PDA

View Full Version : Could I have finally found an interesting hand to post? (UB 50/100)

Enon
08-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi guys.

I rarely post hands here anymore because I have a pretty bad sense of what hands are actually interesting or not but this hand seems like it might qualify and its not a party 30/60 hand either.

I play pretty tight in this game and (16/10/2.x) and because the player base is so small, my opponent definitely recognizes me. My opponent is a solid winner in the game (20/13/x) and probably is opening on my blind a bit more liberally since I don't defend as much as some other tags in the game.

My first hand at the table I get K/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the BB and it folds to the SB who open raises, I call.

Flop (2 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif He bets I raise he calls.

Turn (4 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif Check check

River(4 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Check, bet, checkraise, call

Comments on all streets appreciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BarronVangorToth
08-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Hindsight being 20/20 and all, this is why checking behind on this river is best, especially against potentially tricky and savvy opposition. Up to that point I was right there with you ... how many worse hands call your bet on the river, given the action?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

elindauer
08-30-2005, 06:21 AM
I don't understand your motivation to bet the river. Paying off the check-raise... ugh. 7:1 seems reasonable since I have a hard time putting him on a hand. It's clear that you could have nothing from this action, so he could be bluffing. I'd pay off and then wonder why I'd bet in the first place.

Good luck.
Eric

kiddo
08-30-2005, 07:35 AM
Why do you think he got a better hand then yours when he calls flop and check turn? You got 14 outs for 2pair or better and flop looks extremly drawish so if he got better then you I dont see why he shouldnt put you on a draw and reraise flop? If he only had middlepair I could see him call flop and bet turn when its not a flushcard (but HU it do seems weak). But call flop and check turn?

08-30-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys.

I rarely post hands here anymore because I have a pretty bad sense of what hands are actually interesting or not but this hand seems like it might qualify and its not a party 30/60 hand either.

I play pretty tight in this game and (16/10/2.x) and because the player base is so small, my opponent definitely recognizes me. My opponent is a solid winner in the game (20/13/x) and probably is opening on my blind a bit more liberally since I don't defend as much as some other tags in the game.

My first hand at the table I get K/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the BB and it folds to the SB who open raises, I call.

Flop (2 BB): T/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif He bets I raise he calls.

Turn (4 BB): 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif Check check

River(4 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Check, bet, checkraise, call

Comments on all streets appreciated /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
PREFLOP: Good call. FlOP: Good raise. TURN: You seriously need to bet this turn! You have a flush draw and a piece, and if you are in the lead, which you easily could be in this situation, you dont want to give your opponent a free card to beat you. Bet the turn with the intention of checking the river for a free showdown.

08-30-2005, 10:10 AM
The turn check bad. Might've saved you a bet on this particular hand, but in general not good.

DcifrThs
08-30-2005, 11:54 AM
SEEE!! dont you GET IT.!!??

this is why you need sophia to tell you "BRAAAAAAAAAAA bet the turn."

listen to the parrot, its wise beyond its years.

Barron

skp
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I have a different from just about everyone else that has replied thus far.

I like the river bet given your turn play.

I don't mind your turn play although I definitely see a case for betting.

I would hate your turn check if you intended on also checking the river unless you improved. Your turn check tells the other guy you don't have very much and could well have nothing but a draw. When the river blanks, you must bet because you do in fact have something and can expect a call from ace high. When he raises, you have an automatic call because he might well be bluffraising you because he might well think that you are bluffing.

That is, he is probably thinking "that dude ain't got a queen or a ten because he would bet those on the turn. He wouldn't bet an 8 on the river. So, he probably has two pairs or better or is bluffing with bluffing being way more likely. I have got nothing myself. I didn't want to bet it initially as I thought he might call with just an 8 or even ace high but his bet changes things. I think he is bluffing. Perhaps, I can take the pot away by raising".

The Truth
08-30-2005, 09:45 PM
If you bet the turn, and he raises. Do you just call down unimproved?

bicyclekick
08-30-2005, 10:46 PM
hate your turn check. wtf?

PokerBob
08-30-2005, 11:07 PM
why didn't you bet the turn?

Enon
08-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Looking back on the hand I think turn check sucks because I can't take the free showdown but not as sucky because I probably have opponent drawing really slim if I'm ahead. And since I have tons of outs here, I don't really mind getting checkraised since I can fold river easily without improvement. Why'd I check? No good reason at the time, just playing too timidly at the beginning of my session /images/graemlins/smile.gif

River I'm still undecided about but I'm pretty sure I like the bet as I'm getting called by a worse 8, a smaller pocket pair and ace high but that damn river checkraise threw me off. One of those situations where the action is just too weird to throw my hand away getting 7-1. Maybe I'm more like a 10-1 dog here but it can't be much more.

When river decision seems close like this, I tend to call not just for added info on opponent (matters more on UB since player base is small) because nothing puts me on tilt more than possibly folding decent sized pots for one bet on the river. It is definitely a leak in my game but having my confidence shattered and/or possibly quitting my games for the night is not worth whatever small percentage of a BB I gain from folding here.

Opponent showed Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the winner on a final board of T/images/graemlins/spade.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif6/images/graemlins/heart.gif3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif