PDA

View Full Version : Getting the most out of a mad low (Stud8)

Taraz
08-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I don't have a hand history for this, so bear with my description. Assume that you are playing at a typically loose 2-4 game on Party.

Seat 1: xx KJ7
Hero: A7 368
Seat 3: xx 3T9
Seat 4: xx Q52
(A jack and a four are dead)

If seat 1 bets and I am next to act do I want to raise or flat call? It looks like Seat 3 was going low and Seat 4 was going high and they both caught bad on 4th and 5th.

If I flat call I could get one of the players behind me to call if they were going high and increase my side of the pot. The problem with this is that my low is basically the weakest possible and vulnerable to anybody else hitting a low. Seat 4 looked like he was going high on 3rd, but the players on Party are bad enough that he could've had A2Q or something. So if he has two low cards buried I would definitely want to raise to get him to fold if possible. Should I worry about him having 4 to a low though?

Do I build a pot, or just shut everybody out now?

Taraz
08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Please ignore my spelling error in the title. It's supposed to be MADE low. Too late to edit it.

Damn, I look like an idiot . . .

arcticfox
08-30-2005, 07:58 AM
You raise to protect your low, the pot is presumably already large enough to be attractive to win and you want any other low draws to fold.

Nick_Foxx
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
It depends on your read of what the lead bettor has... if you think you can catch an Ace and scoop the whole thing, you should raise here and get it heads up... if you feel he has a stronger hand than that, then I would just flat call and hope I get one of the hitchhikers to come along... they might make a little something on the next card that will enable you to jam them in on a subsequent street

what usually happens in this situation is that you flat call and both of the players behind you fold anyway... then if you catch a card that gives you a straight draw (a 4, 5, 9 or 10) or an Ace, you have good scooping potential

mike

Bartholow
08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I'd raise, your low is just too vulnerable, and no matter what your read is it has to increase your scooping odds too.

DeadMoneyOC
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I raise this most of the time. I raise because my theory is that if people are going to call 1 bet with something they will probably call two. This is pretty low limit and people love to see more cards, so make them pay. I think this situation is somewhat player dependent though. If you know they are loosy goosy idiots then you must raise. Even if it becomes HU its not like you dont have any scoop potential. You could hit runner runner something to beat what ever he has while you have a one way lock.