PDA

View Full Version : Folding on the river

08-30-2005, 06:03 AM
I almost never fold HU to a river bet in stud. Especially if the pot exceeds 6 big bets. I'll call down with unimproved aces or kings or whatever every time on the river. Is this a leak?

I usually get away from hands before 6th street, but if I'm in on the river, I'll call. I've been seeing so many folds HU on the river in pots exceeding 10 big bets that I'm starting to wonder...

Bartholow
08-30-2005, 01:05 PM
I think this is basically fine, but there was a pretty good discussion of this not too long ago that you should search for. I believe it was called something like "Always call if you can beat their board?". I'm too lazy to find it for you, but shouldn't be TOO hard to find.

PoorLawyer
08-30-2005, 03:26 PM
i think a lot of the folds on the river in a 10BB pot are busted draws. There is no way I am going to call a bet with A high (even though that sometimes is enough to win in low limits).
I think folding on the river is partially player dependant. If the guy is a clear whacko I will always call.
Another important point is if anyone calls in between. If you are sitting there with unimproved Qs and someone bets and you get 2 callers, there is almost no way your hand will hold up.

peritonlogon
08-30-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Another important point is if anyone calls in between. If you are sitting there with unimproved Qs and someone bets and you get 2 callers, there is almost no way your hand will hold up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cowboy is talking about heads up

BeerMoney
08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
this is fine. As far as river play goes, you want to be more concerned with value betting more hands on the river.. Cause everyone calls.

I've made a couple of huge calls recently. One with a pair of fives in a 12 big bet pot. I figured there was a chance my opponent was also on a draw, and he was.. I won!

--NeverBeenBluffed

Where's Carlos?

kyleb
08-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Calling with unimproved aces and kings can be wrong if you suspect they are improving, but yeah, if you've hit the river, you should be calling damn near every time since the pot odds are usually too great to fold.

As someone said in this month's Card Player magazine, (I am paraphrasing) "Making tough folds on the river isn't the way to win money in limit poker."

BTirish
08-31-2005, 02:59 AM
It's mostly about read. I think Chip Reese says in his stud section of SS1 that if you have an opponent whose river betting/calling requirements you know perfectly, and they never mix it up--you have a friend for life.

In the case below, my super LAG-y opponent was prone to fire on the river with almost anything.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.hta.txt))

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Hero: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___folds
Hero: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Hero: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls

6th Street - (4.35 BB)

Hero: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls

River - (6.35 BB)

Hero: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx___bets

Total pot: (8.35 BB)

Results:
Total pot $16.70 | Rake $0.75

Hero: [8d 7s 7d 6h 2d Qd Jc] (a pair of Sevens)

Seat 7: [Qc 4s 5h 6d Td Js Ks] (high card King)

Andy B
08-31-2005, 10:23 PM
I call on the river too, if only for the good of society.