It was brutal. The only website I could find that wasn't blocked was 2+2. It's like someone in IT was looking out for me. Or it was a trap and I'm getting fired very soon.

xadrez
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I feel you, a week or two ago all internet shut down periorically and the entire office was on the verge of massing into a spontaneous mob of angry villagers armed with pitchforks and torches.

tek
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Two words:

wireless laptop /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words:

[/ QUOTE ]

We're actually not allowed to bring our own laptops in. We used to but the NYSE didn't like it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Two words:

[/ QUOTE ]

Eventually someone would walk in my office and get a bit suspicious. We do have an outside wireless connection on our floor. I have actually accessed it at Federal Hall.

IndieMatty
08-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Those wacky financial institutions.

CCass
08-30-2005, 11:09 PM
I am our IT department, and I track every website any employee views. Thank God no one looks at my activity.

mmbt0ne
08-30-2005, 11:26 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Freecell and solitaire were uninstalled years ago man. I'd probably give the pro-poker playing thing a shot as I tried to find a job I don't need to be distracted with friends and fun convos in order to stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you actually winning now? Watch out 30/60!

Also, I agree with inchoatehand that less work would be done if everyone actually had to work all day.

TimM
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably give the pro-poker playing thing a shot as I tried to find a job I don't need to be distracted with friends and fun convos in order to stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys and your jobs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
08-31-2005, 12:30 AM
I think if that ever happened at my job I would get less done, I'd be at my computer a lot less.

afk
08-31-2005, 12:37 AM
You had a major freak out?

I was worried that I was going to be a Dad this week!

Fortunatly I will not be.

PoBoy321
08-31-2005, 12:46 AM
What? They expect you to do work instead of talking online with your friends?

Those bastards.