PDA

View Full Version : am i turning into a sissy?

schwza
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t785)
MP3 (t770)
CO (t760)
Button (t730)
Hero (t785)
BB (t685)
UTG (t1040)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t845)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t45) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t40</font>, MP1 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t85

durron597
08-30-2005, 10:36 AM
I would probably peel, if I didn't bet the flop.

schwza
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now i'm an ignorant sissy. peel = call?

se2schul
08-30-2005, 10:44 AM
I'd bet the flop, but you checked....

Well, you have to call 40 to win 85, that's 2:1
If you only have an OESD, that's 39:8 against, or 4.9:1
If you count the K as an out, that's 36:11, or 3.2:1
If you count the K and the T as outs (which I wouldn't), that's 33:14 or 2.3:1

So, you aren't really getting odds to call UNLESS villain is a total donk and if he lets you draw cheaply and you know you are getting huge implied odds. I'd only draw here with a read on the villain that said he'd call down HUGE bets if I hit. Otherwise I'd fold. Good fold, IMO. (disclaimer.... my math may be wrong - I didn't double check)

durron597
08-30-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now i'm an ignorant sissy. peel = call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peel = call, mostly because you want to see the next card and you think a lot of the time you are behind right now. I think it also implies you are last to act but I am not sure.

08-30-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop, but you checked....

Well, you have to call 40 to win 85, that's 2:1
If you only have an OESD, that's 39:8 against, or 4.9:1
If you count the K as an out, that's 36:11, or 3.2:1
If you count the K and the T as outs (which I wouldn't), that's 33:14 or 2.3:1

So, you aren't really getting odds to call UNLESS villain is a total donk and if he lets you draw cheaply and you know you are getting huge implied odds. I'd only draw here with a read on the villain that said he'd call down HUGE bets if I hit. Otherwise I'd fold. Good fold, IMO. (disclaimer.... my math may be wrong - I didn't double check)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can make some money off of the K falling, maybe he fires a probe bet, maybe he calls one bet. If you make the straight on the turn and check, you may get a little money on the river.

I'm calling here. On the turn, my plan is to check behind if he checks on any card, just call if he bets into me and I hit the straight/king, and only call if I didn't hit if I have pot odds (no longer implied odds) on the straight.

Edit: I meant to finish with "Is that correct?" because I'm not sure and would like feedback.

seaniswise
08-30-2005, 11:43 AM
how about raising to 120? maybe folding here is more reasonable, but i'd raise this once in a while (more often if he's the type to steal-surrender)..

Wes ManTooth
08-30-2005, 12:52 PM
What was your reason for folding?

schwza
08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first, consider check-calling. if i hit my straight, i'll almost always win the pot (occassionally i'll stack myself), but i don't think i win much more. when i check-call a flop like this, any reasonable player will think i can have a T. maybe i can get a small bet on the river (after it goes check-check on the turn), but i think that's all i get.

if i hit a king, that's good and all, but i'm still out of position. i'll probably check-call the turn and leave myself in a tough spot on the river. and a K might be a horrible card if villain can already beat it. that means i can't play a K very strongly if i do hit, so there's not too much value there.

if i call the flop and the turn's a brick, villain's probably going to be bet me off of the hand.

c/r: i don't like a c/r for a lot the same reasons. if i get called, i have a marginal hand and a lot of my stack in the middle. the only advantage would be that i wouldn't be read for a T so easily.

betting out: this might've been ok. dunno what i'd do if i got raised though.

in a mtt i would have done something else, but since i've been trying to drill into my own head to not go broke on level 1, i decided to check-fold.

Wes ManTooth
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first, consider check-calling. if i hit my straight, i'll almost always win the pot (occassionally i'll stack myself), but i don't think i win much more. when i check-call a flop like this, any reasonable player will think i can have a T. maybe i can get a small bet on the river (after it goes check-check on the turn), but i think that's all i get.

[/ QUOTE ]

Partly depends what you are putting opponent on. Did you have any reads from any previous hands (i know its only level 1, but). Also he bet 40 into a pot of 85, which seems fairly weak.

[ QUOTE ]

if i hit a king, that's good and all, but i'm still out of position. i'll probably check-call the turn and leave myself in a tough spot on the river. and a K might be a horrible card if villain can already beat it. that means i can't play a K very strongly if i do hit, so there's not too much value there.

if i call the flop and the turn's a brick, villain's probably going to be bet me off of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, unless he suspect to your call on the flop and/or afraid of a c/r on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

c/r: i don't like a c/r for a lot the same reasons. if i get called, i have a marginal hand and a lot of my stack in the middle. the only advantage would be that i wouldn't be read for a T so easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agreed, c/r the flop to win a 125 pot; being out of position if villian calls is another reason.

[ QUOTE ]

betting out: this might've been ok. dunno what i'd do if i got raised though.

in a mtt i would have done something else, but since i've been trying to drill into my own head to not go broke on level 1, i decided to check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

valid reasons for both calling and folding in this situation. I am not a big fan of looking at it from the view of going broke in level 1 though.

schwza
08-30-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also he bet 40 into a pot of 85, which seems fairly weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

he bet 40 into 45. if he'd bet 1/2 pot i'd have been happy to call.

raptor517
08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
i dont think yer a sissy. sometimes i call sometimes i fold. i def dont lead at this flop, as i dont wanna get raised and knocked off. he bet 8/9ths of the pot. if you raise him, i highly doubt hes folding. either take a card off and see where yer at or just get out and on to the next hand. holla

allenciox
08-30-2005, 05:04 PM
The problem with a check-call is that you might as well show him your cards... he'll have a pretty good guess what you have. If you lead out, he doesn't know whether you have top pair (or second pair) or a straight draw. If he raises your flop bet, call a small raise, fold a bigger one. He may just call, and if a J or 6 hits and you bet, he won't know whether you hit your straight or if you are continuing to bet with top pair.

raptor517
08-30-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with a check-call is that you might as well show him your cards... he'll have a pretty good guess what you have. If you lead out, he doesn't know whether you have top pair (or second pair) or a straight draw. If he raises your flop bet, call a small raise, fold a bigger one. He may just call, and if a J or 6 hits and you bet, he won't know whether you hit your straight or if you are continuing to bet with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

why does a check call mean you ahve a 10? if thats the case, then you should check call with every single hand you could possibly have and you effectively have 8 extra outs. holla