PDA

View Full Version : Film buffs only: Name an actor/actress that...

diebitter
08-30-2005, 07:54 AM
1. has been in 2 different trilogies (or sets of films that number 3 or more) as a different character

I'll start - Christopher Lee, Dracula and Saruman

2. That has appeared as the same character in films not necessarily connected as a 'series'
Sean Connery as James Bond in the Cubby Broccoli series, and in 'Never say Never Again'

3. Directed one (and only one) film
Charles Laughton - Night of the Hunter

4. Would have been a good choice for Willy Wonka in the new film (not that Depp is bad)
Christopher Walken

dcasper70
08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
4) I heard Kevin Spacey was a candidate. He would have fit well.

TylerD
08-30-2005, 08:11 AM
1. Harrison Ford - Indy and Star Wars.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:24 AM
1. Warwick Davis - the Harry Potter series, the Leprechaun series
2. Michael Keaton played Ray Nicolet in Jackie Brown and Out of Sight
3. Marlon Brando - One Eyed Jacks
4. I think Gene Wilder was the definitive Willy Wonka, and don't really see the point of attempting a remake in the first place

diebitter
08-30-2005, 08:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4) I heard Kevin Spacey was a candidate. He would have fit well.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a good Dr Evil next to Danny DeVito's MiniMe, that's for sure.

imported_The Vibesman
08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
1. Mel Gibson, Mad Max + Lethal Weapon

2. Michael Keaton, Batman (was going to use Ray Nicolette, but someone beat me.)

3. Steven Seagal, On Deadly Ground. Yeah, they let him direct one.

4. Haven't seen it. Alice Cooper?

diebitter
08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2. Michael Keaton, Batman (was going to use Ray Nicolette, but someone beat me.)

[/ QUOTE ]
What was the other film he starred in as Batman then?

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he was only in Batman and Batman returns.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Clint Eastwood was "The Man With No Name" in "A Fistful of Dollars", "A Few Dollars More", and "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", and Harry Callahan in the "Dirty Harry" series.

DrunkHamster
08-30-2005, 08:52 AM
1) Can't remember the name, but Agent Smith in the Matrix who was also the Elf King dude in LOTR.

ChipWrecked
08-30-2005, 08:52 AM
2. is a rat bastard. Plenty of 'parlayed stage role into movie' folks, but I'm drawing a blank on movie/movie with this restriction.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Can't remember the name, but Agent Smith in the Matrix who was also the Elf King dude in LOTR.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good one. Hugo Weaving.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 08:58 AM
2. Two other easy ones are Sylvester Stallone (Rocky, Rambo series) and Talia Shire (Rocky, Godfather series).

diebitter
08-30-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. is a rat bastard. Plenty of 'parlayed stage role into movie' folks, but I'm drawing a blank on movie/movie with this restriction.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, there's two others I think, and the character was Dracula in both cases.

Christopher Lee played him in the Hammer series and some dodgy Spanish production, and John Carradine played him in several unrelated films.

I'm pretty sure there are no others though.

Kirg
08-30-2005, 09:01 AM
1) Hugo Weaving (Matrix (Agent Smith) and Lord of the Rings (Elrond))

2) Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy (They play the same characters in Before Sunrise/Before Sunset as they do in Waking Life, and altough all 3 are from the same director Waking Life is not connected to the Before's.)

3) Sean Connery (The Bowler and the Bonnet)

4) Noone beats Depp.

imported_The Vibesman
08-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Batman Returns

(That has appeared as the same character in films not necessarily connected as a 'series'
Sean Connery as James Bond in the Cubby Broccoli series, and in 'Never say Never Again')

Nothing about # of films.

imported_The Vibesman
08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clint Eastwood was "The Man With No Name" in "A Fistful of Dollars", "A Few Dollars More", and "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", and Harry Callahan in the "Dirty Harry" series.

[/ QUOTE ]

I simply cannot believe I didn't come up with this.

Kirg
08-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Since someone else mentioned Huge Weaving while I was typing.

1) Ian McKellen (Lord of the Rings (Gandalf) and X-Men (Magneto, nr 3 is in the making)

I guess if you count X-men 3 you can also add Patrick Stewart for X-men and Star Trek.

jakethebake
08-30-2005, 09:10 AM
Marlon Brando - The Godfather & Superman (although he wasn't in all the movies of each trilogy, he was in both series)

Peter Cushing - Star Wars & Dracula

James Earl Jones - Star Wars & the Tom Clancy series (Clear & Present Danger, etc.)

Hal 2000
08-30-2005, 09:15 AM
2) My favorite: Carl Weathers as Chubbs Petersen in both 'Happy Gilmore' and 'Little Nicky'.

craig r
08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Stallone: Rocky and Rambo
Eddie Murphy: Beverly Hills Cop, Nutty Professor, 48 Hours

craig

edit: Off topic, but I think Rocky I and II are great movies (watching 2 right now), but how does one become a worse actor over time? I mean Sly wrote, directed, and starred in these movies, but totally sucks now. Maybe he wasn't acting in I and II??

Oh, and I don't want to ruin Rocky II for anybody, but he wins this one. He knocks that fing mullies (sp?) head in. You know that can really happen? (hopefully someone knows where I am getting that from.

ChipWrecked
08-30-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) My favorite: Carl Weathers as Chubbs Petersen in both 'Happy Gilmore' and 'Little Nicky'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!

"It's all in da hips...."

Crveballin
08-30-2005, 10:03 AM
1. Robert De Niro - God Father Trilogy and I use two sequels for my second one (Meet the Parents and Analyze This)

Bulldog
08-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Pat Morita
Daniel Bernhardt
Sylvester Stallone
Carl Weathers (3?)
Marlon Brando
Diane Keaton
Abe Vigoda

man, this is easy

Bulldog
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Question was "has been in trilogies". If you are in one film in a trilogy, you are in the trilogy.

diebitter
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
I shoulda been clearer in the OP - for (1) I meant when the characeter appeared in all of the films. Too late now though.

I do like the call about DeNiro where the poster decides 1 trilogy == 2 sets of completely separate films that consist of a part 1+2 though.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 10:07 AM
#1 is harder when you try to think of someone who has been in all 3 movies of 2 separate trilogies.

diebitter
08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Question was "has been in trilogies". If you are in one film in a trilogy, you are in the trilogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope 2 was 'That has appeared as the same character in films not necessarily connected as a 'series' '

Jeez, I feel like a moderator.

The Armchair
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
For #2, the guys who played Randolph and Mortimer Duke in "Trading Places" have a quick scene as the same characters, now homeless, in "Coming to America."

And technically, Get Shorty and Be Cool are unrelated, so Travolta's character should suffice there too.

samjjones
08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For #2, the guys who played Randolph and Mortimer Duke in "Trading Places" have a quick scene as the same characters, now homeless, in "Coming to America."

And technically, Get Shorty and Be Cool are unrelated, so Travolta's character should suffice there too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless I am missing something, "Be Cool" is a direct sequel to "Get Shorty".

DMBFan23
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
1. Stallone, Rambo and Rocky

2. Jason Mewes as Jay in 'Chasing Amy' and 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'

3. did Landis do anything other than Animal House?

4. George Clooney...reaching here, I know...

Crveballin
08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
2. Harold and Kumar from American Pie 3 and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

Edit: Kumar was from Van Wilder wasnt he?

diebitter
08-30-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Blues Brothers and American Werewolf in London, and plenty more I think.

DMBFan23
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
he did Blues Brothers? I'm a failure.

TylerD
08-30-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Harold and Kumar from American Pie 3 and Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle

[/ QUOTE ]

No, different characters.

imported_The Vibesman
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: Off topic, but I think Rocky I and II are great movies (watching 2 right now), but how does one become a worse actor over time? I mean Sly wrote, directed, and starred in these movies, but totally sucks now. Maybe he wasn't acting in I and II??

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Sly was pretty good in Copland, actually. I doubt they're breaking down his doors with the good roles, and writing is just like guitar playing, you gotta do it all the time to stay really sharp. I like Sly.

So, little Italian white man, you can hop in your Iroc Z-28 and get the hell outta here.

imported_The Vibesman
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much. Just:
• Slasher (2004)

• Dying to Get Rich (2000)

• Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)

• The Stupids (1996)

• Beverly Hills Cop III (1994)

• Innocent Blood (1992)

• Oscar (1991)

• Coming to America (1988)

• Amazon Women on the Moon (1987)

• Three Amigos! (1986)

• Spies Like Us (1985)

• Into the Night (1985)

• Trading Places (1983)

• Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)

• An American Werewolf in London (1981)

• The Blues Brothers (1980)

• Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)

• Schlock (1973)

08-30-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ralph Bellamy ,Don Ameche

polltard

08-30-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless I am missing something, "Be Cool" is a direct sequel to "Get Shorty".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Travolta's mob guy in the first is the same guy in the second. He's now broadening into the recording industry.

-AC

pryor15
08-30-2005, 10:53 PM
1. Julie Delpy was in Three Colors and the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Waking Life trifecta

2. Kieslowski did this a lot, but the characters didn't exactly have names all the time. you could count most of the characters of The Decalogue, since those are actually 10 different movies. an obvious "Film Buff" answer, though, is Liv Ullman and Joseph Erlander (not even close to right) in "Scenes from a marriage" and various other things.

3. Robert DeNiro ("A Bronx Tale"), Ethan Hawke ("Chelsea Walls")

4. Gene Wilder

TimTimSalabim
08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Julie Delpy was in Three Colors and the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Waking Life trifecta

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually she was only in one of the 3 Colors (White). Juliette Binoche was in Blue and Irene Jacob in Red. All very good flicks, BTW.

Edit: A quick check to IMDB shows I'm wrong, sorry. She only starred in White, however.

pryor15
08-30-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually she was only in one of the 3 Colors (White). Juliette Binoche was in Blue and Irene Jacob in Red. All very good flicks, BTW.

Edit: A quick check to IMDB shows I'm wrong, sorry. She only starred in White, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was pretty much uncredited, but she's in the courtroom in Blue and on the boat in the end of Red

Moneyline
08-30-2005, 11:42 PM
1) Charles Bronson: Death Wish I-V, Family of Cops I-III

2) Fred "The Hammer" Williamson as Jesse Crowder in DEATH JOURNEY, NO WAY BACK, and about 10 others

3) Arnold Schwartzenegger: CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT

4) Dave Chapelle

Chairman Wood
08-31-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4) Dave Chapelle

[/ QUOTE ]
I never would have thought of that and I think it's an excellent suggestion.

TheCroShow
08-31-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNER

harrison ford: indiana jones, and tom clancy flicks: hunt for red october, patriot games, clear and present danger.

christopher lee: lord of the rings, star wars ep 1-3

arnold schwarzenegger: batman and robin, conan barbarian, conan destroyer, red sonja (this counts yah??), terminator series

KingCon
08-31-2005, 10:42 AM
1) Randy Quaid---In Major League and the VACATION movies

2) Rob Schnieder has played the same Guy who yells " YOU CAN DO IT" in several Adam Sandler Movies

4) I think Jack Nicholson would be an interesting Mr Wonka

imported_The Vibesman
08-31-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

4) I think Jack Nicholson would be an interesting Mr Wonka

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, I was thinking the same thing...

Army Eye
08-31-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3. Directed one (and only one) film
Charles Laughton - Night of the Hunter

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I haven't seen it but isn't this considered to be an all-time great. How come he only directed one picture?