PDA

View Full Version : Poker on TV

MS Sunshine
04-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Poker on TV, with a tie-in to internet poker, is very good for winning players, the site in question, and for all internet poker sites. I love the WPT. I want to play with the xxxKGB007 crowd that think S&M is OK, except for the ropeburns. I want them young and dumb.

The recent fish sightings posted here, about several sites, and the large spike in UB's traffic recently are due to the WBT. IMO. UB should be patting themselves on the back for getting the WPT stop. Keep up the good work.

Party gets the easiest PPM sats on nights that the PPM is shown on TV and the following nights have an echo. I've won 2/3 of my seats on these nights.

Just thru the growing number of WSOP seats given away on the internet each year, some internet player is going win the BIG ONE for free or some low amount. You will be able to tell the Net player at the final table. He is young, will have a ballcap on backwards from the internet poker site where he won the $10K seat for $1. His friend who doesn't speak english well will be translating for press questions. This will be his first live poker game ever and it may even be the first time he has had cards in his hands. That's the couple of weeks to play internet poker.

The promotions that make the games easier to win at, for us, are the best dollars spent. Paraidse's WSOP promo fits this. Let's had promos where 36o capped preflop wins a chance at a $10K WSOP seat. Let's not see how many 2+2ers and RGPers we can fit into my games. I want to have to give up the 35% flop average game for something better.

What's good for internet poker is getting new, I mean brand-new players excited about playing for money on the internet. If that means selling them a dream on TV, then sell away brother, sell away.

MS Sunshine

Glenn
04-14-2003, 12:25 PM
"Just thru the growing number of WSOP seats given away on the internet each year, some internet player is going win the BIG ONE for free or some low amount. You will be able to tell the Net player at the final table. He is young, will have a ballcap on backwards from the internet poker site where he won the $10K seat for $1. "

I am starting to think this too. I don't think it will be some lucky $1 bastard though. Because of the setup of *some* of the new promotions, some quality players have started qualifying online. For instance, I noticed that TheBeat won the Tourney leaderboard seat on stars,. and he is good enough to actually have a shot. There are a number of excellent online players, and the speed and availability of games allows for a much quicker learning curve.

rkiray
04-14-2003, 12:56 PM
I hope you are right, but I doubt that the effect will be too great as long as the WPT is on the travel channel. I'd love to watch the shows, but in Denver you need digital cable to get the travel channel. I don't get digital cable. I used to work for AT&T cable and know most people don't have it. Unless you REALLY, REALLY, like movies I can't imagine why anyone would want it. So unless WPT moves to a more popular network, I don't believe its impact will be that big. If the shows are as good as I have heard perhaps they will be picked up by a bigger network in a year or two. If it could just get on ESPN2 or FSN that would be big enough IMHO.

RiverMel
04-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Travel Channel is on non-digital cable at least here in New England, I imagine the same would be true in some other spots. Also, in my area Digital is pretty much the default: It's only like $3 or $4 more a month than analog, they really are trying to phase analog out entirely.

TimTimSalabim
04-14-2003, 01:10 PM
Our local cable company moved the Game Show Network to the digital channels recently, and then enough people complained so that they moved it back to analog. Maybe you can start a campaign there to get the Travel Channel moved.

beernutz
04-14-2003, 01:15 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I want to play with the xxxKGB007 crowd that think S&amp;M is OK, except for the ropeburns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm an idiot. I think I get the gist of your message but could you translate the above, please?

FWIW, we get the Travel channel on analog cable here.

rkiray
04-14-2003, 01:17 PM
People into Sado Masochistic sex like to tie each other up. Can lead to rope burns, especially on the wrists and ankles.

RiverMel
04-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Sunshine wants to play with lots of people who have seen rounders and choose their name based on that, and who also only know S&amp;M as sadomasochism and not Sklansky &amp; Malmuth.

TimTimSalabim
04-14-2003, 01:36 PM
I'm just waiting for the right moment online to type into the chat box, "You're right, Rounders73892831. I don't have the spades..."

RiverMel
04-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Be patient, that day will come--especially with the seeming millions of people parading around with Rounders nicks.

adam74
04-14-2003, 02:04 PM
And, if you do say that to them, they really won't mind that they've just lost a huge pot to your aces-full, cos they'll be so chuffed that you've just quoted Rounders to them. In fact, they'll then go on to set up more Rounders situations - with them having the losing hand - just so more lines from the film can be quoted. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2ndGoat
04-17-2003, 02:42 AM
I actually managed this online once vs a MikeMcD340r89y23049herff. I think I was a couple off though, Aces full of sevens vs sevens full of aces. It was also in limit poker. However, it was one of more satisfying moments I've come across in my short poker career.

2ndGoat

roGER
04-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Very well put, Ms. Sunshine!

The WSOP promotion has been the best thing that's happened to Paradise for years - so many fish, so many good games, so much "no brainer" poker...

Alas, one of the saddest things has been the busting of the Rounders crowd - its months since I've had the pleasure of beating the crap out of a "Rounder" a "Worm" or a "KGB."

Despite the S.D. of poker, there are simply too many sharks on Paradise for the poor little rounders fish to survive - bless them all, and I hope at least some of them return to the game when they leave college and have their first pay-checks coming in...

Yup - I suspect you may well be right about a future winner of the WSOP. The Paradise promotion structure forced anyone who really wanted to be in that tournament to play like a fish on Acid for three nights straight - wonderful. And if any of you 2+2ers are going to be in the big one yourselves, one of the happiest sights on day 1 will be some young "hot-shot" sit down at your table wearing the Paradise Poker promotional regalia. I wonder just how many of the band of 10 will survive to the end of day 2???

Poker on TV is great, on-line poker promotions are great, and its wonderful for any half-good player.

- roGER