PDA

View Full Version : Practical knowledge for HS students

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 10:40 AM
I am a HS teacher at a urban, low-income, ethnically-diverse school (Farewell poker 'til next summer!). While I usually teach freshman English, this year I've been assigned a class called Future Focus - a class every 9th grader must take to fulfill state career-related standards.

In the past, this class has focused solely on career and job crap, but I'd like to expand the curriculum since most of our students have no idea how to be organized, disciplined, or proactive in a school or work environment. They are going to learn these skills in my class.

I would also like to include "practical knowledge". I always hear people complain about how school didn't address practical issues such as how to rent an apartment, how to check a bank statement, change your oil every 3000 miles, etc.

What do you think is a topic/skill that is usually neglected that I definitely should address in my curriculum?

(While humorous/retarded answers are always appreciated, I really would like some good, serious replies - thanks!)

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always hear people complain about how school didn't address practical issues such as how to rent an apartment, how to check a bank statement, change your oil every 3000 miles, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this what parents/guardians are supposed to do? Why is it the public schools' job to do this?

Patrick del Poker Grande
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
FINANCES - checkbooks, credit cards, budgeting, rent, utilities...

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
One thing that drives me crazy is people with absolutely no sense of urgency at all. Timliness is something you can teach. Instill some kind of punishement that actually matters to them for people that can't show up on time or get things done on time.

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this what parents/guardians are supposed to do? Why is it the public schools' job to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's technically not if you look at our state standards (the content/skills we MUST teach). Unfortunately, there are no such standards for parents. A shocking number of kids at our school have no responsible adult parent figure at home and some students are homeless. Teachers are their only link to upward mobility.

I'd just like to add skills/content that are easy to teach and will make their life more manageable.

(edit to include context)

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 10:52 AM
As others said, absolutely finances. Any of those kids who get a higher education are going to get school debt. Any of those kids who don't are going to get credit card debt (as of course, will many who do go to college). How loans work. How debt works. How really basic things like tax responsibility works. These are the things I am always trying to teach to otherwise intelligent, but far-too-coddled "adults."

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
This is truely a sad state of affairs that such basic skills children should learn from a responible authority figure at home needs to be taught using my tax dollars.

That said, I agree with lessons in financial responsibility, work ethic (if this is even possible), and punctuality.

HDPM
08-30-2005, 11:06 AM
I noticed at my inner city high school that had a mix of kids - i.e. lots of AP classes and lots of remedial stuff - that the teachers who tended to work well with the more "at risk" kids were ones who had some simple standards and rules and enforced them with some respect. You can teach a lot about the value of showing up and doing work by setting the example and insisting on the kids doing it. I would do anything I could think of to teach the kids how to learn on their own. Teach them how to use the internet to get a job or learn some practical skills, etc... Any actual skills you teach are a bonus. One idea is some budgeting/bill paying stuff.

MrWookie47
08-30-2005, 11:15 AM
When I was in 6th grade, my math class did a semester long project on personal finances. First, we were all required to go out and talk to a manager of some local business and find out about working for him in a job we might be qualified for when we were just out of high school. This gave us a taste of the interview process (albeit much lower key). We then "took" a job we liked, and we kept track of the wages as if we were actually working there. Every two weeks we recorded in our register a new paycheck, and we had to keep up with recording everything. We also had to write our teacher "checks" to pay for rent, utilities, and some "unplanned" expenses and maybe a gift from a rich uncle that she threw out every now and then. At the end of it all, we were to plan ourselves a vacation with all the money we had left. It was a good project, and it instilled a lot of good habits early. I don't think we payed taxes on our fictitious wages, but that might be something to think about adding. I'm sure you could structure something similar, but it would be a lot of work as a teacher. More power to you if you pull this off. I'm sure a lot of students would benefit.

fimbulwinter
08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
how to interact and be polite socially under different circumtances. romantic, casual, formal and business environments could be covered as well as proper conduct on internet message boards teeming with twentysomething nerds.

fim

poker-penguin
08-30-2005, 11:28 AM
It's good you want to expand the curriculum, but I would say that basic personal finance (don't buy [censored] you can't afford) and how to get and KEEP a job are very important.

Beyond that, I'd go with:

Your key legal rights in important situations:
- dealing with the police (when and what can they search, can they arrest me for not talking to them? etc)
- renting an apartment (no idea, never done it myself /images/graemlins/ooo.gif)
- at work (sexual harrasment, good faith, minimum pay / holiday requirements etc)

Nutrition (buying groceries, how to eat cheaply and well).

Maybe a class or two about how there are other countries in the world not just America, and that other countries are different. On a made for TV movie note, I know a guy from one of the most [censored] ed up families ever who made it through high school and then university because a teacher showed the class slides of Europe and my friend made the connection that if he stuck at school he could get a good job and go see those sweet places for himself.

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 11:35 AM
OK, how hard is it to rent an apartment? Find one you like and can afford and read the lease !

Reading comprehension - something that should be taught in, well, reading class.

Deductive reasoning and logic - things that are taught in science and math classes, among others.

Basic education (should) prepare(s) you for these things, without being that specific. What's next, how to order a meal at a fast food drive-thru? (This is not a rant at you PP, just in general).

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Well, reading isn't taught in reading class. And math and science education in America, for all but the very mathematically/scientifically inclined is absolutely laughable.

It sucks, but remedial living class is needed, and if done right its the first step to responsible living rather than a continuation of the ongoing infantilization of the American Adult.

MarkL444
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
i say finances too. mainly, credit.

Delphin
08-30-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is truely a sad state of affairs that such basic skills children should learn from a responible authority figure at home needs to be taught using my tax dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cost of not educating them and giving them some hope of becoming productive members of society is much more costly in terms of your tax dollars. I'd much rather pay for a few years of schooling than a lifetime in prison or welfare / medicaid / etc.

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh, I agree totally with you. I'm commenting more on the sad state of parenting rather than the educational system.

I guess they could call this class "How not to suck at life 101"?

offTopic
08-30-2005, 01:55 PM
I think managing finances is an excellent idea. Pay the students a "salary" each week, and make sure they have bills to pay and additional expenses to cover. Make the penalties clear for late payment, etc.

Treat this as a year (semester, whatever)-long project, and grade it accordingly. If they don't take it seriously and blow it off, it will be like getting a poor grade on an exam.

Also, Freshaman year in HS, it might be helpful if they filled out a 540EZ.

Edited to add: Also, teach them about bonus whoring and p*ker. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheWorstPlayer
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Job interview skills and proper workplace attire/demeanor.

JaBlue
08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
my highschool physics teacher told me that the average 40 year old bum was smarter than anyone in the class, which was comprised of the smartest kids in the school. He was right.

Pay a bum to share his life experiences with your kids.

MrMon
08-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Teach them they're in 9th grade, everything now counts. Tell them if they have the desire and the drive, college is possible, no matter their financial circumstances. Then send them here:

Inroads Program (http://www.inroads.org/)

May not be for every kid, but if you can get one or two to do this, you'll have made a big difference in their lives.

meep_42
08-30-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And i'd argue that you're paying more to bail them out of bankruptcy than you are to pay to teach a single HS class.

-d

meep_42
08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I agree totally with you. I'm commenting more on the sad state of parenting rather than the educational system.

I guess they could call this class "How not to suck at life 101"?

[/ QUOTE ]

The kids parents suck because their parents sucked, most likely. You have to break the cycle somewhere, yes?

-d

08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
I know that you'll never be able to teach this but you need to teach kids to develop a thick skin. When I came out of high school, I got my ass kicked by life. Just life in general kicked my ass because I was way too sensitive. Problem with this is I have no idea how to teach someone this and it wouldn't be allowed in school anyway since it would involve name calling etc since that is what happens in the real world/job.

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Did you miss the part where I said I agreed with you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you miss the part where I said I agreed with you? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he was distracted by your avatar. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

codewarrior
08-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Boobs pwn, EOT.

nothumb
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
I teach a Life Skills curriculum to youth in foster or juvenile placements at my current job. Here's the rundown:

Week 1. Introduction
Week 2. Money Management
Week 3. Employment, Part I
Week 4. Employment, Part II
Week 5. Housing: Finding a Place to Live
Week 6. Household Management
Week 7. Personal Care & Health Issues
Week 8. Food and Nutrition
Week 9. Community Resources
Week 10. Problem Solving & Decision Making
Week 11. Personal Goal Planning
Week 12. Wrap-up

Note that the group starts with the bare minimum skills - making a budget, holding a job, getting a place to live. Then moves on to the more abstract stuff. As some have suggested, the Money Management is incorporated into each subsequent group; they establish an income and stick with it as they make other decisions.

It's extremely difficult to teach this stuff to kids, especially kids who aren't interested and have other issues going on. You've really got to come up with some good ways to get and keep their attention.

NT

Slow Play Ray
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
We had a class in my high school called "Contemporary Affairs" where we learned how to create a line of credit, how to do our taxes, how to select proper insurance coverage, the benefits of leasing vs. buying a car, how to write a resume, and countless other little useful life lessons. We even had a project where we had to mock-buy a real house on the market, finding the best way to finance it and such. Best elective I ever took in high school - it should be mandatory.

meep_42
08-30-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I replied before reading the entire thread, as I often do.

-d

NutCrackerr
08-30-2005, 02:39 PM
- How to change a tire, properly use jumper cables
- righty tighty/lefty loosey (usually)
- simple electrical work (change a fuse, splice a wire)
- laundry (a lot of kids have no clue)
- lottery tickets are for suckers
- only use plastic utensils on non-stick cookwear
- how to read a road map
- condoms are a really, really good idea (and don't keep em in your wallet)
- when you write a check, make note in your check register.
- your actions DO have consequences
- how to sew a button
- life moves a lot faster once you hit your mid 20's
- broken light bulb? unplug the lamp BEFORE you try to remove it. try using a potato.
- nobody respects a limp handshake.
- how to get and keep a good credit rating and why it's so important.
- "your" isn't the same as "you're".
- you don't learn anything when you're talking
- how to cook a steak (well, medium, and medium rare).
- how to file your taxes (or at least to keep your stuff together and get to H&R Block).
- how to calculate your gas milage.
- always know the age of consent in your state.

Shajen
08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
- How to change a tire, properly use jumper cables
- righty tighty/lefty loosey (usually)
- simple electrical work (change a fuse, splice a wire)
- laundry (a lot of kids have no clue)
- lottery tickets are for suckers
- only use plastic utensils on non-stick cookwear
- how to read a road map
- condoms are a really, really good idea (and don't keep em in your wallet)
- when you write a check, make note in your check register.
- your actions DO have consequences
- how to sew a button
- life moves a lot faster once you hit your mid 20's
- broken light bulb? unplug the lamp BEFORE you try to remove it. try using a potato.
- nobody respects a limp handshake.
- how to get and keep a good credit rating and why it's so important.
- "your" isn't the same as "you're".
- you don't learn anything when you're talking
- how to cook a steak (well, medium, and medium rare).
- how to file your taxes (or at least to keep your stuff together and get to H&R Block).
- how to calculate your gas milage.
- always know the age of consent in your state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, are we teaching this stuff to orphans?

stankybank
08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
insurance of all kinds.

loans.

retirement.

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boobs pwn, EOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Tell TG, we're eagerly awaiting the next installment...Please let it be the Dangle. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
How about simple manners?
Even eating manners.
It's about how you present yourself. This stuff counts later on.

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We also had to write our teacher "checks" to pay for rent, utilities, and some "unplanned" expenses and maybe a gift from a rich uncle that she threw out every now and then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this idea! Real life application of financial management...I can dock for late work, tardies, unexcused absences, etc. etc...Thanks MrWookie!

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
You can honestly say you didn't waste time on OOT today - you touched teh future!!!

Seriously, though...I appreciate the great ideas and I'll be implementing many of them in my curriculum this year. You OOTiots rock.

If you have anything else that we missed, please share.

Packerfan1
08-30-2005, 03:17 PM
http://www.nefe.org/hsfppportal/includes/main/home.asp?portal=2

One thing I did with our son this summer was Real Money 101. This link had some good materials you could use (for free I think).

fwiw

Pack

TomCollins
08-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Give them a contract and have tons of fine print in it. See how many sign without even reading it. Put some rediculous provisions in it. Give extra credit to anyone who reads it and refuses to sign.

JaBlue
08-30-2005, 04:01 PM
What's the over/under on percent of class that actually reads it?

08-30-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cost of not educating them and giving them some hope of becoming productive members of society is much more costly in terms of your tax dollars. I'd much rather pay for a few years of schooling than a lifetime in prison or welfare / medicaid / etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
It takes a village.

*masturbates weinerstick*

08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
"Well, it's technically not if you look at our state standards (the content/skills we MUST teach). Unfortunately, there are no such standards for parents. A shocking number of kids at our school have no responsible adult parent figure at home and some students are homeless. Teachers are their only link to upward mobility."

Well there is your answer...teach them to be responsible parents(if they choose to be parents).

polltard

Phat Mack
08-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Teach them to critically read (or watch, or listen to) advertising. Have them read between the lines so they can understand what is being said by not being said. Have them create a few deceptive ads themselves--it'll make them more aware of technique.

Maybe you could even have them dissect some political speeches--but that could lead to trouble.

midas
08-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Mike - The best advice I can give for your students is to meet regular role models who have left the inner city without a lottery ticket (sports, music, etc) and have been successful through brains and hard work. Bring these people into your class to talk to the kids.

Also, I think the worst ball and chain is to have a kid before you can can support yourself. But if you taught this in class you would probably be wacked.

canis582
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Teaching them credit responsibility and how to recognize deceptive marketing would be my top two. The other one would be to teach them their fourth amendment rights, but I am not sure the dare officer would appreciate it if his future targets were aware of their rights.

jaybee_70
08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Remember the game of life? How the first spin determined your job and salary for the rest of the game? There is a similar game based on actual figures that shows how the math you take in school affects your education and job prospects in the future. You roll dice to see how much math you take in school, and then based on results move to job, college, family, etc. The whole class can play and talk about results. It is possible for example, for a high school drop out with little math skill to end up wealthy in the game but VERY unlikely. You could start class by playing this game, and locking people into different salary ranges. Then as you progress throughout the year teaching different topics (credit, housing, taxes, etc.) students can see how options differ based on various incomes.

Also, it is very important for young people to develop their voice, as well as critical thinking skills. Words like honor, integrity, honesty, trust loyalty, resposibility, and leadership are often used without students really understanding what they mean. Give students examples they can relate to and then have students work through their own definitions of these words. Have students look for examples to share with others from their own life. Put students to work writing and telling stories that are relevant to them. Anything you can do to get them thinking critically and developing their voice.

Good luck,
Joe

cdxx
08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
explain to them why their parents are low-income losers.

canis582
08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Remember the game of life? How the first spin determined your job and salary for the rest of the game? There is a similar game based on actual figures that shows how the math you take in school affects your education and job prospects in the future. You roll dice to see how much math you take in school, and then based on results move to job, college, family, etc. The whole class can play and talk about results. It is possible for example, for a high school drop out with little math skill to end up wealthy in the game but VERY unlikely. You could start class by playing this game, and locking people into different salary ranges. Then as you progress throughout the year teaching different topics (credit, housing, taxes, etc.) students can see how options differ based on various incomes.

Also, it is very important for young people to develop their voice, as well as critical thinking skills. Words like honor, integrity, honesty, trust loyalty, resposibility, and leadership are often used without students really understanding what they mean. Give students examples they can relate to and then have students work through their own definitions of these words. Have students look for examples to share with others from their own life. Put students to work writing and telling stories that are relevant to them. Anything you can do to get them thinking critically and developing their voice.

Good luck,
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT idea. You can use examples in the class and compare them.

"Tommy here learned integral calculus, so he gets to drive around the suburbs and decide which $250k house he wants...Mickey never learned algebra so he is tending bar looking for a $300/month apt in the slum."

Drill it into their heads that hard work sucks now, but tending bar for a living sucks even more. (no i do not tend bars)

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's the over/under on percent of class that actually reads it?

[/ QUOTE ]

12%

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike - The best advice I can give for your students is to meet regular role models who have left the inner city without a lottery ticket (sports, music, etc) and have been successful through brains and hard work. Bring these people into your class to talk to the kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea - I will try to find some of these people. I also like the other poster's suggestion that I find a homeless person (or former homeless) and have them talk about their hardships.

MikeNaked
08-30-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Teaching them credit responsibility and how to recognize deceptive marketing would be my top two. The other one would be to teach them their fourth amendment rights, but I am not sure the dare officer would appreciate it if his future targets were aware of their rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestions. Media Literacy is actually taught in 9th grade English.

And we have no DARE officer, thank jebus. We have a homeless student advocate instead. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Leo99
08-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Teach them what an employer is looking for. Set up mock employment situations. Teach them the "get the job done" "ask what to do next" attitude. I've seen 40 year old white college educated guys get fired for sitting on their asses and not looking for things to do at work. They'd tell me, "if they want me to do something, they'll tell me." Another guy dressed like a lumberjack at work. The rest of us dress in trousers and dress shirts. I told him that his clothes were out of sync with the rest of us and he should step it up. He replied that if they had a problem with his wardrobe, they would tell him. They didn't tell him anything about his wardrobe. They fired him after 2 weeks.

Work ethic.

midas
08-31-2005, 11:36 AM
What city are you in?

MrTrik
08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
I had a teacher in HS that spent time every day and ocasionally spent a whole hour (if we were ahead of the schedule) teaching practical stuff.

The two most useful things he taught and we role-played was conflict resolution and creative problem solving. Also a bit of light negotiation skills.

He did it in such a way that this stuff wasn't over anybody's head and I believe everyone in the course took away more than just science from the experience.