PDA

View Full Version : anything make wireless internet more reliable?

fire_fly
08-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Is there such thing as extra large antennas or something of that sort?

Just moved into a new apartment, and just lost a 25 dollar pot on the river when I had the nuts when I tried to cap and instead it disconnected and folded me. Wireless sucks...

Any ideas?

08-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Pretty sure you are looking for a wireless connection booster...something like this perhaps - http://www.atruereview.com/cantenna/index.php

There are many various model relative to how much you need to improve your signal.

08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Just make sure you are using wireless G, preferably linkysys router, and make sure your internet speed is at least 256meg

08-30-2005, 01:18 PM
one more thing, typically if you are disconnected its not because of your wireless router, its just your internet connection.

fire_fly
08-30-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just make sure you are using wireless G, preferably linkysys router, and make sure your internet speed is at least 256meg

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, thanks for the help, but what is all that stuff? Do different wireless cards with more features actually increase the wireless signal reliability?

Heres what the specs are from the box of the card I bought:
802.11G (no idea what this is)
54 Mbps
detachable dipole antenna (about 1.5 inches long)
Frequency range:2.412GHz-2.4835GHz

Does this card suck? Is it great? I have no idea... Thanks for the help.

08-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Well first of all, your internet speed has nothing to do with it. 802.11G is the protocol used by your wireless network...it means a lot of different things but the most important is the speed of the network which is 54Mbps.

If you have an antena on the card that's nice, make sure it's attached properly or it's just as if you don't have any. The important part beside the card is the router...that's the box which is connected to your modem which provide the Internet connection.

When the connection is initialized you should see two computers near the clock of your computer (bottom-right) if you double click you on those you should get a popup regarding your Wireless connection status...there you will see the signal strenght. If it's low the speed will drop to compensate...however if it's not good at all there's a good chance that your connection will drop and come back again.

Here's some info required so that most of us can help you.

Which Operating system? (Windows 98, 2000, XP, GNU/Linux, etc.)
What brand or router/wireless card (Linksys, d-link, etc.)
How is your computer located regarding the router? (upstair to downstair, on the other side of a 3 feet thick cement wall. All those things affect signal quality.

Also just to make sure, are you absolutely sure that it was your Wireless connection that failed? Does it happen frequently. It could have been the poker client, the router itself or your modem.

fire_fly
08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey Evian, thanks for the help.

As far as I know, there is no router in my apartment, the internet just comes from my apartment complex which provides it.

The connection status stays at a very constant "very good" 4 out of 5 bars, but just completely dies about once or twice a day. It then comes back on in 1-2 minutes usually. When it dies like this, it says "no wireless networks in range."

Which Operating system? Windows XP

What brand or router/wireless card (Linksys, d-link, etc.) I do not own a router, but the wireless card is an AirLink 101 (cheapest one at fries, 25 bucks, a bad idea?) Would a more expensive card help?

How is your computer located regarding the router? I'm guessing there is a router somewhere around here, and I'll have to find out where, but like I said, I'm 99 percent sure there is not a router here in my new apartment.

Thanks for all the help.

08-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I see...

Well you not owning the router change a lot of things. If it's a big complex the connection could be split in Access point (sort of relay for the signal). If you get 4 out of 5 bars most of the time the problem is more than likely not with your card since it's picking up a strong signal. I would check with the owner of the complex and try to get them to help you out.

The antenna I mentioned might be something they want to look into. Depending on their knowledge of Wireless it could be a nice setup but if it's a multi stories building so many things can happen between the source and your card (phones (which work on 2.4Ghz range now a day), signal lost, noises.

Checking with them would be my first step as if you have a solid connection and it drop all of a sudden and come back at full strenght the problem is more than likely not on your end. To say that I'm making the assumption that your computer location doesn't change (i.e. a laptop that you move from room to room while connected)

BBill
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
many things can happen between the source and your card (phones (which work on 2.4Ghz range now a day), signal lost, noises.

Yeah actually microwave ovens, cell phones, PDAs can cause signal interference at 802.11

fire_fly
08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Hey, just got back from talking to my apartment manager, and confirmed that there were indeed only 3 access points in the entire apartment complex.

I pointed my little antenna twords the nearest one, but it's a solid 50 or 75 feet away and through at least 4 or 5 walls. But for right now it seems to be working a little better than before, I'll just have to use it and see over time.

That would really suck if every time someone used their cell in between the access point and me it would drop me. If this keeps up I guess I'm just going to have to say screw it and pay for some normal dsl or something.

btw, do you think a signal strength enhancer would work even through multiple walls?

Nomad84
08-31-2005, 11:08 PM
I've heard of people using homemade parabolic reflectors positioned behind the antenna to improve the signal strength. Not sure how well they actually work, but it would be cheap to try. Should be able to find more info with a quick google search. Of course, this probably wouldn't help you anyway if you have a good signal 99% of the time. /images/graemlins/confused.gif