PDA

View Full Version : life without a tv

tdarko
08-30-2005, 01:30 AM
i just got home from living down at the border of mexico for a little while and before that i lived with a host family in new haven, connecticut.

i know i know, there is perfectly good cable in both of these places but my host family did not have a tv in my room and since i got home late and woke up late usually i never spent anytime in the family room to watch tv. while living in south texas, i was in an apartment but we decided since we weren't home that often that we would skip out on getting cable in the apt, plus i had already been without a tv and was fine with it.

i get back today and i still didn't turn the tv on. i have no desire to watch tv, basically i just used my computer and then put in a dvd. i was never a tv junkie but i did watch it and now i don't even want the thing on.

my question is this: is tv an addiction?

b/c everyone i know plans their schedules around different programs (mostly reality shows) even if they will be aired a million times all day.

who can't live without a tv and why? i am fairly certain i am alone on this but i just wanted to know who all admits to being addicted (nothing wrong with that).

Dynasty
08-30-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
life without a tv

[/ QUOTE ]

My reaction. (http://vaderinternet.ytmnd.com/)

Jules22
08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
if it wasnt for televised sports, i could easily go w/o it.

nothumb
08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
I haven't had cable in six years or so. I still watch baseball but I just go to the bar. There are a few other things I like to watch that I may try to catch, but being forced to leave the house in order to do so is a very good thing. It means I don't just come home and mindlessly throw on the TV. I'll probably never pay for cable again, especially with how much it costs now.

NT

CanKid
08-30-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Loc: watching channel 9

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm the same, I only use my TV for dvds. I rent all seasons I want to see (24, The Sheild, etc).

sam h
08-30-2005, 01:41 AM
TV sucks. Only sports are worthwhile, and games are better watched in bars anyway.

wonderwes
08-30-2005, 01:46 AM
TV is bad except for live sports. Tivo is good.

Voltron87
08-30-2005, 01:47 AM
id miss sports and the daily show. other than that i dont watch tv. a bunch of my friends have on demand and i watch entourage there.

Sponger15SB
08-30-2005, 01:49 AM
Whats with all the TV haters in this thread? Why hasn't the pro TV crowd spoken up?

I'd kill myself without TV.

ononimo
08-30-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats with all the TV haters in this thread? Why hasn't the pro TV crowd spoken up?

[/ QUOTE ]

because saying that TV sucks is so 1.4.

08-30-2005, 01:56 AM
I think for some people tv is their best friend and SO.

polltard

Python49
08-30-2005, 01:57 AM
i rarely watch tv... instead i just post on forums, talk on IM, and read websites... emails.. etc, computer is my addiction

istewart
08-30-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'd kill myself without TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

TimM
08-30-2005, 02:02 AM
I never watch regular TV any more. Only DVD's and On Demand movies. I don't even like cable movies these days because I miss the pause and rewind features of On Demand. As for censored broadcast movies and lame shows, [censored] that [censored].

tdarko
08-30-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if it wasnt for televised sports, i could easily go w/o it.

[/ QUOTE ]
i will watch the good games or important games but i read the paper everyday so i get my info on there and if i want to catch stuff other than box scores i just get on the internet.

IronDragon1
08-30-2005, 02:17 AM
I don't own a TV and have never felt better

Then again I have a hi-speed connection, satellite radio, plenty of DVDs and an abundance of bars to watch sports-and do other stuff obviously-so there's no shortage of entertainment options

If it weren't for those I'd be dying for a TV.

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 02:34 AM
tv is a huge waste of time, I quit in high school and have never regretted it for a second.

bdk3clash
08-30-2005, 02:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tv is a huge waste of time, I quit in high school and have never regretted it for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, I still ask you if you watch [insert random TV show here] every time I see you.

Dantes
08-30-2005, 03:12 AM
saying you hate tv is probably the biggest bandwagony emo-douchey thing anyone can possibly say.

MarkL444
08-30-2005, 03:28 AM
i have started to absolutely hate tv the past few years. it wastes so much time and effects the way you think. i still watch it occasionally for sports, but part of me wants to give it up entirely. i am actually moving to europe in two months, and there is no way in hell im buying a tv when i get there, so i guess i will be giving it up.

MarkL444
08-30-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
saying you hate tv is probably the biggest bandwagony emo-douchey thing anyone can possibly say.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, saying "i hate tv" is so general that it can be difficult to understand. what i hate the most about tv is the commercials. for i guess many reasons. they are manipulative and brainwashing mostly.

now, there are a lot of tv shows that i really like and even more shows that i hear about and think that they sound cool. but i still think i am better off spending my time doing other things than watching them.

peachy
08-30-2005, 03:37 AM
I used to watch a few shows without missing them but in the past like 4 years i rarely watch TV...i just get to figity i guess...im sure if i started watching some show id get into it hahah but thats one of the reasons i dont watch any of those shows! It was a good thing though...when i went to Central America i wasnt bothered by the fact i had no tv...some of the people down there were freaking out...i was like whoa

smokingrobot
08-30-2005, 04:23 AM
i am pretty much meh when it comes to TV. movies are another thing however.

i could care less about cable and such, but probably couldnt live w/o a dvd player.

turnipmonster
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
if you're responding to me I didn't say I hated it, I said it's a waste of time. I could care less how much tv other people watch.

theghost
08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
AS most have said, it's a waste of time unless combined with some social activity (sports or tv poker with friends).

I usually check out some of the HBO lineup Sunday nights at the girlfriend's place with some takeout. Good times.

Cable internet at home but no cable TV.

Projector (http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/DetailPage?group=homeProduct&pls=infocus&bc=infocu s&pc=SP-4805&tab=desc&clist=017080322b5b:0dbb50001403e0&re t=Projectors-Home+Theater&pls5catname=Projectors-Home+Theater&WT.mc_n=adwords-infocus-4805&WT.mc_t=PPC) for DVDs highly recommended. Way bigger than plasma (I have an 80" diagonal) and looks awesome even without a screen, projected on the wall (great color, crisp picture). Also 2 dimensional so it's flatter than any flatscreen tv and invisible when powered down; doesn't take over the room like a TV does.

I watch about 1 movie a week on average (at home).

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Just for movies. No cable. Don't miss it. When its there I watch it. When its not, I do something better, or at least not worse.

tdarko
08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what is loving tv then?

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Wow man, you are so anti-that you are anti-anti super, hypercool totally awesome! I bet you wear white turtlenecks and smoke a bubble pipe backwards! What what! COOLDUDENESS.

El Barto
08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
I have lived without cable TV for 17 years (since I moved out of my parents house). You are missing nothing. I live in the mountains with no reception of any broadcast stations either. I use my TV to watch videos and nothing else. I watch Cspan on my computer sometimes. TV is completely unnecessary these days.

BTW, other than Cspan, are there any networks that broadcast a streaming live feed on the internet? I would be interested in trying some of these out.

BillNye
08-30-2005, 12:55 PM
I always liked TV...

InchoateHand
08-30-2005, 12:57 PM
BillNyeLie